[40K] Vespids photos

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3pnnasFb1ab3U1@individual.net...
> Just got home from GD UK 2005 (had to leave early before the smell of geek
> sweat choked me). Got some pics of the Vespids from the Tau showcase
> cabinet, and I've put them up at
>
> http://wh40k.worldofspack.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Spack52&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
>
> (I'll put more 40K pics up later when I've recovered).

Forgot to mention there are pics of the WIP 40K scale Tau Manta (it's about
48" wingspan), and the WIP Thunderhawk Container dropship.

Dan

In article <3pnnasFb1ab3U1@individual.net>, Spack wrote:
> Just got home from GD UK 2005 (had to leave early before the smell of geek
> sweat choked me). Got some pics of the Vespids from the Tau showcase
> cabinet, and I've put them up at
>
> http://wh40k.worldofspack.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Spack52&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Interesting, but I liked the leaked concept sketch better. Except the
feet I don't think there is anything actually wrong with it, but it's
not as good as I hoped. Perhaps a less dull paint scheme would help.

--
Joakim

The wings look a bit chunky and artificial (as in, too jump pack-like)
and the models don't look as though they have any place in a Tau army
save for the weapon designs, but in themselves they're pretty nice.

Philip Bowles

Oh, and on the subject, did GW have anything to say about what else the
Tau have coming?

Philip Bowles

Spack wrote:
> Just got home from GD UK 2005

Did you say "Hi" to Robbie?

> Got some pics of the Vespids

> http://wh40k.worldofspack.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Spack52&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

I really like these, tho they don't really look like fliers. They will
be *excellent* bases for conversions for WFB.

\-|-/
| A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

>>> http://wh40k.worldofspack.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Spack52&op=mo...
>>

>> (I'll put more 40K pics up later when I've recovered).
>
>Forgot to mention there are pics of the WIP 40K scale Tau Manta (it's about
>48" wingspan), and the WIP Thunderhawk Container dropship.

You also forget to mention the new Elysians - another weapon pack worth
getting when the shotguns come out, I feel (for the looks, of course,
since the weapons are so bad). The Manta's okay, but from this picture
it looks identical to the Epic version, with no greater level of
detail, which surely can't be right for a Titan-sized vehicle.

Philip Bowles

>Interesting, but I liked the leaked concept sketch better. Except the
>feet I don't think there is anything actually wrong with it, but it's
>not as good as I hoped.

Agreed. I wasn't sold on the head in the sketch, but the weapon design
(while not bad in the plastic/metal) was better, the wings were
actually insect wings rather than generic GW batwings, they didn't have
the Dark Eldar-esque armour and no clawed feet (what's with that for a
race of insects?) As for the heads, what's with those pole things - if
they're pretending to be antennae they're doing a very bad job. There's
nothing waspish left about these models save for the name and they look
somewhat too generic.

>Perhaps a less dull paint scheme would help.

GW painter 1: You know these new Tau wasp-people? The vespids? I've
been thinking about colour schemes - what do you think would be
suitable for a wasp man?

GW painter 2 (aka John Hwang): I know, how about grey?

Philip Bowles

><pbow...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> Oh, and on the subject, did GW have anything to say about what else the
>> Tau have coming?
>
>Plastic Stealth suits,

Okay, though I'd have preferred plastic Pathfinders - or at the very
least a new sprue with Pathfinder helmets, rail rifles and extra pulse
carbines that could be put in an 8-man Fire Warrior set.

>re-cut battlesuit sprue with new heads and other bits
>and fixed legs,

Good news - if *all* the bits are new it would be great news, though
they can't fix the Battlesuits properly without redoing the torso (as
FW did on its special character variant).

>new ethereal models (wearing some armour).

New options for Ethereals are welcome, and the basic model with symbols
of office is not among the highlights of the Tau range, so this is
welcome, but are we due anything new other than Vespids? The Tau really
need at least one new vehicle type, preferably one with a variety of
options to make suit-less armies more viable, and they should have more
than two Tau infantry types that aren't Battlesuits.

Philip Bowles

>In article <1127731774.243349.37...@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>>>Interesting, but I liked the leaked concept sketch better. Except the
>>>feet I don't think there is anything actually wrong with it, but it's
>>>not as good as I hoped.
>>
>> Agreed. I wasn't sold on the head in the sketch, but the weapon design
>> (while not bad in the plastic/metal) was better,
>
>The weapon design has also changed away from an obvious flamer type
>design to something else. That might mean that it's not going to be a
>template weapon. Rumours are floating around that it's a S2 (but S8
>for instakill purposes) AP3 radiation weapon of some kind.

I never expected it to be a template weapon once I realised every model
in a Vespid unit would be armed with it, even in small fire teams - I
had in mind a squad weapon that ignores cover and conceptually shoots
out a jet of flame, but doesn't use flamer rules.

Here's a thought - were these things actually called Vespids at Games
Day and labelled as such, or are we just calling them that based on the
concept sketch? They really don't have anything in common with the
original design apart from wings and special weapons, and if GW decided
early on it wanted a jump pack special weapons team, any race they
settled on would have those characteristics at least. From the models
it certainly looks as though they've done away with the wasp idea and
invented another race to take their place.

Philip Bowles

In article <1127731774.243349.37310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com wrote:
>>Interesting, but I liked the leaked concept sketch better. Except the
>>feet I don't think there is anything actually wrong with it, but it's
>>not as good as I hoped.
>
> Agreed. I wasn't sold on the head in the sketch, but the weapon design
> (while not bad in the plastic/metal) was better,

The weapon design has also changed away from an obvious flamer type
design to something else. That might mean that it's not going to be a
template weapon. Rumours are floating around that it's a S2 (but S8
for instakill purposes) AP3 radiation weapon of some kind.

> the wings were
> actually insect wings rather than generic GW batwings, they didn't have
> the Dark Eldar-esque armour and no clawed feet (what's with that for a
> race of insects?) As for the heads, what's with those pole things - if
> they're pretending to be antennae they're doing a very bad job. There's
> nothing waspish left about these models save for the name and they look
> somewhat too generic.
>
>>Perhaps a less dull paint scheme would help.
>
> GW painter 1: You know these new Tau wasp-people? The vespids? I've
> been thinking about colour schemes - what do you think would be
> suitable for a wasp man?
>
> GW painter 2 (aka John Hwang): I know, how about grey?

That would explain the paint scheme.
;-)

--
Joakim

pbowles@aol.com wrote on 26 Sep 2005 03:38:30 -0700:

>>> (I'll put more 40K pics up later when I've recovered).
>>
>> Forgot to mention there are pics of the WIP 40K scale Tau Manta (it's
>> about 48" wingspan), and the WIP Thunderhawk Container dropship.
>
> You also forget to mention the new Elysians - another weapon pack worth
> getting when the shotguns come out, I feel (for the looks, of course,
> since the weapons are so bad). The Manta's okay, but from this picture
> it looks identical to the Epic version, with no greater level of
> detail, which surely can't be right for a Titan-sized vehicle.

Yeah, forgot the Elysians - there's a pic of the shotguns in the same
gallery album now.

The Manta is just a barebones WIP - I'd guess that as the hull gets detailed
there will be lots of it.

Dan

> pbowles@aol.com wrote on 26 Sep 2005 03:38:30 -0700:

> Yeah, forgot the Elysians - there's a pic of the shotguns in the same
> gallery album now.

The shotguns aren't bad but don't really match the style of the rest of the
Imperial weapons. Too much like real world shotguns rather than the "fat
and stubby" look of most GW weapons.

--

-smithdoerr

<pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message
> Oh, and on the subject, did GW have anything to say about what else the
> Tau have coming?

Plastic Stealth suits, re-cut battlesuit sprue with new heads and other bits
and fixed legs, new ethereal models (wearing some armour).

Rob

> ><pbow...@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Oh, and on the subject, did GW have anything to say about what else the
>>> Tau have coming?
>>
>>Plastic Stealth suits,
>
> Okay, though I'd have preferred plastic Pathfinders - or at the very
> least a new sprue with Pathfinder helmets, rail rifles and extra pulse
> carbines that could be put in an 8-man Fire Warrior set.

There could be plastic pathfinder, not much has been said on new pathfinder
models other than that there will be a new pathfinder drone controller model
who controls up to 3 sniper drones.

Rob

smithdoerr wrote on Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:02:40 -0400:

> "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message news:3pq1luFbkv9iU1@individual.net...
>> pbowles@aol.com wrote on 26 Sep 2005 03:38:30 -0700:
>
>> Yeah, forgot the Elysians - there's a pic of the shotguns in the same
>> gallery album now.
>
> The shotguns aren't bad but don't really match the style of the rest of
> the Imperial weapons. Too much like real world shotguns rather than the
> "fat and stubby" look of most GW weapons.

But they seem to fit the Elysians, which appear to be of more realistic
proportions than the GW range of figs.

Dan

> smithdoerr wrote on Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:02:40 -0400:
>

>> "Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> pbowles@aol.com wrote on 26 Sep 2005 03:38:30 -0700:
>>
>>> Yeah, forgot the Elysians - there's a pic of the shotguns in the same
>>> gallery album now.
>>
>> The shotguns aren't bad but don't really match the style of the rest of
>> the Imperial weapons. Too much like real world shotguns rather than the
>> "fat and stubby" look of most GW weapons.
>>

> But they seem to fit the Elysians, which appear to be of more realistic
> proportions than the GW range of figs.

That's true. I guess oversized weapons would look weird in the Elysians'
more normal proportioned hands.

--

-smithdoerr

Spack wrote to pbowles@aol.com on Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:43:10 +0100:

>>> Forgot to mention there are pics of the WIP 40K scale Tau Manta (it's
>>> about 48" wingspan), and the WIP Thunderhawk Container dropship.
>>
>> You also forget to mention the new Elysians - another weapon pack worth
>> getting when the shotguns come out, I feel (for the looks, of course,
>> since the weapons are so bad). The Manta's okay, but from this picture
>> it looks identical to the Epic version, with no greater level of
>> detail, which surely can't be right for a Titan-sized vehicle.
>
> Yeah, forgot the Elysians - there's a pic of the shotguns in the same
> gallery album now.

Gah, someone on B&C just pointed out the base on the Elysian on the left, I
never even noticed it. Looks like a round ended cavalry base.

Dan

In article <1127738367.017516.162850@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com wrote:

>>> Agreed. I wasn't sold on the head in the sketch, but the weapon design
>>> (while not bad in the plastic/metal) was better,
>>
>>The weapon design has also changed away from an obvious flamer type
>>design to something else. That might mean that it's not going to be a
>>template weapon. Rumours are floating around that it's a S2 (but S8
>>for instakill purposes) AP3 radiation weapon of some kind.
>
> I never expected it to be a template weapon once I realised every model
> in a Vespid unit would be armed with it, even in small fire teams - I
> had in mind a squad weapon that ignores cover and conceptually shoots
> out a jet of flame, but doesn't use flamer rules.

This
http://www.retribution40k.net/GD2005/NEW/P1010066.jpg
makes AP2 or AP3 sound quite likely.

--
Joakim

In article <1127738367.017516.162...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
pbow...@aol.com wrote:

>> I never expected it to be a template weapon once I realised every model
>> in a Vespid unit would be armed with it, even in small fire teams - I
>> had in mind a squad weapon that ignores cover and conceptually shoots
>> out a jet of flame, but doesn't use flamer rules.
>

>This
>http://www.retribution40k.net/GD2005/NEW/P1010066.jpg
>makes AP2 or AP3 sound quite likely.

Actually, the more I look at these models the less I like them, and the
Tau should really have new vehicles capable of anti-Marine work rather
than having to rely on suits and Vespids.

Philip Bowles

>> Actually, the more I look at these models the less I like them, and the
>> Tau should really have new vehicles capable of anti-Marine work rather
>> than having to rely on suits and Vespids.
>
>Hmmm... anti-marine...
>A S2 AP3- weapon is actually less effective against marines than the
>Tau standard S5 AP5 per hit (1/6 wounds x 1/1 failed saves =
>1/6 killÃs verus 2/3 wounds x 1/3 failed saves = 2/9 kills).

Ah, but how many shots do they get and are they less than 10 ppm? If
they're assault 2 with any kind of range, they'll be at least the equal
of pulse carbines.

> OTOH if
>the 'count as S8 for instakill' part of the rumour is true the weapon
>would be better against for example characters, Necrons, Death Company
>and Chosen of Khorne (who gets 'feel no pain', right?).

And would be no different against anyone else. If this thing is some
kind of flamer type weapon it should have Ignore Cover at the very
least.

> Of course
>all this ignores things like number of shots (I'm guessing Assault
>1)

If so they'll be unusable unless Vespids are either very cheap or have
some really good special rules. But I doubt we'll go from rumours of
template weapons down to assault 1 - my guess is either assault 1 blast
(auxiliaries are supposed to fill gaps in thed Tau army, and no blast
weapons is a gap, albeit a characterful one) or assault 2. Assault 3
would just be too many dice for a unit unless the size is small (as
Stealth Suits).

>, BS (I'm guessing BS3),

Almost certainly - that's characteristic of the army, including all
auxiliaries (Kroot and Gue'vesa, though the latter aren't apparently
making it into the book - which surprises me not at all).

> and that S2(8) AP3- might have nothing what
>so ever to do with what gets printed in 'Codex: Tau Empire'...

Oh, it probably won't. What interests me is that, unlike Kroot weapons,
these guns are clearly of Tau design, and so may not be limited to
Vespid units. We are supposedly getting more options for the Tau, after
all, and this is one race that should have access to a diverse range of
weapons - maybe one of the new Battlesuit components will be a bigger
gun based on this technology (though it would have to be good to
compete with plasma rifles).

Philip Bowles

In article <1127859600.787680.241040@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com wrote:

> In article <1127738367.017516.162...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> pbow...@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> I never expected it to be a template weapon once I realised every model
>>> in a Vespid unit would be armed with it, even in small fire teams - I
>>> had in mind a squad weapon that ignores cover and conceptually shoots
>>> out a jet of flame, but doesn't use flamer rules.
>>

>>This
>>http://www.retribution40k.net/GD2005/NEW/P1010066.jpg
>>makes AP2 or AP3 sound quite likely.
>
> Actually, the more I look at these models the less I like them, and the
> Tau should really have new vehicles capable of anti-Marine work rather
> than having to rely on suits and Vespids.

Hmmm... anti-marine...
A S2 AP3- weapon is actually less effective against marines than the
Tau standard S5 AP5 per hit (1/6 wounds x 1/1 failed saves =
1/6 killÃs verus 2/3 wounds x 1/3 failed saves = 2/9 kills). OTOH if
the 'count as S8 for instakill' part of the rumour is true the weapon
would be better against for example characters, Necrons, Death Company
and Chosen of Khorne (who gets 'feel no pain', right?). Of course
all this ignores things like number of shots (I'm guessing Assault
1), BS (I'm guessing BS3), and that S2(8) AP3- might have nothing what
so ever to do with what gets printed in 'Codex: Tau Empire'...

--
Joakim

>Seeing that the existing Rail Rifles have been fluffed (ahem) as a
>prototype weapon, what's the betting that we get them as a Special
>Weapon choice for Fire Warriors in the new codex?

I'd bet against it - fluffwise Fire Warriors are dedicated to a mobile
anti-infantry role. Rail rifles sit better thematically with
Pathfinders, advance scouts who get into position early on and then
remain in place; operating ahead of the army they will also need their
own supporting fire, which Fire Warriors don't. Plus, gamewise a rail
rifle simply isn't worth that much to a Fire Warrior team, who already
have range and high strength.

Philip Bowles

On the 28 Sep 2005, "pbowles@aol.com" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote:

<snip>

> We are supposedly getting more options for the Tau, after
> all, and this is one race that should have access to a diverse range of
> weapons - maybe one of the new Battlesuit components will be a bigger
> gun based on this technology (though it would have to be good to
> compete with plasma rifles).

Seeing that the existing Rail Rifles have been fluffed (ahem) as a
prototype weapon, what's the betting that we get them as a Special
Weapon choice for Fire Warriors in the new codex?

TBH, they make more sense in a Fire Warrior team. The squad is more
likely to remain stationary for maximum-range Pulse Rifle shots, thus
being able to use the Heavy 1 Rail Rifle, than a Pathfinder team with
its focus on mobility is going to do. When I bought my Pathfinders, I
bought three extra normal ones to take the place of the Rail Rifle guys
if I knew I was going to need to keep the squad moving.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!