Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

August 1, 2005 6:43:03 AM

I tried to run the above utility to ensure that I can transfer details to my
PC.

When it asked me where I wanted to copy the data to, I pointed to the CD
drive. I went away and then came back and said it would take two (2) cds,
which would have to be formatted to 100mb. I only have 700mb CDs and when I
inserted this it said that it could not read the CD drive.

Can I back the info to my C drive (this is the only drive and partion) that
I have, burn it to a CD, copy it to the new machine’s hard drive and carry on
from there?

Additionally, will it copy my Outlook contacts? Will it also copy my
Freeserve (internet settings) and passwords?

Any help offered most appreciated.

Pank.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:29:56 PM

When using Windows XP's Backup, the total size of the backup file must not
exceed the formatted capacity of the CD (approximately 533MB). If you need to
backup an entire drive or a system volume exceeding 533 MB, you need
to use a third party backup and restore program designed to span the file
over multiple CDs (or backup to a DVD if your have a DVD recorder).

You'll need a third-party CD Recording program, such as Nero,
in order to record and span the backup file to multiple CDs.

Visit: http://www.nero.com/us/index.html

Using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/c...

HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pank" wrote:

| I tried to run the above utility to ensure that I can transfer details to my
| PC.
|
| When it asked me where I wanted to copy the data to, I pointed to the CD
| drive. I went away and then came back and said it would take two (2) cds,
| which would have to be formatted to 100mb. I only have 700mb CDs and when I
| inserted this it said that it could not read the CD drive.
|
| Can I back the info to my C drive (this is the only drive and partion) that
| I have, burn it to a CD, copy it to the new machine’s hard drive and carry on
| from there?
|
| Additionally, will it copy my Outlook contacts? Will it also copy my
| Freeserve (internet settings) and passwords?
|
| Any help offered most appreciated.
|
| Pank.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:29:57 PM

Carey,

Thanks for your help. I will read up the links that U have provided.

Regards

Pank

!