Sign in with
Your question

I need a reccomendation on monitor resolutions

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 16, 2009 9:37:32 PM

I need some advice here as I can't seem to figure out what I'm looking for.

I currently have a 1280x1024 native display. It a septure brand and has served me well for years, but its has several issues that bother me. 1. Greys always have a slight color cast (and adjusting doesn't seem to help) , and the black is uneven, bleeding from the cathodes at the sides.

So I want a new one, but I'm not sure what resolution will work best for me. I want either 1900x1200 or 1680 x1050, but when I went to my local best buy all, yes every last one, of their larger monitors were 1900x1080. There wasn't a 1900x1200 unit in the store.

I use my computer for 3D graphic arts, and gaming. Thus I need the tricky combo of decent color accuracy with a decent response time. I'm most likely not going be watching TV or attaching an xbox to my monitor.

Obviously graphic arts programs could care less about the resolution for compatibility. Its the gaming I'm worried about.

So my question is thus, is a 1900x1080 monitor compatible with games in native resolution, particularly some older games like STALKER SoC, HL2, or KOTOR? Seems like newer games will be, as 1080 monitors is are going to be all you can buy, but I'm curious if I'm wandering into bad thing buying a 1080 monitor.

I'd also like to know if 1080 monitors are good as they seem to be much cheaper than WUXGA 1200 ones, so they are attractive for a dual monitor solution.

If anybody could shed some light on this, I would be thankful

a c 193 C Monitor
July 17, 2009 7:12:11 AM

Is 3D graphic arts a hobby or a profession? I will assume it's a hobby or something you are currently in school studying.

The higher the resolution you play games at, the more powerful video card you will need.

Currently all 1920 x 1080 monitors that I know of uses TN panel tech which is cheap to manufacture, thus affordable to consumers, but have the following drawbacks:

1. Viewing angles - Colors shift as you turn your head, some monitors shifts more than others.
2. Adequate color accuracy for the average consumer, not much so for professional use.
3. Backlight bleeding - Backlight shines through the screen even though you set a black background. All LCD monitors suffers from this, but TN panels tend to have more issues. Not really an issue for the average consumer unless blacks appears like dark gray.

1920 x 1200 LCD monitors uses TN, *VA, or IPS panel tech; each with increasing price tags due to increased cost of manufacture. Brick and mortar stores like Best Buy typically only stock TN panel monitors since they are pretty cheap.

Put a 24" TN panel monitor (~ $300) next to a 24" PVA panel monitro (~ $500 - ~ $600) next to a 24" IPS panel monitor (~ $600 - ~ $1,400) and guess which one will be flying off the shelf.

I have a 1920 x 1080 (Asus VK246H, you can do a search for my review in this forum). You can play some older games at 1920 x 1080, but it varies from game to game. HL2 can definitely be play at native resolution. I even tested Far Cry 1 (the original) and it did play properly on a 16:9 aspect ratio screen. It turns out the Asus VK246H is actually a good gaming monitor (not what I bought it for). Input lag is extremely low, about 2ms or 3ms.

See following review (which came out months after I purchased my Asus):

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-asus-...

Overall, the average 16:9 LCD monitor will be adequate for the general consumer.
July 17, 2009 8:14:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. And yes I'm studying 3D animation, so while 100+% sVGA gamut color correctness isn't critical, I'd still like if I pick a pink color at home on my monitor it doesn't end up neon fusha on the schools calibrated top end displays.

Yah I needed up update my signature, I have better hardware.

Also, I've found it maddening to try and find any reliable way to identify the better PVA or IPS monitors online. It seems any more with monitors is all about OMG HD video! Though I understand the 16:9 switch is primarily motivated by manufacturers because it lets them make panels at a better cost, not actual market forces. The other selling point seems to be lets post insane contrast ratios. Nobody seem to care about the actual panel technology.

From what I gathered a decent reviewer is going to admit that anything over 1000:1 contrast is silly. Add in the fact that "response time" has less to do with the actual panel's capability to avoid ghosting and more to do with the electronics that decode the signal and the online specifications seem even more like a crap shoot.

Also does anybody know of a website that actually reviews monitors that are still for sale? Far to often I see a review saying X monitor is fantastic only to find its discontinued.

That and the disappointment of the brick and motor stores and their limited selection, double for the iffy limited selection in my locale. Its pretty much Wal Mart (whey they don't even take them out of the box), Target (same difference), Best Buy and a few discount computer shops that carry super low end gear. Actually seeing a monitor in person is worth 1000 online review IMO. Hell at best buy one TN panel displayed neutral grays while another had a very strong green cast, despite being the same brand, model series, and configured identically.
Related resources
a c 193 C Monitor
July 17, 2009 8:35:09 AM

If you want a good cheap monitor, then I suggest the 22" Dell 2209WA which uses an e-IPS panel. Typically sells on Dell's Business section for $200 - $300. 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Next up on the monitor chain would be the Dell 2408WFP (S-PVA panel) or the HP LP2475 (H-IPS panel). Those are 24" monitors an sells for about $500 - $600.

Another notch up in price is the 26" Planar PX2611w for about $800. Really nice monitor, I have it next to my NEC LCD2690WUXi in a dual monitor setup. It uses the same H=IPS as my NEC. Great image quality and very low input lag for gaming.

Now we enter the "really expensive" section of $1,100+. Here lies the 24" NEC LCD2490WUXi and the 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi. The 2490 is the only standard color gamut 24" in production making it extremely desirable for those who wants the best color accuracy as possible and are willing to shell out for it. The 2690 has wide color gamut. Both of these monitors have extra electronics to produce "superior" colors and image quality. That's why the 2690WUXI SpectraView version is around $400 - $500 more than the similar Planar PX2611w. SpectraView is an included colorimeter.

As a student, I am sure your university does not require you to spend $$$$ on a monitor. So I'm sure they won't mind if you use a cheaper TN panel monitor for your projects; but I could be wrong.

The following are two site that do LCD monitor reviews:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

http://tftcentral.co.uk/
July 17, 2009 9:03:44 PM

I'm pretty sure the school doesn't mind, but I could be judged on color selection.

Unfortunately I can't find the Dell 2209WA available for sale anywhere I can buy in the US. Dell won't even sell it on their website. Though I would strongly prefer buying locally so the easy return option is open to me, and the ability to review them with my own eyes.

So far everything I can find locally is TN panels, and honestly my budget of >$300US is going to limit me from any other kind of display it seems.

So far I see the Dell 2409W (along with the other xW model series) is available, and decently reviewed, though lacking in features and is TN panel.

That and I have the LG l22wt in mind, as its 16:10. But I hear when calibrated it exhibits color banding.

July 18, 2009 6:50:59 AM

I just bought a ASUS VH232h at my local Best Buy...

I have to say I'm kinda disappointed. Not actually becasue its all around bad, but the terrible back light ruins an otherwise excellent bargain. The color is good, and the TN display doesn't cause the colors to distort from the change in viewing angle just from your eye to the edge of the monitor. This is quite unlike the dell s2409, where purple changes to magenta in as little as 10 degrees.

But I don't know if I have a bad unit or what, but the ASUS's back light bleeds terribly around the edges. When I play fallout the top of screen has a line of bright light bleed into the frame, and the blacks wash out to about a 15-20% grey on the bottom.

Luckily I can return it. I don't know if I should try another unit of the same model, or just get something all together different. Ahh the stuff you can't see in the stores...

a c 193 C Monitor
July 18, 2009 1:00:20 PM

TN panels seems to have more issues with backlight bleeding than other LCD panel techs.

My Asus VK246H has two patches of blue light bleeding at the bottom of the screen each is approximately 1" and 1.5" wide. I decided to keep it 'cause:

1. Bought from Newegg, didn't want to pay shipping for a replacement.
2. That monitor is only used maybe 5 hours a week, sometime not at all.
July 18, 2009 6:41:22 PM

Since the Dell 2209WA isn't for sale in the US, I can't afford anything but a crappy TN panel.

I don't whether to try and exchange my ASUS or buy the other Dell despite the side to side color hue changing issues.
a c 193 C Monitor
July 19, 2009 12:36:57 AM

It seems the Dell 2209WA has been discontinued; not sure if or when a new version will be replacing it.

I would exchange your LCD monitor for another one. As the sales rep if you can examine the replacement monitor in the store before you take it home.
July 19, 2009 3:15:04 AM

LG who makes the panels for Dell's 2209WA hasn't been able to keep up with demand. They took it off the website until they can get production up to a level that can meet demand.
July 26, 2009 6:26:51 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on the WA model dell monitor you mentioned, it sounded nice. But I refuse to buy monitors online with such iffy return policies.

But I found a solution. I returned the ASUS, and tried the Acer H233H on sale there. I found it to be acceptable if not great. The backlight is much better than the ASUS. There is still a tiny bit of bleed at the top/bottom, but its low enough I can only just notice it only in the very dark scenes in movies/game and its only 1/4 inch. The color hue is also much better, with whites not displaying the wierd "mulit-color" white normally found on TN displays. Its hard to describe just what I mean but when I saw white on the ASUS I had the senstion I was seeing colors while as the same time my mind was telling me it was white. Alas the monitor doesn't do grayscaling color value very well at the 0-10 blacks, but after some playing around I've found an acceptable compromise.

If I had the money I would drop it on a higher priced non-TN display, but as a poor college student I'm rather have an acceptable monitor and be able to buy a mattress when I move VS. having an MPA display and sleeping on the floor.

Besides sound like the 1st 2 years of my program is all old school pencil and paper art, heck its so analog old-school that literally I get to use sticks of burnt wood, and pencils made without any wood :D 

We don't get to the 3D stuff until the 3rd year, so I can maybe save up.
July 31, 2009 4:47:33 AM

I bought the Dell 2209wa about three months ago - and am very happy with it.

See the post I just placed about it on this thread for reviews and further info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55005-3-dell-2209wa

Also, while a college student are, are you taking advantage of the great software deals available? Such as MS Office Ultimate (yes ultimate with EVERYTHING) for only $65 (v. about $600 retail)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/99183-8-vista-ultimat...

Many college students don't know about that one. I assume those in the graphics program are aware of the great deals from Adobe through their local college bookstore. They vary a bit, but I purchased the Web Design Suite - which retails for about $1700 for a little less than $300. Went in to Buy just Dreamweaver (regular $399 student priced at $199 - half off) when I learned I could buy the suite for only about $80 more - and get Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and other programs as part of the package.
!