Custom Build...can't install OS, WTF

pollux114

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
So here's the deal, I built a custom PC, got everything put together, powered up and tried to install Win7.

- First it took forever to get through the second phase of "Windows is loading files",
- then it took forever to get past the "starting Windows" screen (black screen with the pulsating windows logo)
- Then it goes to the blue(leaf graphic) screen and it takes forever for the window to pop up to choose your location.

(I'm about an hour in at this point)

- I can load RAID drivers no problem (but I can't load the x64 version, even though it's x64 windows) and it recognizes the RAID 0 array and begins installation.

- There's a list of items, "Copying files", "expanding Files", etc. The "copying files" takes like a second then gets a green checkmark and moves onto "expanding files"........here's where I hit a wall.

- It was expanding files for about 3 hours before I finally went to bed, at that point it was at 2%. When I got up this morning there was an error message saying it couldn't install windows because the installation files weren't available.

Here are the specs of the system:

- AMD PhenomII X6 1090T Black Edition
- GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 RT Motherboard
- Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 (PC3 10666)
- AMD Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB PCIE x16
- 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black SATAIII WD6402AAEX (2 of them set up in RAID 0)
- An older 160GB SATA WD hard drive that I was going to use for a download drive (if this might be the problem I can lose it)
- 450W PSU
- IDE DVDRW w/lightscribe and DVD-ROM drive

Bios settings are all default except for enabling RAID mode.

I figured it might be my Win7 disk, so I tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of XP.........no dice. On those it would complete the first stage of the install, reboot and act like it had never done anything...it would just go right into the install process again.

I've tried the RAM in different slots, tried each of the 4GB sticks by themselves, tried disconnecting the older HDD........nothing changed.

Any suggestions?

G

I think I would test with a simpler hard drive setup -- maybe just one drive so you can begin to narrow down the issues.

pollux114

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Tried that.

Well, WinXP needs to install RAID drivers from a floppy which I don't have, so I just tried to install XP on the single SATAII 160GB, but I had exactly the same result.

I had a similiar thing happen years ago where it took forever to install the OS, but it turns out the RAM wasn't compatible with the board........that shouldn't be the problem here, the XP install actually went very quickly it just didn't seem to "stick".