I'm upgrading an 802.11B network to 802.11G, and I'm stuck on an
Inspiron 8200 with a TrueMobile 1180 card, which not only only does
802.11B, but doesn't appear to support WPA. [I'm running the 'latest'
drivers, as there's only one set, A00].

What are my options, replace the MiniPCI card with an 802.11G card
that comes with WPA drivers? Any reccomendations?

Thanks!

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading an 802.11B network to 802.11G, and I'm stuck
> on an
> Inspiron 8200 with a TrueMobile 1180 card, which not only
> only does
> 802.11B, but doesn't appear to support WPA. [I'm running
> the 'latest'
> drivers, as there's only one set, A00].
>
> What are my options, replace the MiniPCI card with an
> 802.11G card
> that comes with WPA drivers? Any reccomendations?
>
> Thanks!

Have a look here;
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=5823&first=true

It would appear that the 1450 will do what you want. WPA and
b/g. There also are a bunch
of PCMIA card type modules.

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=5823&first=true
>
>It would appear that the 1450 will do what you want.

Yeah, but it doesn't list the 8200. Is it still likely to work? It
lists the 8600, but I'm afraid if I don't get the right one that (for
instance) the antenna connectors will be wrong, and then I'll look
like a real idiot... 8*)

Thanks!

If you check the specs for the 1180 vs. the 1450 you
will find they are physically the same.

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>If you check the specs for the 1180 vs. the 1450 you
>will find they are physically the same.

Thanks, guys, I've got one on order. They patched me thru to parts
sales (yikes!) who assured me that it would fit. I then placed the
order online. I'll let you know!

Thanks!

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productlisting.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&category_id=5823&first=true
>>
>>It would appear that the 1450 will do what you want.
>
> Yeah, but it doesn't list the 8200. Is it still likely to work? It
> lists the 8600, but I'm afraid if I don't get the right one that (for
> instance) the antenna connectors will be wrong, and then I'll look
> like a real idiot... 8*)
>
> Thanks!

I'd guess they're pretty standard connectors. Look at buy.com or
zipzoomfly.com. You can buy a mini-pci G for under $30. Worth the gamble.

Tom