Only Starts In Safe Mode

My buddy has XP Home, and out of the blue, it starts in Safe Mode, and
nothing else...I had him hit the F8 key while booting, choose to start
normal, but it starts in Safe Mode...He hasn't added anything new, so I'm at
a loss...

Anyone know how I can start this thing normally? He has no CD for it either,
so I can't slap the disk in there to repair it...

Thanks for any input...

--
*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
The proctologist called...they found your head.

    Hi

    After hitting the F8 key can he access a screen that has 'Last Known Good
    Configuration' as an option? If so, try that to see if you can access
    Windows normally.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "The Baba" <hoofaaa@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > My buddy has XP Home, and out of the blue, it starts in Safe Mode, and
    > nothing else...I had him hit the F8 key while booting, choose to start
    > normal, but it starts in Safe Mode...He hasn't added anything new, so I'm
    > at
    > a loss...
    >
    > Anyone know how I can start this thing normally? He has no CD for it
    > either,
    > so I can't slap the disk in there to repair it...
    >
    > Thanks for any input...
    >
    > --
    > *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
    > The proctologist called...they found your head.

    Perhaps try Start/Run and type in msconfig and hit enter.

    Go the the boot.ini tab and untick /Safeboot
    Then go to the general tab and choose normal startup.

    If that fails click start and right click My Computer.
    Choose Properties.

    Go to the Advanced Tab.

    Click on the settings button under Startup and recovery.
    Click on the edit button on the next screen.
    Remove the following text from the boot.ini file and save.

    /safeboot:minimal or /safeboot:network

    Restart the computer.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > After hitting the F8 key can he access a screen that has 'Last Known Good
    > Configuration' as an option? If so, try that to see if you can access
    > Windows normally.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "The Baba" <hoofaaa@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > My buddy has XP Home, and out of the blue, it starts in Safe Mode, and
    > > nothing else...I had him hit the F8 key while booting, choose to start
    > > normal, but it starts in Safe Mode...He hasn't added anything new, so I'm
    > > at
    > > a loss...
    > >
    > > Anyone know how I can start this thing normally? He has no CD for it
    > > either,
    > > so I can't slap the disk in there to repair it...
    > >
    > > Thanks for any input...
    > >
    > > --
    > > *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
    > > The proctologist called...they found your head.

    WD says:
    >>After hitting the F8 key can he access a screen that has 'Last Known Good
    Configuration' as an option? If so, try that to see if you can access
    Windows normally.>>

    Nope, nothing works...So what I had to do is put in a WinXP Pro disk I had
    to try to repair it, but it still started in Safe Mode even after I chose
    the repair option...Looks like it's gonna get a new install...

    Thanks anyway...

    --
    *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
    Welcome to America...now speak English.

    > WD says:
    >>>After hitting the F8 key can he access a screen that has 'Last Known Good
    > Configuration' as an option? If so, try that to see if you can access
    > Windows normally.>>
    >
    > Nope, nothing works...So what I had to do is put in a WinXP Pro disk I had
    > to try to repair it, but it still started in Safe Mode even after I chose
    > the repair option...Looks like it's gonna get a new install...
    >
    > Thanks anyway...
    >
    > --
    > Welcome to America...now speak English.

    Hi

    The 'Repair' install via Michael Stevens web site doesn't work?

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows XP