USB host controllers

I have an Intel 865 board and XP running. The board has 4 USB (Highspeed USB
enabled in BIOS) controllers and hubs. If I want to connect USB2.0 capable
devices, do I have to update all 4 controllers drivers, or just one? Thanks

When USB first came out some used to say it was high speed (as compared to
what, a floppy drive?). But if the M/B specs do not say specifically that
the board is USB 2.0 capable, you will have to purchase a plug in board that
has the capabilities. It is all hardware based. If you don't have the
hardware you can't use USB 2.0

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I have an Intel 865 board and XP running. The board has 4 USB (Highspeed
>USB enabled in BIOS) controllers and hubs. If I want to connect USB2.0
>capable devices, do I have to update all 4 controllers drivers, or just
>one? Thanks

All you should have to do is run the driver package that contains the USB
2.0 ENHC enhanced driver. This is usually on a separate folder on the
driver install CD for most motherboards. Once is enough.
You may have to reboot.

Andre De Clercq wrote:
> ...the corresponding host
> controller reports as "usb2 enhanced host controller" in the device manager
> window. The other 3 just show "usb universal host controller". Is this
> because there is no USB2.0 device connected or because these controllers rum
> under standard USB drivers and need a USB2 driver too?

I believe what you are describing is typical - certainly true for my
machine. I also have one EHCI plus three UHCI entries.

>From a bit of minor experimentation, I concluded that there is no
direct correlation between any port and a particular controller entry.
For example, I can plug two USB2 devices and then view them under the
same Device Manager entry. If I then move one of the devices to another
port, it will still show up under the same Device Manager entry as
previously. I assume that somehow the ports are dynamically associated
with an appropriate controller, depending on the type of devices
connected. Still, I can't help but wonder what this configuration of
one EHCI plus three UHCI actually represents.

R. McCarty wrote:
> If you look at Universal Serial Bus Controllers category, you'll
> likely see 1 enhanced controller and 3-4 Universal (Non-enhanced)
> Controllers. The way USB 2.0/1.0-1.1 works is the Enhanced
> controller handles all USB2.0 devices. The other 3-4 are the
> lower speed ports. When you plug in a USB 2.0 device the device
> itself identifies whether it is USB 2.0 or Full Speed. This is how
> Windows triggers the warnings about Device Speed connections.
> Most recent motherboard USB design allows for all ports to run
> at either USB2.0 (High Speed) or USB1/1.0 (Full Speed).

Ah, you were posting while I was typing. This confirms my observation
that there is no correlation between a port and a controller.

R. McCarty wrote:
> Each "Physical" Port ( Socket ) works through a transceiver that
> has interconnections between the Enhanced Controller and the
> standard controllers. So all USB 2 devices will show up in the
> "Advanced" (TAB) of the Enhanced Controller. Any USB1/1.1
> Devices will appear in the Host Controller properties.
>
> So you can't really map USB2.0 devices to a physical port, they
> all route to the same Host Controller.
>
> But you can do that by using USB1 (Full Speed) devices since
> they'll appear on their respective Host Controllers Advanced
> details box.
>
> My Intel 865 motherboard has 8 Ports and in Device Manager
> I've got 1 Enhanced and 4 Low speed Controllers.
>
> A little bit confusing, isn't it

Somewhat, but manageable. The USB2/EHCI part is simple enough. What
complicates things a bit is that there are multiple "logical" ports
associated with each controller. As you point out, you have 8 physical
ports but only 4+1 controllers. I think, though I haven't actually
counted, that the total number of ports showing under all controllers
exceeds the number of physical ports I have, so what's the
relationship?

This subject is related to my feeble attempt to distribute the activity
of my USB devices across ports (as shown in Device Manager). I have a
USB2 TV tuner, whose power requirements exceed the single port "limit"
of 500ma (it is in fact supplied with a second USB connection just to
obtain the additional power, though I don't need to use it on my
laptop), plus a USB2 DVD drive, plus a USB2 HDD and occasionally a
second HDD. All these together surely exceed the 500ma that a USB2 port
is expected to supply, and yet it works, without even using the second
connection on my tuner. SO I can't help but wonder what the 500ma
figure actually Apart from the power issues, I was thinking that it
would be a good idea for more ports to get a piece of the action simply
for reasons of reduced contention. I have no idea how to manage this.

R. McCarty wrote:
> OK - Here is how to view Device to Hub to Controller connects.
>
> Open Device Manager, Click View - Toggle setting to "View
> Devices by Connection". Then expand the tree as follows:
> -ACPI 'YourType' PC
> -Microsoft ACPI Compliant System
> -PCI Bus
> Expand each USB Controller to see it's HUB and connected USB
> Devices.

Thanks, I'll have a look (I'm not at home now), but I don't suppose it
will enable me to change anything. Never mind, since everything is
working properly, this is all academic.

> R. McCarty wrote:
>> Each "Physical" Port ( Socket ) works through a transceiver that
>> has interconnections between the Enhanced Controller and the
>> standard controllers. So all USB 2 devices will show up in the
>> "Advanced" (TAB) of the Enhanced Controller. Any USB1/1.1
>> Devices will appear in the Host Controller properties.
>>
>> So you can't really map USB2.0 devices to a physical port, they
>> all route to the same Host Controller.
>>
>> But you can do that by using USB1 (Full Speed) devices since
>> they'll appear on their respective Host Controllers Advanced
>> details box.
>>
>> My Intel 865 motherboard has 8 Ports and in Device Manager
>> I've got 1 Enhanced and 4 Low speed Controllers.
>>
>> A little bit confusing, isn't it
>
> Somewhat, but manageable. The USB2/EHCI part is simple enough. What
> complicates things a bit is that there are multiple "logical" ports
> associated with each controller. As you point out, you have 8 physical
> ports but only 4+1 controllers. I think, though I haven't actually
> counted, that the total number of ports showing under all controllers
> exceeds the number of physical ports I have, so what's the
> relationship?
>
> This subject is related to my feeble attempt to distribute the activity
> of my USB devices across ports (as shown in Device Manager). I have a
> USB2 TV tuner, whose power requirements exceed the single port "limit"
> of 500ma (it is in fact supplied with a second USB connection just to
> obtain the additional power, though I don't need to use it on my
> laptop), plus a USB2 DVD drive, plus a USB2 HDD and occasionally a
> second HDD. All these together surely exceed the 500ma that a USB2 port
> is expected to supply, and yet it works, without even using the second
> connection on my tuner. SO I can't help but wonder what the 500ma
> figure actually Apart from the power issues, I was thinking that it
> would be a good idea for more ports to get a piece of the action simply
> for reasons of reduced contention. I have no idea how to manage this.

Thanks Richard. My board specs say USB 2.0 and one of my devices (video
input convertor) runs perfectly under USB2.0, and the corresponding host

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When USB first came out some used to say it was high speed (as compared to
> what, a floppy drive?). But if the M/B specs do not say specifically that
> the board is USB 2.0 capable, you will have to purchase a plug in board
> that has the capabilities. It is all hardware based. If you don't have the
> hardware you can't use USB 2.0
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>I have an Intel 865 board and XP running. The board has 4 USB (Highspeed
>>USB enabled in BIOS) controllers and hubs. If I want to connect USB2.0
>>capable devices, do I have to update all 4 controllers drivers, or just
>>one? Thanks

lem

As I understand it, if Device Manager doesn't report "usb2 enhanced host
controller" you don't have USB2. More than likely, your system has some USB2
ports and some USB1.x ports. My 2-year-old Gateway has 6 USB ports, but only 4
of them are USB2. Look more closely at your mobo spec sheet.

> R. McCarty wrote:
>> OK - Here is how to view Device to Hub to Controller connects.
>>
>> Open Device Manager, Click View - Toggle setting to "View
>> Devices by Connection". Then expand the tree as follows:
>> -ACPI 'YourType' PC
>> -Microsoft ACPI Compliant System
>> -PCI Bus
>> Expand each USB Controller to see it's HUB and connected USB
>> Devices.
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look (I'm not at home now), but I don't suppose it
> will enable me to change anything. Never mind, since everything is
> working properly, this is all academic.

Thanks all. This thread was very informative to me !

TRENDING THREADS