Sign in with
Your question

Wondering Where to Go From Here

Last response: in Components
October 3, 2005 1:32:10 AM

Well, I have a vast music collection sitting on my computer, which I play all my music from. Rarely will I watch movies, and I do play games alot, but I don't particularly care about the sound there.

Right now I'm using the onboard audio from my motherboard (Everest tells me its a DFI 661FX-MLV(E)) and the audio drivers are Realtk AC'97. And unfortunately I'm running it all on some 8 dollar speakers, and the awful quality is really starting to get to me. I've got a maximum of $200 to spend, although I would prefer to spend as little as possible (wouldn't we all). What I would really like to know is the best path to increasing sound quality with this budget, and I'm really lost as to whether this means new speakers, and how many channels, or a better soundcard, a combination of both. I honstely don't have a clue.

To sum it all up: Currently have AC'97 onboard audio and 8 dollar speakers. Maximum $200 budget, what's the best improvement for me? (2.1? 5.1? Soundcard overhaul? Anything at all)

Thanks in advance for any help.

More about : wondering

October 3, 2005 4:09:48 AM

New speakers, and new speakers alone. You aren't going to see any practical sound quality increase between onboard mobo audio and a separate sound card without getting a decent set of speakers. While a 5.1 or 4.1 system won't make much difference compared to a 2.1 with music, since you do game a lot, you might enjoy the surround effects they provide there. However, if you want the best possible music and can live without surround effects, then take the money and go with a high-quality 2.1 set. Klipsch speakers are probably your best bet.
October 4, 2005 10:34:27 PM

Okay, thanks alot for the advice. I was looking at some klipsch 2.1 sets, as well as a couple 5.1 systems, possibly the Logitech X-530. I have a concern though. Is it true that because I don't have a 5.1 sound card, I wouldn't even get sound from some of the speakers? I've heard vague things to that effect, and if thats true, well than 5.1 would just be wasting my money. Would a little 5.1 USB adapter work? I don't really have a free PCI slot, but I may be willing to do that if the quality was decent.
Related resources
October 5, 2005 3:13:27 AM

What's your motherboard? I've for a DFI board with the AC97 codec, and it provides me with up to 8-channel audio. Really depends on the connections that you have.
October 5, 2005 6:10:53 PM

I don't have any official documentation on it, but I ran EVEREST and it told me the board is a 661FX-MLVE, as I said above. The DFI site offers the following

Audio
AC'97 2.2 extension compliant codec
Supports Microsoft® DirectSound/DirectSound 3D
AC’97 supported with full duplex, independent sample rate connverter for audio recording and playback
S/PDIF-in/out interface
6-channel audio output

(From here in case I missed something http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r... )
But to my knowledge, I just have three stereo mini-jack plugs in the back. One's labeled mic, and my speakers plug into the other. I've never bothered to see what the third does.

I'm realizing now that I could get a soundcard too and still remain in my budget, but for what people are calling minimal sound improvement, it seems a bit excessive. But if I need it for correct connections, well then there's really no way around that.
October 5, 2005 10:11:07 PM

The 6-channel Audio output is what you want. That it'll do it turn the mic-input to an output source instead, with 2 channels on each of the 3 lines (for a full implementation, you'd get away with 6.1 sound.) Left and right main will come out of one line, left and right surround will come out a second, and your front and back centers will coem from a third.

And yes, you're right, you will only notice a minimal gain in quality improvement if you don't have good, quality speakers to back it up with. Lastly, check what the input options are for the speakers that you get. If they have a S/PDIF input, then you'll only need the one line to drive the whole system.
October 9, 2005 10:38:43 AM

Q: "Is it true that because I don't have a 5.1 sound card, I wouldn't even get sound from some of the speakers?"

A: It's also true, even if you do have a 5.1 sound card, 99.99% of the time you will not be playing 5.1 material (aka DVDs) unless you happen to be rich and can drop $25-30 for movies when the rest of us download movies with stereo audio : P

Of course if you are a hardcore gamer, the 5.1 will come very handy. If you listen to mp3s mostly, then I think you will find a cheap 5.1 set unsatisfactory. A quality 5.1 set comes at a hefty price, whereas a quality 2.0 set can be had for much cheaper, and can always be expanded to 5.0/5.1 later on.
October 11, 2005 12:51:43 AM

Ah, thanks for all the advice then. I got a chance to play around firsthand with my friend's Klipsch Promedia 2.1, so I decided to pick up those. I love the sound, and not being an audiophile, it's hard for me to imagine how my music (which is obviously not in 5.1) could really sound better.

I love how I can count on good advice here, thanks again.
!