[GDUK] I'm back from GDUK

The new venue was great. There is more room to move in the NEC, and it is
so much easier to get to being on the outside of Birmingham.

There were some decent pre-releases. The CC terminators and Black Templar
squads (no battleforce though), plus wood elf stuff for the whfb people. FW
had most of their newest stuff there too, the anphelion station bits, brass
eagles, the new revenant, etc.

There was some nice new stuff in the studio displays.

The two new as-yet-unseen Chaplains were there with the other new chaplain
minis. Both are nice, particularly the one with the powerfist. Up close,
all the new chaplain minis look so much better than the old ones.

I saw the new plastic scouts, and they are much better than in the boxart
picture from sneekpeaks. Definitely as good as the metal ones.

The vespid minis for the new tau empire codex where there, and they were not
bad. They are infantry sized, a bit bigger than a tau.

New stuff of interest in the forgeworld displays was Elysian Drop troopers
with shotguns, a new pattern of Hellhound, Epic Eldar Nightwings and the
work in progress Tau Manta.

I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad, 1 Black
Templar Assault squad, 1 set of FW brass eagles, 1 set of Tallarn Snipers, 2
Elysian drop trooper sentinels, 1 anphelion station xenos disection table
and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command from the Black
Library.

Rob

>New stuff of interest in the forgeworld displays was Elysian Drop troopers
>with shotguns, a new pattern of Hellhound, Epic Eldar Nightwings

Were the Nightwings just shruken versions of the current FW ones? If so
that's not too bad compared with the E40k ones, but neither design
looks very Eldar.

Philip Bowles

Robert Williams wrote:
> I saw the new plastic scouts, and they are much better than in the boxart
> picture from sneekpeaks. Definitely as good as the metal ones.

Are the heavy weapons on the sprue?

> The vespid minis for the new tau empire codex where there, and they
> were not bad. They are infantry sized, a bit bigger than a tau.

Saw Dan's pics. Very nice.

> a new pattern of Hellhound,

I want to see this! All-plastic, I assume, to do away with the somewhat
expensive metal turret plate, gun, and armour.

> I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad,
> 1 Black Templar Assault squad, 1 set of FW brass eagles, 1 set of
> Tallarn Snipers, 2 Elysian drop trooper sentinels, 1 anphelion
> station xenos disection table and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book
> and His Last Command from the Black Library.

Fanboy. ;)

I'm somewhat interested in replacing my Metal Termies with Plastic, but
I just can't see myself dropping $100 USD for 10 plastic guys. Same
issues with the Tallarn Snipers. Perhaps if I get far enough through my
backlog, I'll consider it as a reward.

\-|-/

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
> Robert Williams wrote:
>> I saw the new plastic scouts, and they are much better than in the boxart
>> picture from sneekpeaks. Definitely as good as the metal ones.
>
> Are the heavy weapons on the sprue?

Yes, just a Heavy Bolter though.

>> a new pattern of Hellhound,
>
> I want to see this!

I expect pic will be up tommorrow.

All-plastic, I assume, to do away with the somewhat
> expensive metal turret plate, gun, and armour.

Its FW, so the new bits are resin. It looked so much better than the
regular hellhound though. It has one big fuel tank in the center of the
back of the tank, and the flamer nozzle is off centre in the turret, and has
a long thin barrel.

>> I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad, 1
>> Black Templar Assault squad, 1 set of FW brass eagles, 1 set of
>> Tallarn Snipers, 2 Elysian drop trooper sentinels, 1 anphelion station
>> xenos disection table and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book
>> and His Last Command from the Black Library.
>
> Fanboy. ;)
>
> I'm somewhat interested in replacing my Metal Termies with Plastic, but I
> just can't see myself dropping $100 USD for 10 plastic guys.

I would, as they are so nice. You lot get badly overcharge on termintors
though, over here 10 terminators costs £40, which is about $71.

Rob

"Robert Williams" <mail@rscc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad, 1
> Black Templar Assault squad, 1 set of FW brass eagles, 1 set of Tallarn
> Snipers, 2 Elysian drop trooper sentinels, 1 anphelion station xenos
> disection table and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command
> from the Black Library.

One of the guys I went with picked up 3 FW Vultures (for his IG aircav army)
+ extra weapons, and 3 of each of the BT commander, command, and assault
squad boxes (total around £470!) - didn't see any CC terminator or BT
Crusader squads, I guess they must have sold out, as it was I wasn't
intending to buy much anyway, just grabbed a few FW dreadnought arms I
wanted (managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be
happy - only 4 days of single life left).

Dan

Robert Williams wrote:
> "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote ...

>>>I saw the new plastic scouts,

>>Are the heavy weapons on the sprue?
>
> Yes, just a Heavy Bolter though.

As usual, GW goofs things. Generic Scouts w/ BP&CCW, Bolter, or Shotgun
will get more value from the ML. It's the Sniper Scouts that want the HB.

>>>a new pattern of Hellhound,
>>
>>I want to see this!
>
> I expect pic will be up tommorrow.
>
>>All-plastic, I assume, to do away with the somewhat
>>expensive metal turret plate, gun, and armour.
>
> Its FW, so the new bits are resin.

Bah. Resin.

> It looked so much better than the regular hellhound though.
> It has one big fuel tank in the center of the back of the tank,
> and the flamer nozzle is off centre in the turret, and has
> a long thin barrel.

The gun is probably an improvement, tho I'm dubious about the new fuel tank.

>>I'm somewhat interested in replacing my Metal Termies with Plastic, but I
>>just can't see myself dropping $100 USD for 10 plastic guys.
>
> I would, as they are so nice. You lot get badly overcharge on termintors
> though, over here 10 terminators costs £40, which is about $71.

I guess I'll have to wait on them until prices rationalize.

\-|-/

In article <dh6kvn$43e$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>, Robert Williams,
mail@rscc.freeserve.co.uk Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> The new venue was great. There is more room to move in the NEC, and it is
> so much easier to get to being on the outside of Birmingham.

'Don't stand... Don't stand... Don't stand so close to me...'
(Ah - the joys of gamer funk.)

> There were some decent pre-releases. The CC terminators and Black Templar
> squads (no battleforce though), plus wood elf stuff for the whfb people. FW
> had most of their newest stuff there too, the anphelion station bits, brass
> eagles, the new revenant, etc.

How useful do the brass etched eagles look to be? It's one of the
few things I've found tempting of late.

> There was some nice new stuff in the studio displays.
>
> The two new as-yet-unseen Chaplains were there with the other new chaplain
> minis. Both are nice, particularly the one with the powerfist. Up close,
> all the new chaplain minis look so much better than the old ones.\

Where's the beef (or in this case pictures)? Ah-hem. You did
get pics didn't you?

> I saw the new plastic scouts, and they are much better than in the boxart
> picture from sneekpeaks. Definitely as good as the metal ones.

Are they multipart in the style of the standard tac marine squads
(i.e. legs, torso, arms, heads, etc) so that they offer conversion use
as well? Also, what all weapons options (if any) did they come with?

> The vespid minis for the new tau empire codex where there, and they were not
> bad. They are infantry sized, a bit bigger than a tau.

Spack got pictures - you see - Spack *loves* us.

> New stuff of interest in the forgeworld displays was Elysian Drop troopers
> with shotguns, a new pattern of Hellhound, Epic Eldar Nightwings and the
> work in progress Tau Manta.

'Pictures Manta & T-Hawk special attack... Hold at a height of 18
inches over the intended target and drop model. Any model damaged by
the attack must make an immediate save, any model crushed is removed
without a save, invulnerable or otherwise.' Those things are more like
table terrain than anything else. Sure, they've got rules, but how the
'ell would you even start to move them around the table during attack
runs, etc. The flight stands would have to be obnoxiously large.

> I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad, 1 Black
> Templar Assault squad,

Not a surprise as I've thought of grabbing some of the new termies
myself, but with 20 of the old plastic space hulk version, I don't have
a lot of need, I just need to snag a few more of the metal assault
cannon variety.

> 1 set of FW brass eagles,

Again, I'd love any feed back on these. They look interesting.

> 1 set of Tallarn Snipers, 2

They're nice - I'm just not doing any of the desert raiders for my
IG army.

> Elysian drop trooper sentinels,

Now those are damn cool. I like the totally enclosed steal legion
/ city fight style sentinels the best, but these are definitely a close
2nd.

> 1 anphelion station xenos disection table

Now there's a surprise. ;)

> and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command from the Black
> Library.

What exactly are the contents of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade? Is it
similar to say Codex Eye of Terror?

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

>> I purchased 2 CC Terminator squads, 1 Black Templar Crusader squad, 1
>> Black Templar Assault squad, 1 set of FW brass eagles, 1 set of Tallarn
>> Snipers, 2 Elysian drop trooper sentinels, 1 anphelion station xenos
>> disection table and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command
>> from the Black Library.
>

>One of the guys I went with picked up 3 FW Vultures (for his IG aircav army)
>+ extra weapons, and 3 of each of the BT commander, command, and assault
>squad boxes (total around £470!)

So, you *were* with Rob, after all...

I can't really credit Rob going with Tallarn snipers, though - that
implies a level of taste he's never exhibited before.

Philip Bowles

didn't see any CC terminator or BT
> Crusader squads, I guess they must have sold out,

The CC terminator squads went fast. The kept bringing new boxes of stock
out to the retail stand and it kept going quickly.

as it was I wasn't
> intending to buy much anyway, just grabbed a few FW dreadnought arms I
> wanted (managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be
> happy - only 4 days of single life left).

My sincerest commisserations ;)

Rob

> How useful do the brass etched eagles look to be? It's one of the
> few things I've found tempting of late.

Very useful, the small and xtra small ones are appropriately sized to fit on
marine and guard shoulderpads respectivly (and chestplates), and the bigger
ones are good for vehicles, banners and buldings.

There are 4 different sizes, large, medium small and extra small. Some are
seperate eagels, and some are on plates (some being embossed and some
indented).

>> I saw the new plastic scouts, and they are much better than in the boxart
>> picture from sneekpeaks. Definitely as good as the metal ones.
>
> Are they multipart in the style of the standard tac marine squads
> (i.e. legs, torso, arms, heads, etc) so that they offer conversion use
> as well?

Yes.

Also, what all weapons options (if any) did they come with?

Bolt Pistol and CCW, Bolters, Shotguns and one Heavy Bolter.

>> 1 set of Tallarn Snipers, 2
>
> They're nice - I'm just not doing any of the desert raiders for my
> IG army.

I wasn't going to get them, but just had to when I saw the models up close.
I will use them as veteran guard for an Inquisitors retinue.

>> 1 anphelion station xenos disection table
>
> Now there's a surprise. ;)

Its good. I'm going to use some of the armatures as alternate ones for a
tech priest model.

>> and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command from the Black
>> Library.
>
> What exactly are the contents of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade? Is it
> similar to say Codex Eye of Terror?

No, its a background book detailing the first 20 years of the Sabbat Worlds
crusade. Its purely fluff.

Rob

pbowles@aol.com wrote on 26 Sep 2005 03:41:49 -0700:

> So, you *were* with Rob, after all...

I can safely say I have no idea what Rob looks like, probably a good thing
:p

Dan

Spack wrote:
> (managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be
> happy - only 4 days of single life left).

Cheers!

Now are we to believe she hasn't seen your vast collection?

\-|-/

John wrote on Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:22:21 GMT:

> Spack wrote:
>> (managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be happy -
>> only 4 days of single life left).
>
> Cheers!
>
> Now are we to believe she hasn't seen your vast collection?

With 2 large bookcases in my gaming room filled with 40K stuff it's a bit
hard to miss. She's actually encouraging me to get it all painted (I'll just
have to remember to hide one figure somewhere she can never spot it), and
even suggested having a table in the room to display stuff on. She even
popped to her mum's with the lad (10 months old now and he's started
reaching for the tanks) over the weekend so my mates could have a game of
40k on Saturday night without risking waking him up. Tell me things don't
change once the wedding's over, right?

Dan

Robert Williams <mail@rscc.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> >> 1 set of Tallarn Snipers, 2
> >
> > They're nice - I'm just not doing any of the desert raiders for my
> > IG army.

> I wasn't going to get them, but just had to when I saw the models up close.
> I will use them as veteran guard for an Inquisitors retinue.

I can see doing this, from looking at the ForgeWorld website, those are some
really nice figures! I just wish their stuff wasn't so expensive.

Zane

"Spack" wrote...
> "Robert Williams" wrote in message

> One of the guys I went with picked up 3 FW Vultures (for his IG aircav
> army) + extra weapons, and 3 of each of the BT commander, command, and
> assault squad boxes (total around £470!)

Damn! That guy is either hog stinkin' rich or digging a hole with a plastic
shovel. :) In any case, he isn't helping my delusions any. I still have
this notion that I'll put together a decent, tournament legal 40K army
without spending way too much cash on it... Yeah.

> (managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be happy -
> only 4 days of single life left).

Congrats, mate!
--
- Ward
wardcb at earthlink dot net

"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer." - anon.

"Ward B." <wardcb@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
> "Spack" wrote...
>> "Robert Williams" wrote in message
>
>> One of the guys I went with picked up 3 FW Vultures (for his IG aircav
>> army) + extra weapons, and 3 of each of the BT commander, command, and
>> assault squad boxes (total around £470!)
>
> Damn! That guy is either hog stinkin' rich or digging a hole with a
> plastic shovel. :) In any case, he isn't helping my delusions any. I
> still have this notion that I'll put together a decent, tournament legal
> 40K army without spending way too much cash on it... Yeah.

He turned up Sat night for a game with 2 LR Crusaders, a Prometheus, and 2
Valkyries, along with the rest of his DH army. The Vultures will be used for
the Heavy Support slots in an IG army using the Valkyries as transports for
Grenadier squads, he hasn't let on what else he's adding to it.

He's runs his own business, which I guess helps moneywise :p

Dan

Spack wrote:
> John wrote on Mon, 26 Sep 2005 15:22:21 GMT:

>>>(managed to spend less than £20, which will keep the wife-to-be happy -
>>>only 4 days of single life left).
>>
>>Cheers!
>>
>>Now are we to believe she hasn't seen your vast collection?
>
> With 2 large bookcases in my gaming room filled with 40K stuff it's
> a bit hard to miss.

I'm a bit better about boxing stuff, but definitely not hideable.

> She's actually encouraging me to get it all painted

Typical.

> (I'll just have to remember to hide one figure somewhere
> she can never spot it),

Your grasp for immortality?

> and even suggested having a table in the room to display
> stuff on. She even popped to her mum's with the lad (10 months
> old now and he's started reaching for the tanks) over the
> weekend so my mates could have a game of 40k on Saturday
> night without risking waking him up.

She's a keeper. :)

> Tell me things don't
> change once the wedding's over, right?

Well, Danny, as they say in the commercials: "your milage may vary".

Usually, what this means is that you won't be able to buy anything
(much) until you make a rather sizable dent in your existing stock of
stuff.

In my case, this is no big deal, as I have a few years worth of stuff to
paint and I'm reasonably "complete" from a buying perspective.

\-|-/

Robert Williams wrote:

> >> and the Sabbat Worlds Crusade book and His Last Command from the Black
> >> Library.
> >
> > What exactly are the contents of the Sabbat Worlds Crusade? Is it
> > similar to say Codex Eye of Terror?
>
> No, its a background book detailing the first 20 years of the Sabbat Worlds
> crusade. Its purely fluff.

Any Tanith/Hyrkan/Gaunt stuff??

John wrote on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:38:49 GMT:

> Spack wrote:

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Now are we to believe she hasn't seen your vast collection?
>>
>> With 2 large bookcases in my gaming room filled with 40K stuff it's a bit
>> hard to miss.
>
> I'm a bit better about boxing stuff, but definitely not hideable.

All my boxes of stuff are in one of the bookcases. It's like a GW shop ...

>> She's actually encouraging me to get it all painted
>
> Typical.

:)

As it is, she's got a blister of daemonettes to start on herself.

>> (I'll just have to remember to hide one figure somewhere
>> she can never spot it),
>
> Your grasp for immortality?

Indeed.

>> and even suggested having a table in the room to display stuff on. She
>> even popped to her mum's with the lad (10 months old now and he's started
>> reaching for the tanks) over the
>> weekend so my mates could have a game of 40k on Saturday
>> night without risking waking him up.
>
> She's a keeper. :)

So my friends keep telling me. And no, she doesn't have a sister :p

I did however corrupt her youngest brother, he's now a regular in our gaming
group with a completely painted Necron army.

>> Tell me things don't change once the wedding's over, right?
>
> Well, Danny, as they say in the commercials: "your milage may vary".
>
> Usually, what this means is that you won't be able to buy anything (much)
> until you make a rather sizable dent in your existing stock of stuff.
>
> In my case, this is no big deal, as I have a few years worth of stuff to
> paint and I'm reasonably "complete" from a buying perspective.

I haven't spotted much left I want to get. CC terminators, and the Grimaldus
servitors, but that's about it. Oh, and 1 of everything FW does, but that
isn't going to happen anytime soon :p

Dan

BlackHeart

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:53:18 GMT, John Hwang
<JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote:

>I guess I'll have to wait on them until prices rationalize.

Good thing you have a huge backlog of stuff to keep you occupied...

Spack wrote:
> John wrote

>>>With 2 large bookcases in my gaming room filled with 40K stuff it's
>>>a bit hard to miss.
>>
>>I'm a bit better about boxing stuff, but definitely not hideable.
>
> All my boxes of stuff are in one of the bookcases. It's like a GW shop ...

:)

>>>She's actually encouraging me to get it all painted
>>
>>Typical.
>
> :)
>
> As it is, she's got a blister of daemonettes to start on herself.

I wonder how this will turn out. Mine isn't interested at all.

>>>(I'll just have to remember to hide one figure somewhere
>>>she can never spot it),
>>
>>Your grasp for immortality?
>
> Indeed.

You know, you can always buy more if you ever get close to clearing your
backlog... Of course, that means you need to actually attack the
backlog! :)

>>>and even suggested having a table in the room to display stuff on. She
>>>even popped to her mum's with the lad (10 months old now and he's started
>>>reaching for the tanks) over the
>>>weekend so my mates could have a game of 40k on Saturday
>>>night without risking waking him up.
>>
>>She's a keeper. :)
>
> So my friends keep telling me. And no, she doesn't have a sister :p

That's OK. Mine won't allow me a concubine or mistress, so a 2nd wife
is clearly out. :(

> I did however corrupt her youngest brother, he's now a regular in our
> gaming group with a completely painted Necron army.

Ha!

>>>Tell me things don't change once the wedding's over, right?
>>
>>Well, Danny, as they say in the commercials: "your milage may vary".
>>
>>Usually, what this means is that you won't be able to buy anything (much)
>>until you make a rather sizable dent in your existing stock of stuff.
>>
>>In my case, this is no big deal, as I have a few years worth of stuff to
>>paint and I'm reasonably "complete" from a buying perspective.
>
> I haven't spotted much left I want to get.

I have some minor interest in replacing my painted, metal Termies with
plastics, simply to have them match, but that is well down in priority
compared with others.

Similarly, I'm interested in Vespids (if plastic) for WFB conversions.

> CC terminators, and the Grimaldus servitors, but that's about it.

All Hammer & Shield, eh?

> Oh, and 1 of everything FW does, but that
> isn't going to happen anytime soon :p

So Robbie's been growing on you, eh? I think I'd only be interested in
the revised FW Eldar Scorpion, and the IG Bombard for Bitz.

\-|-/