Starting Windows XP from command line

Hi:

Can Windws XP be starting by giving a command on the
command line of a "DOS Window" , either from the
C: drive or a floppy drive where you booted with an
emergency backup disk ? If so, what are the details ?

Thank you

DaleB
12 answers Last reply
More about starting windows command line

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "DaleB" wrote:

    | Hi:
    |
    | Can Windws XP be starting by giving a command on the
    | command line of a "DOS Window" , either from the
    | C: drive or a floppy drive where you booted with an
    | emergency backup disk ? If so, what are the details ?
    |
    | Thank you
    |
    | DaleB

    This does not answer my question:

    If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS mode,
    what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g., ???.exe)
    that must be run to start Windows ?

    Thanx !

    DaleB wrote:

    > This does not answer my question:
    >
    > If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS mode,
    > what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    > of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g., ???.exe)
    > that must be run to start Windows ?
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    >> "DaleB" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi:
    >> |
    >> | Can Windws XP be starting by giving a command on the
    >> | command line of a "DOS Window" , either from the
    >> | C: drive or a floppy drive where you booted with an
    >> | emergency backup disk ? If so, what are the details ?

    If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if you can
    start XP from the commandline the way you could start Win 3.1 or 9x
    from DOS by typing "windows". The answer is no.

    If you are talking about the 6 XP boot floppy disks that are used to
    install XP if your computer can't boot from the cd drive (since all XP
    installation cd's are bootable), then here is the information about
    that:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi:

    You say the answer is no for XP. OK.
    Now, how abouit for Windows 98 or 95 ?
    Is the correct command 'windows' or something else ?

    Thanx !

    DaleB wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > You say the answer is no for XP. OK.
    > Now, how abouit for Windows 98 or 95 ?
    > Is the correct command 'windows' or something else ?

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=start+Windows+98+from+DOS&btnG=Google+Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=start+Windows+95+from+DOS&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=start+Windows+3.1+from+DOS&btnG=Search

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    There is no command to start Windows XP from DOS because
    Windows XP is not based on DOS. If you cannot start Windows XP,
    you need to install the Recovery Console or perform a "Repair Install"
    as I mentioned before.

    Using Recovery Console
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjid.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "DaleB" wrote:

    | This does not answer my question:
    |
    | If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS mode,
    | what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    | of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g., ???.exe)
    | that must be run to start Windows ?
    |
    | Thanx !

    win /w

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5EA64144-41AC-49EC-8543-DD12E78686E5@microsoft.com,
    DaleB <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi:
    >
    > You say the answer is no for XP. OK.
    > Now, how abouit for Windows 98 or 95 ?
    > Is the correct command 'windows' or something else ?
    >
    > Thanx !
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> DaleB wrote:
    >>
    >>> This does not answer my question:
    >>>
    >>> If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS mode,
    >>> what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    >>> of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g., ???.exe)
    >>> that must be run to start Windows ?

    >> If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if you can
    >> start XP from the commandline the way you could start Win 3.1 or 9x
    >> from DOS by typing "windows". The answer is no.
    >>
    >> If you are talking about the 6 XP boot floppy disks that are used to
    >> install XP if your computer can't boot from the cd drive (since all XP
    >> installation cd's are bootable), then here is the information about
    >> that:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:19:01 -0700, "DaleB"
    <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi:
    >
    >You say the answer is no for XP. OK.
    >Now, how abouit for Windows 98 or 95 ?
    >Is the correct command 'windows' or something else ?

    The correct command under Windows 9x is "win.com" (this files lives in
    C:\Windows).

    **** NOTE that this command will not work for Windows XP, since the
    file does not exist on Windows XP ****

    I don't know what the correct command was for Windows 95.

    There is no start-up command for Windows XP, since XP is not built on
    a DOS foundation, and it is not possible to "boot to DOS" unless there
    is a partition on your HD containing the MS-DOS operating system to
    which to boot, or unless you have a MS-DOS startup floppy from which
    to boot.

    >Thanx !
    >
    >"Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> DaleB wrote:
    >>
    >> > This does not answer my question:
    >> >
    >> > If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS mode,
    >> > what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    >> > of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g., ???.exe)
    >> > that must be run to start Windows ?

    >> If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if you can
    >> start XP from the commandline the way you could start Win 3.1 or 9x
    >> from DOS by typing "windows". The answer is no.
    >>
    >> If you are talking about the 6 XP boot floppy disks that are used to
    >> install XP if your computer can't boot from the cd drive (since all XP
    >> installation cd's are bootable), then here is the information about
    >> that:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

    You do not have to type win.com, you can just type win. Or win with a
    switch. Works for Windows 3.1, 3.11, Windows 95 and Windows 98.

    Does not work from Windows ME, unless you do a tweak, or any other versions
    of Windows. Especially does *not* work with Windows XP.

    Windows 95/98 Win.com Command-Line Switches
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142544

    Windows 3.1 WIN.COM Command Switches
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=82731

    WIN.COM is the executable file located in windows directory used to load
    Microsoft Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95 and 98.

    Pathext environment variable lists the file extensions that are considered
    to be executable and controls what extensions have to typed.

    It was true with MS-DOS and still true with XP and probably 2003.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:p14te155vpthsvbgpdtg1p8dpadjens3qg@4ax.com,
    Donald L McDaniel <orthocrossNOSPAM@skycasters.net> hunted and pecked:
    > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:19:01 -0700, "DaleB"
    > <DaleB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> You say the answer is no for XP. OK.
    >> Now, how abouit for Windows 98 or 95 ?
    >> Is the correct command 'windows' or something else ?
    >
    > The correct command under Windows 9x is "win.com" (this files lives in
    > C:\Windows).
    >
    > **** NOTE that this command will not work for Windows XP, since the
    > file does not exist on Windows XP ****
    >
    > I don't know what the correct command was for Windows 95.
    >
    > There is no start-up command for Windows XP, since XP is not built on
    > a DOS foundation, and it is not possible to "boot to DOS" unless there
    > is a partition on your HD containing the MS-DOS operating system to
    > which to boot, or unless you have a MS-DOS startup floppy from which
    > to boot.
    >

    >> Thanx !

    >>> If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if you can
    >>> start XP from the commandline the way you could start Win 3.1 or 9x
    >>> from DOS by typing "windows". The answer is no.
    >>>
    >>> If you are talking about the 6 XP boot floppy disks that are used to
    >>> install XP if your computer can't boot from the cd drive (since all XP
    >>> installation cd's are bootable), then here is the information about
    >>> that:
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994
    >>>
    >>> Malke
    >>> --
    >>> Elephant Boy Computers
    >>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >>> "Don't Panic!"
    >>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >>>

    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please reply to the original thread.
    > If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    > from my email address before sending.

    This suprised me, I must say.

    On XP, it lives here>>
    %windir%\system32\WIN.COM = WIN.COM for compatibility

    Even part of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/?fid=16972&l=55&det=1

    win.com
    http://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/?dlltype=file&l=55&alpha=win.com&S=1

    --

    "" wrote:
    > This does not answer my question:
    >
    > If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS
    > mode,
    > what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    > of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g.,
    > ???.exe)
    > that must be run to start Windows ?
    >
    > Thanx !
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    > > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > >
    > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > Technologies:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    > -----------------------------
    > >
    > > "DaleB" wrote:
    > >
    > > | Hi:
    > > |
    > > | Can Windws XP be starting by giving a command on the
    > > | command line of a "DOS Window" , either from the
    > > | C: drive or a floppy drive where you booted with an
    > > | emergency backup disk ? If so, what are the details ?
    > > |
    > > | Thank you
    > > |
    > > | DaleB

    You carnt start windows xp from DOS.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Starting-Windows-XP-command-line-ftopict403200.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1335185

    Since Windows XP does not run on top of DOS, what you want to do
    cannot be done. You will need to restart your computer. The easiest
    way is to remove the floppy and then do the CTRL-ALT-DEL key
    depression.

    On 5 Aug 2005 00:35:56 -0400, Sparda
    <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    >"" wrote:
    > > This does not answer my question:
    > >
    > > If I start the computer from a floopy so that it is in the DOS
    > > mode,
    > > what command(s) do I have to give in order to start execution
    > > of Windows ? What is the name of the Windows file (e.g.,
    > > ???.exe)
    > > that must be run to start Windows ?
    > >
    > > Thanx !
    > >

    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    > > > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Carey Frisch
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    > > >
    > > > Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security
    > > Technologies:
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

    >You carnt start windows xp from DOS.

Windows XP Command Line