Anybody use PNY for memory?

Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
Please advise
Thanks

In article <21565-43353B37-460@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
yodasue@webtv.net says...

> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise

Memory is too critical to take chances with. I would go with
Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial. They may cost a little more, but you'll
get a reliable product that the respective manufacturers will stand
behind.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:40:39 -0400, yodasue@webtv.net wrote:

>Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
>Please advise
>Thanks

Yes.

Scotty

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2001

I have some in my old Gateway 400 with no problems, but if I had a
preference I would go Crucial. Have that in both my Gateway and my Dell
8300.

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise
> Thanks

I have had few, if any, bad experiences using PNY brand memory. Regardless of
the brand, memory must meet or exceed the specs of the system in which it is
being installed. A no-strings warranty from the seller helps, too... Ben Myers

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:40:39 -0400, yodasue@webtv.net wrote:

>Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
>Please advise
>Thanks

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:53:28 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
<SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:

>In article <21565-43353B37-460@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
>yodasue@webtv.net says...
>
>> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
>> Please advise
>
> Memory is too critical to take chances with. I would go with
>Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial. They may cost a little more, but you'll
>get a reliable product that the respective manufacturers will stand
>behind.

PNY has been around a long time, and have a good reputation, at least
as good as Kingston. (IMHO, YMMV)

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise
> Thanks

PNY has no consistency with their RAM modules. That is why you'll hear some
say they love it while others hate it. They buy there components from
whoever is cheapest at the time.

Memory, at today's prices, is nothing to take chances with. I would
recommend Corsair above all else, Crucial would be #2 on my recommended
list, and OCZ would be #3. Buy from those and you'll have known good quality
RAM.

Bobby

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:53:28 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
> <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
>
>>In article <21565-43353B37-460@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
>>yodasue@webtv.net says...
>>
>>> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
>>> Please advise
>>
>> Memory is too critical to take chances with. I would go with
>>Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial. They may cost a little more, but you'll
>>get a reliable product that the respective manufacturers will stand
>>behind.
>>

> PNY has been around a long time, and have a good reputation, at least
> as good as Kingston. (IMHO, YMMV)

My wife used to work for PNY. I'd love to know what makes the poster
think "Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial" are good brands and not PNY. PNY
used to test all modules on million dollar HP memory testers and I'd assume
they still do. I would rate PNY as being in, at least, the same group of
companies mentioned (I don't know what THOSE companies do to insure
the quality of their products).

"george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

> "PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 07:53:28 -0700, Dr. Anton T. Squeegee
>> <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <21565-43353B37-460@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net>,
>>>yodasue@webtv.net says...

>>> Memory is too critical to take chances with. I would go with
>>>Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial. They may cost a little more, but you'll
>>>get a reliable product that the respective manufacturers will stand
>>>behind.
>>>

>> PNY has been around a long time, and have a good reputation, at least
>> as good as Kingston. (IMHO, YMMV)
>
> My wife used to work for PNY. I'd love to know what makes the poster
> think "Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial" are good brands and not PNY. PNY
> used to test all modules on million dollar HP memory testers and I'd
> assume
> they still do. I would rate PNY as being in, at least, the same group of
> companies mentioned (I don't know what THOSE companies do to insure
> the quality of their products).

George;

I build a lot of systems. I build both high end MPC and low end
budget...depends on what the client wants.

PNY has always been the most problematic of the major brands in my
experience. Higher failure rate, and often modules made in the same
sequence have radically different SPD installed.

I will generally steer clear of PNY if any other option exists.

I rated the others on my own experience...Corsair is by far the most
consistent and reliable memory I have found. Their XMS is very stable,
overclocks well, and produces no errors. Each module is tested for an
extended period on a testbed prior to packaging. Crucial and OCZ are also
top shelf product. I rate Corsair higher due to consistency and to superior
customer support.

PNY is okay for a budget RAM, but for serious applications I would not
consider it.

Just my $.02, based upon experience.

Bobby

pny is the only company that i have problems with getting to honor rebate.
and i do lots of rebates... the memory is ok, but it is the after rebate
price that makes it attractive... without being able to rely on them
actually paying out on their rebates you have no price advantage vs the
likes of crucial. and with crucial you can buy with confidence with
compatibility guaranteed and returns honored.

<yodasue@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise
> Thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> "george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message

>>> PNY has been around a long time, and have a good reputation, at least
>>> as good as Kingston. (IMHO, YMMV)
>>
>> My wife used to work for PNY. I'd love to know what makes the poster
>> think "Corsair, Kingston, or Crucial" are good brands and not PNY. PNY
>> used to test all modules on million dollar HP memory testers and I'd
>> assume
>> they still do. I would rate PNY as being in, at least, the same group of
>> companies mentioned (I don't know what THOSE companies do to insure
>> the quality of their products).
>>
> George;
>
> I build a lot of systems. I build both high end MPC and low end
> budget...depends on what the client wants.
>
> PNY has always been the most problematic of the major brands in my
> experience. Higher failure rate, and often modules made in the same
> sequence have radically different SPD installed.
>
> I will generally steer clear of PNY if any other option exists.
>
> I rated the others on my own experience...Corsair is by far the most
> consistent and reliable memory I have found. Their XMS is very stable,
> overclocks well, and produces no errors. Each module is tested for an
> extended period on a testbed prior to packaging. Crucial and OCZ are also
> top shelf product. I rate Corsair higher due to consistency and to
> superior customer support.
>
> PNY is okay for a budget RAM, but for serious applications I would not
> consider it.
>
> Just my $.02, based upon experience.
>
> Bobby

Bobby,

Experience is what counts. I've never had occasion to use PNY memory (when
I worked at HP, PNY was too "small potatoes" to even be in consideration for
use)...and I don't build systems for others and not THAT many systems for
myself.
What DOES amaze me is that they'd spend tens of millions of dollars on test
systems giving them the capability to always ship first rate product yet
that doesn't
seem to be your experience with them.

Thanks for the additional info.

George

Mike

Splendid

yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise
> Thanks

One problem I've had with Dell laptops is that the memory won't fit.
Dell has a habit of putting two simms head to head. They use short
ram. Standard ram is just a tiny bit taller. Can't get two of them
to fit. The memory vendors don't tell you about this. Doesn't seem to
be any way to tell without buying and trying. I tried filing off some
of the circuit board. Killed the ram. They must have traces really
close to the edge.
mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

yodasue@webtv.net wrote:
> Looking to pehaps purchase added memory for my notebook from them.
> Please advise
> Thanks

I once had a mail in rebate through PNY that they didn't honor for some
BS reason. I have never purchased another product from them and never
will again in the future.