Synchronizing Clock

August 1, 2005 11:44:39 AM

This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
Properties of the clock on the task bar.

I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on which
I try.

I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set up.
All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE and
Firefox.

Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel sure
that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to do
with the problem. :)

Thank you.

More about : synchronizing clock

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:44:40 AM

While this may not help you, I've experienced the same problem in the past.
It turned out to be the server that was down. Have you tried the other time
server options in the dropdown box? I tried them at 7:57 am EDT and got
errors on both of them.

"Jack Gillis" wrote:

> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>
> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows was
> synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on which
> I try.
>
> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set up.
> All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE and
> Firefox.
>
> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel sure
> that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to do
> with the problem. :)
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:30:46 PM

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While this may not help you, I've experienced the same problem in the
> past.
> It turned out to be the server that was down. Have you tried the
> other time
> server options in the dropdown box? I tried them at 7:57 am EDT and
> got
> errors on both of them.

Thank you.

Yes, same error on both of them.

> "Jack Gillis" wrote:
>
>> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
>> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
>> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>>
>> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows
>> was
>> synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on
>> which
>> I try.
>>
>> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
>> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set
>> up.
>> All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE
>> and
>> Firefox.
>>
>> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel
>> sure
>> that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to
>> do
>> with the problem. :)
>>
>> Thank you.

August 1, 2005 1:39:49 PM

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While this may not help you, I've experienced the same problem in the
> past.
> It turned out to be the server that was down. Have you tried the
> other time
> server options in the dropdown box? I tried them at 7:57 am EDT and
> got
> errors on both of them.

Thank you.

It is now 9:39 EDT and am still getting the errors. They must be
having a bad hair day!

> "Jack Gillis" wrote:
>
>> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
>> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
>> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>>
>> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows
>> was
>> synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on
>> which
>> I try.
>>
>> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
>> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set
>> up.
>> All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE
>> and
>> Firefox.
>>
>> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel
>> sure
>> that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to
>> do
>> with the problem. :)
>>
>> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:54:56 PM

Hi

Have a look in the Event Viewer and expand the System icon. Are there any
'Errors' or 'Warnings' regarding W32Time?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time Properties
> of the clock on the task bar.
>
> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows was
> synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on which I
> try.
>
> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set up. All
> other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE and
> Firefox.
>
> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel sure
> that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to do
> with the problem. :)
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:54:57 PM

> Hi
>
> Have a look in the Event Viewer and expand the System icon. Are there
> any 'Errors' or 'Warnings' regarding W32Time?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Thank you. Yes, there are two W32Time errors which occurred back on
7/23. That may well have been when I last tried to synchronize or
perhaps the system tried to automatically synchronize. I have been away
since then and the machine has not been used.

> "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
>> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
>> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>>
>> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows
>> was synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on
>> which I try.
>>
>> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
>> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set
>> up. All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6,
>> IE and Firefox.
>>
>> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel
>> sure that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has
>> nothing to do with the problem. :)
>>
>> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:22:43 PM

>> Hi
>>
>> Have a look in the Event Viewer and expand the System icon. Are there
>> any 'Errors' or 'Warnings' regarding W32Time?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> Thank you. Yes, there are two W32Time errors which occurred back on 7/23.
> That may well have been when I last tried to synchronize or perhaps the
> system tried to automatically synchronize. I have been away since then
> and the machine has not been used.

Hi

Try the following from a command prompt:

1. net stop w32time
2. w32tm.exe /unregister
3. w32tm.exe /register
4. net start w32time

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:22:44 PM

> "Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Have a look in the Event Viewer and expand the System icon. Are
>>> there any 'Errors' or 'Warnings' regarding W32Time?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Will Denny
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> Thank you. Yes, there are two W32Time errors which occurred back on
>> 7/23. That may well have been when I last tried to synchronize or
>> perhaps the system tried to automatically synchronize. I have been
>> away since then and the machine has not been used.
>
> Hi
>
> Try the following from a command prompt:
>
> 1. net stop w32time
> 2. w32tm.exe /unregister
> 3. w32tm.exe /register
> 4. net start w32time
>

> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Tried it again and still got the error message. Have also rebooted a
couple of times but with no success.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:56:12 PM

Problem Solved!

I connected to the net through a dial up connection rather than my
normal DSL and it worked fine. That reminded me that I had my router
firewall settings at the highest so I notched them down one level and,
bingo, the time updated just fine.

Shields Up still reports a completely stealthed system.

Thanks to all who replied for you efforts. They set me thinking along
the right lines.

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message
> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>
> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows
> was synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on
> which I try.
>
> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set up.
> All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE
> and Firefox.
>
> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel
> sure that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing
> to do with the problem. :)
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:03:05 PM

1.Start->Run cmd.exe
2. net stop w32time
3. w32tm.exe /unregister
4. w32tm.exe /register
5. net start w32time

or, you may try a dfferent server:-
http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Jack Gillis wrote:

> This morning for the first time ever, I am unable to synchronize my
> computer clock using the Internet Time tab on the Date and Time
> Properties of the clock on the task bar.
>
> I get an error message saying either an error occurred while Windows was
> synchronizing with time.nist.com or time.windows.com depending on which
> I try.
>
> I am connected to the internet via DSL through a router and, to my
> recollection, this problem has never occurred before with this set up.
> All other internet functions appear to work correctly under OE6, IE and
> Firefox.
>
> Can someone help me get to the bottom of what is going on? I feel sure
> that the new energy legislation which will extend DST has nothing to do
> with the problem. :)
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:03:06 PM

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> 1.Start->Run cmd.exe
> 2. net stop w32time
> 3. w32tm.exe /unregister
> 4. w32tm.exe /register
> 5. net start w32time
>
> or, you may try a dfferent server:-
> http://tf.nist.gov/service/time-servers.html
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP

Thank you. I ran the commands you suggested with the same result. They
didn't fix the problem. I also tried the links on the site you gave,
again with the same result.

Go figure!

!