Low Volume when Running Sound to TV

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Hi,

Regardless of what player I use on my PC, when I run video to my TV, I have to turn the sound up really high on the TV to be able to hear it.

I have an Audigy PCI card. To make the sound work at all I have to put it on 5.1 surround sound, so maybe this isn't the ideal way to go.

The output I use on the card is the analogue/digital out jack, though I'm not sure how I tell it I want analogue or digital.

I'm not really sure how I should set it up. I think maybe the sound I am getting is bad as it's only out of luck I'm getting it, not because I've set it up properly.

I'd be really grateful for some help here.

Thanks,

James

Arialis

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
I had the same problem recently and I just got use to cranking up the sound. Than my main system died and had to start using my second puter. When I wanted to watch somthign on TV I would just plug into the headphone jack off my speakers pod. And wouldnt you know it but the sound was perfect. What I concluded the problem was that the output of my sound card was a line lvl signal. And really meant to be feeding powered devices. The inputes on my tv turns out are not self powered.

Try amping the signal before the TV, or going to a stereo first.

JWK

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Ok, that sounds fair enough.

So, an audigy requires amplification when being connected up to the TV. Well, looks like I'll just keep turning the volume up then.

Thanks for your help Arialis

James

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
The headphone socket always gave me lower output on my TV.

Does your TV have a PHONO output on the back? - this delivers higher volume and a level output. Just get a cable with 2xphono -> 3.5mm Jack - the phonos go into the TV and the other end into the Line In port. Also just increase the Line In Volume in Volume Control.

Hope this helps :wink: