DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED

August 1, 2005 4:21:04 AM

When trying to save photographs from my hard drive to a CD-RW, I always get
the message 'Disk is write-protected. Remove protection.'
Please can some-one advise me as to how I go about removing the protection?
There must be an 'Enable' tab somewhere but I can't find it.

More about : disk write protected

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:26:15 AM

Have you used the following steps?

To copy files and folders to a CD

1.. Insert a blank, writable CD into the CD recorder.
2.. Open My Computer.
3.. Click the files or folders you want to copy to the CD. To select more
than one file, hold down the CTRL key while you click the files you want.
Then, under File and Folder Tasks, click Copy this file, Copy this folder,
or Copy the selected items.
If the files are located in My Pictures, under Picture Tasks, click Copy
to CD or Copy all items to CD, and then skip to step 5.

4.. In the Copy Items dialog box, click the CD recording drive, and then
click Copy.
5.. In My Computer, double-click the CD recording drive. Windows displays
a temporary area where the files are held before they are copied to the CD.
Verify that the files and folders that you intend to copy to the CD appear
under Files Ready to be Written to the CD.
6.. Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD. Windows
displays the CD Writing Wizard. Follow the instructions in the wizard.
Notes

a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
b.. Do not copy more files to the CD than it will hold. Standard CDs hold
up to 650 megabytes (MB). High-capacity CDs hold up to 850 MB.
c.. Be sure that you have enough disk space on your hard disk to store the
temporary files that are created during the CD writing process. For a
standard CD, Windows reserves up to 700 MB of the available free space. For
a high-capacity CD, Windows reserves up to 1 gigabyte (GB) of the available
free space.
d.. After you copy files or folders to the CD, it is useful to view the CD
to confirm that the files are copied. For more information, click Related
Topics.

To add more files to a CD

1.. Insert the writable CD into the CD recorder.
2.. Open My Computer, and check that there is available disk space on the
CD to add more files.
To check the available disk space on the CD, in My Computer, right-click
the CD recording drive, and then click Properties.

[...]

If the CD is not full, you can add more files to the CD by repeating this
process.

Notes

a.. To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
b.. After you copy files or folders to the CD, it is useful to view the CD

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Bushman Bob" <Katchana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to save photographs from my hard drive to a CD-RW, I always
> get
> the message 'Disk is write-protected. Remove protection.'
> Please can some-one advise me as to how I go about removing the
> protection?
> There must be an 'Enable' tab somewhere but I can't find it.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:01:33 PM

If a CD is write-protected, it means that it is closed. Or possobly not
formatted.

[[CD-R stands for Compact Disc-Recordable and can be recorded only once.
You may continue to add files until the CD is full as long as the disc is
not closed (write-protected). You cannot delete, rename, rearrange, or
alter the files or file structure on the CD after recording.]]
http://www.uwec.edu/help/CDBurner/faqs.htm

Open CD:
[[If a CD is open, it means that further information can be added to it. It
is not write protected.]]

Closed CD:
[[If a CD is closed, it is permanently write-protected. No further
information can be added to the disc. Closing a CD is analogous to moving
the write-protect tab on a floppy disc to the write-protect position.
However, unlike floppies, you can only change the write-protect setting on a
burned CD once. Once the disc is write-protected (closed), this setting is
permanent.]]
http://www.uwec.edu/help/CDBurner/faqs.htm#terms

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EE09EB5D-1965-4A0F-9001-B599237C996E@microsoft.com,
Bushman Bob <Katchana@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When trying to save photographs from my hard drive to a CD-RW, I always
> get the message 'Disk is write-protected. Remove protection.'
> Please can some-one advise me as to how I go about removing the
> protection? There must be an 'Enable' tab somewhere but I can't find it.
June 18, 2009 2:49:04 PM

in my computer when i send or copy the file or folder from my pc to usb drive i always found the disk is write protection. how can i solve it
!