Sign in with
Your question

Step by step starting fresh

Last response: in Windows 7
October 8, 2012 7:18:28 AM

Alright, so I just bought the components to my new system including a new Windows 7 Home Edition. My system components should be arriving tomorrow but the OS might arrive a few days later. Is there any way to test functionalit of all of the components without an OS installed just using the BIOS or anything else?

I really want to do the initial installation of the software correctly.

Can someone provide the specific instructions of what I should do once I have everything hooked up and plugged in and I start the computer for the first time. What should I see or hear and how do I get the initial installation started properly? Also, any programs that I should immediatly install or update once my OS is up and running. The first few things I plan to do is get something like Microsoft Security Essentials installed and Malwarebytes. Other recomendations?
a c 354 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 3:06:34 PM

If you can get the PC to turn on and navigate though the BIOS, it should be working fine.

You can install Linux on it if you want to play around with more advanced video and sound.

To start the setup, just boot off the Windows disk, and click Next a bunch of times. Not hard to get it running. You will need to select where you want it installed and probably create a new disk partition if you have a brand new hard-drive.

Install all the drivers for your components first, Windows update will run for a bit right after you connect it to the network also.
m
l
!