Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7-720QM + 230M v P7550 + 4650 - HP

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 16, 2009 5:12:33 PM

Hello All,

Been doing some research and I think im going to go with a new 15.6" HP Notebook. After messing around with their online config, ive come up with 2 systems who have comparable specs with the only differences being the cpu and gpu. Which combo between the i7-720QM + 230M and the P7550 + 4650 would be better? I plan on doing some minor gaming with this machine but when I do, it would be with current games(MW2, Batman Arkham, etc) as well as watching movies and surfing the internet. I dont need the gaming to be super high settings everything, I have my desktop for that but want to be able to do gaming on medium settings. The other biggy for me would be watching movies and using the HDMI output to watch them on our 52" and 40" HDTV with that "true HD" pop in the picture.

Based on these, would I be better off with the quad core but slightly lessor gpu, or dual core but better gpu?

Thanks for your help!

More about : 720qm 230m p7550 4650

November 16, 2009 5:44:18 PM

The dual core solution would give you slightly longer battery life and better performance in games, but the i7 would be more powerful in multi-threaded programs. Considering what you want to do, personally I would go with the dual core.
m
0
l
a b α HP
a c 244 D Laptop
November 16, 2009 7:26:21 PM

+1^
Since you will be most doing gaming and not so much CPU intensive games then i would choose the P7550 + 4650 because 4650 is better than GT 230M
m
0
l
November 16, 2009 11:37:11 PM

The first system with the i7 seems better the P7550 just isn't very strong.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 12:28:11 AM

^Keep in mind the i7 only runs at 1.6 GHz where the dual core runs at 2.26 GHz. It's true that the i7 has more IPC's (instructions per clock) than the core 2 architecture but not 41 % more (at least in most applications) so its safe to say the core 2 will provide better performance in single and dual threaded apps, but the i7 gives you 4 cores (which you'll probably never use on a laptop).
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 12:39:39 AM

Just in case you didn't know the special thing about an i7 is that it performs very well in single or dual threaded apps. This is because it has something called turbo boost which overclocks the processor when it's only using one or two of it's cores. The i7 720qm can be overclocked as high as 2.8GHz so it will outperform almost any dual core.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 12:50:25 AM

VistaVendetta said:
Just in case you didn't know the special thing about an i7 is that it performs very well in single or dual threaded apps. This is because it has something called turbo boost which overclocks the processor when it's only using one or two of it's cores. The i7 720qm can be overclocked as high as 2.8GHz so it will outperform almost any dual core.


When you say it can be overclocked, do you mean OC'ing like with a desktop cpu or just that it the turbo technology will overclock it automatically? I tried oc'ing once and fried my system, not sure ill be giving it another shot anytime soon.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 12:53:07 AM

Not in an HP notebook it can't be OC'ed. He also said he'd be doing gaming; he doesn't want to game on a high-powered cpu that's limited by its gpu. Here's a recent benchmark of two systems; one with an i7 920XM (2 GHz variant of the cpu he's looking at) and the other with a Q9300 (2.53 GHz quad core) with the rest of the system (gpu mainly) the same. Looking at the gaming section, the core 2 quad manages to keep up with the i7 (it never trials by more than 20% but when it does the frames are well above 60 anyway). The clock difference here is 26.5%, and the gpu is the same.
Now back to our friend here; the core 2 has more than a 40% clockspeed lead, in addition to more powerful graphics. The choice should be obvious.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 12:54:28 AM

mrmark27 don't worry, you can't OC anyway; your bios will be locked (you probably wouldn't want to OC on a laptop anyway, the cpu already runs hot).
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:12:06 AM

2 other questions that i've thought of since my original post.

1- how do the 5400 rpm hd's compare to the 7200 rpm hd's? looking at some benchmarks, they dont seem to be that far off. Is the lesser power consumption and heat of the 5400's worth the tradeoff in speed you get from the 7200?

2- on the HP config, under battery options they list the standard 6-cell, long life battery, and high capacity 6-cell. does anyone know if there is any difference between the 3 batteries or just a way for HP to get some extra $$$?
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:19:51 AM

^Yes, but it will only go up to 2.8 GHz with single threads; 2 threads should be somewhere around 2.4 GHz (the review I posted has the cpu with turboboost enabled, so the percentages still stand). This still doesn't alleviate the gpu discrepancy, as putting an overpowered cpu with a mediocre gpu won't yield as good of performance as putting a mid-range cpu with a higher-end gpu. Plus, the core 2 laptop will be more than twice as long as the i7 (also seen in the review I posted).
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:24:01 AM

Well if you look on the HP website when you're customizing it has a link called "help me decide." But I personally would go with the Long Life battery because it has a 3 year warranty.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:24:24 AM

The 7200's do give a little speed boost, but most of the time its not worth the money (the wear and tear shouldn't be much more though, most laptop HDD's are rated at 2.5 Watts, including the 7200's).

Some batteries are designed to last longer than others; some do it by increasing the number of cells, some by increasing the cells' size. Either way can be just as effective, depending of course on how it is done, but you will likely have a price premium accompanied with a better battery; if you plan on using the battery a lot, it might be worth the upgrade.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:27:15 AM

mrmark27 I was just wondering can you tell me your price range so I can better assess the possibilities.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:28:19 AM

^Agreed, we might be able to make a compromise with a core i7 mobile and decent graphics.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:34:43 AM

I was hoping to keep the max at around 1k which is part of why I was looking at the HP configs, they have had a number of coupons listed recently. I was able to put together configs with either the i7/230M and p7550/4650 at 900-950 with a 500gb hd, high capacity battery, and wireless n.

I was also looking at the Dell Studios' bc they have the 1920 HD screens, but in order to put something together in a similar price range I would need to make some decent sacrifices that I dont think the better screen would be worth for me.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:40:19 AM

I had also considered this ASUS, although it has a smaller/slower hard drive, lower cpu, and DDR2 ram vs DDR3. Also not sure on ASUS quality, I know that they are known for their motherboards and been making them for years but wasn't sure on their reliability in terms of the full system build
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:41:13 AM

Well that helps. Anyway if you aren't worried about sacrificing a little processor power and a little hard drive rpm there are plenty of gaming laptops with P8700 CPUs and GTX 260m. I think BestBuy has some going for about 1k. pepperman what do you think?
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:41:29 AM

^link please
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:42:42 AM

Asus is pretty good on quality but DDR3 RAM is not only faster it's more energy efficient than DDR2.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:43:01 AM

He could probably get a pre-built with better specs for about the same price, and best buy black friday/cyber monday is always a good time to shop (jk).
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:44:05 AM

The ASUS is a small step down in cpu, but a big step up in graphics; also not a bad price.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:45:43 AM

VistaVendetta said:
Asus is pretty good on quality but DDR3 RAM is not only faster it's more energy efficient than DDR2.


Its true that DDR3 is a tad faster and more energy efficient, but for the price with that gpu, that's not a bad deal at all.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:46:13 AM

VistaVendetta said:
Asus is pretty good on quality but DDR3 RAM is not only faster it's more energy efficient than DDR2.


Thanks. That was part of why I was considering the i7, figure the faster fsb can better take advantage of the DDR3 than the core 2. I had read somewhere that the 1066 fsb didn't fully opitimize the DDR3, whereas the i7 could.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:49:23 AM

^That ones not bad either; faster and more power-efficient cpu (longer battery life), plus a bigger HDD

Edit: didn't see the bigger battery (cpu's should both be P series-25 W)
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 1:54:53 AM

Thanks. I had checked out that asus model also, however it was a bit out of my price range. Although it would be nice, I dont need the 260m. Would rather get a better cpu and DDR3 ram with the slightly lesser(unless you think theres a significant difference between the 260m and 4650/230m) gpu.

Originally, I had been hoping to spend closer to 800, however after looking into the notebooks and seeing what was in that range, I expanded it to 1k. Not sure I would be able to justify going over that range for the amount ill end up using the notebook and what ill be using it for.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:03:11 AM

im in about the same boat as you. as far as i could figure, the sweet spot for GPU in terms of ability versus power consumption was the GTS 250m for nvidia and who knows what for ATI. unfortunately, I cant seem to find anything reasonable with the 250m.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:03:34 AM

Well then I would suggest you go with what pepperman said in one of his earlier posts and buy a prebuilt gaming laptop. The only thing is be careful who you buy from, and always check with their return policy before buying.

For the GPUs this is how it goes 230 = weakest 4650 =middle 260 = strongest of the three.
:sol: 
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:06:02 AM

There is a fair difference between the three gpu's (260m, 4650, 230m). I still recommend the 4650 + core 2 vs. the core i7 + 230m, but the you might want to consider the cheaper asus model; since you want to game, the 260m will give you the best performance despite the slightly slower cpu.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:07:11 AM

VistaVendetta said:
Well then I would suggest you go with what pepperman said in one of his earlier posts and buy a prebuilt gaming laptop. The only thing is be careful who you buy from, and always check with their return policy before buying.

For the GPUs this is how it goes 230 = weakest 4650 =middle 260 = strongest of the three.
:sol: 


Great, thanks for all of your help tonight.

Regarding the 230 v 4650, is it a significant difference(high vs medium on current games, 5-10 fps on similar settings, etc)?
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:07:36 AM

do you know anything about who is/isnt good for the prebuilt systems?
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:10:06 AM

pepperman said:
There is a fair difference between the three gpu's (260m, 4650, 230m). I still recommend the 4650 + core 2 vs. the core i7 + 230m, but the you might want to consider the cheaper asus model; since you want to game, the 260m will give you the best performance despite the slightly slower cpu.


Thats part of where my problem lies. I want to be able to game, however that wont be the main focus of this machine for me. I have my desktop for my gaming needs, however I want something where if I want to do some gaming it would be with the current games and I dont want something that will give poor output. I guess I need to just decide what it is exactly I want out of this machine and where im willing to make some sacrifices.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:10:09 AM

Lenevo is decent, but it usually costs a bit extra; Acer is good on the low-end, I don't know much about their high-end stuff, though.
You want to stay away from Gateway and Compaq, unless you're on a really low budget; their quality and customer service are terrible in my experience.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:13:17 AM

ibuypower and cyberpowerpc are 2 big prebuilt gaming companies they sell their stuff at a lot of stores like Costco and Newegg and they have their own online stores, but I personally have never done any business with either of them so I would recommend looking online for more info on them. Oh btw BBB (better business bureau) gave both companies B-, hope this helps.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:13:31 AM

mrmark27 said:
Thats part of where my problem lies. I want to be able to game, however that wont be the main focus of this machine for me. I have my desktop for my gaming needs, however I want something where if I want to do some gaming it would be with the current games and I dont want something that will give poor output. I guess I need to just decide what it is exactly I want out of this machine and where im willing to make some sacrifices.


Personally, I would go with the ASUS $1000; the cpu is still powerful enough for gaming and day-to-day tasks (its only .13 GHz slower than the HP core 2), and the gpu one of the best mobile gpu's on the market. You should be able to play new games for quite a while with that one.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 2:18:39 AM

I agree with pepperman the asus should do for your everyday tasks and gaming tasks as well. Heres one suggestion keep the desktop for gaming needs and use the laptop for everything else, thats what I do. I use my desktop to play the games I want and I use my laptop just for schoolwork.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 3:15:58 AM

Hmmm yes I am also very confused. I am only afraid that in a few years technology on desktops and laptops will make the switch to i5 and i7, therefore making the P8700, P7550 etc. outdated. I am also looking at that very same asus but there is anohter laptop I am also looking at and that would be this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+FX+Edition+Laptop...

the only thing is this has a 5400rpm vs ASUS 7200rpm dont know if that will make much of a diff, but hard drives can be upgraded no prob....this also has a p8700.

Im not sure if that gateway has LED, or backlit keyboard..what do you guys think?

Agian it depends on your needs...I agree with VistaVendetta if you have a gaming desktop there is not much need to have a gaming laptop, unless ur too lazy to take the desktop to lan partys etc. IMO, if you wanna use it for school work etc. get the i7, but the P7550 + 4650 is stronger in gaming performance, but may not be worth it in the long run. Its the one think i hate about technology it just upgrades too fast lol.
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 3:23:40 AM

harisf said:
Hmmm yes I am also very confused. I am only afraid that in a few years technology on desktops and laptops will make the switch to i5 and i7, therefore making the P8700, P7550 etc. outdated. I am also looking at that very same asus but there is anohter laptop I am also looking at and that would be this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+FX+Edition+Laptop...

the only thing is this has a 5400rpm vs ASUS 7200rpm dont know if that will make much of a diff, but hard drives can be upgraded no prob....this also has a p8700.

Im not sure if that gateway has LED, or backlit keyboard..what do you guys think?

Agian it depends on your needs...I agree with VistaVendetta if you have a gaming desktop there is not much need to have a gaming laptop, unless ur too lazy to take the desktop to lan partys etc. IMO, if you wanna use it for school work etc. get the i7, but the P7550 + 4650 is stronger in gaming performance, but may not be worth it in the long run. Its the one think i hate about technology it just upgrades too fast lol.


Asus is superior quality compared to Gateway. I know from experience gateway is very cheap about their computers. My friend had a gateway and it broke down a few months after he bought it, I would personally get the Asus with the P8700 even though it's a little pricier.
:sol: 
m
0
l
November 17, 2009 10:47:43 AM

Thanks for all of your help, really gave me a lot to think about. To bad laptops cant be as easy to upgrade in the future as desktops :)  where I could just replace the cpu/gpu in a year or so once technology catches up with it.
m
0
l
November 18, 2009 2:29:57 AM

VistaVendetta said:
Asus is superior quality compared to Gateway. I know from experience gateway is very cheap about their computers. My friend had a gateway and it broke down a few months after he bought it, I would personally get the Asus with the P8700 even though it's a little pricier.
:sol: 


Oh is that so?

If that is true, then please help me decide in my other thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/55026-35-laptop-graph...

View my last post
thanks for your help man
m
0
l
November 18, 2009 7:28:10 PM

I was in the same boat as you. I decided to go with the i7 and 230m. I went with it because they had a coupon you could use and it dropped the sysytem down to 999. Heres the configuration I decided to go with. I wish I still had the coupon code but I dont know where I got it from and I cannot find it. After I recieve this I will post and let you know how the i7 with 230m performs.

HP Pavilion dv8t Quad Edition customizable Notebook PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
• 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
• 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
• Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
• Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Espresso Black)
• Intel Wireless-N Mini-card
• HP Color Matching Keyboard
• 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
m
0
l
November 18, 2009 8:59:40 PM

Tical, thanks. Was that the $500 off code? I know that they had that code and now its just a $200 off on top of the 150-200 they already discount it. I had been looking at using the 500 off code but dragged my feet to long and missed the shot at it. Let me know how it looks on some high end games. I'd be going with the dv6t line most likely.
m
0
l
November 19, 2009 3:38:40 AM

Yea i might go with the dv7t at costco as well, Tical tell us how it runs some modern and new games.
m
0
l
November 19, 2009 4:13:35 PM

mrmark27 said:
Tical, thanks. Was that the $500 off code? I know that they had that code and now its just a $200 off on top of the 150-200 they already discount it. I had been looking at using the 500 off code but dragged my feet to long and missed the shot at it. Let me know how it looks on some high end games. I'd be going with the dv6t line most likely.



Its supposed to ship today. Im not sure if the games I play are highend, but I will be playing DragonAge Origins and Borderland on it. I do a lot of multi tasking, thats why I bought it. I will let you know how it longs on thewe games, but if you have aa high end game in mind let me know
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 1:52:51 AM

tical2103 said:
Its supposed to ship today. Im not sure if the games I play are highend, but I will be playing DragonAge Origins and Borderland on it. I do a lot of multi tasking, thats why I bought it. I will let you know how it longs on thewe games, but if you have aa high end game in mind let me know


Tical,

How have you liked the notebook? Any reviews on it so far?

THanks!
m
0
l
December 3, 2009 7:38:27 AM

Hey aaaahh!! I am in the same track with two options,

1. Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) with 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M

2. Intel Core2 Duo Processor P7450 (2.13 GHz 3MB L2 Cache 1066MHz FSB) with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96) with up to 2815MB total available graphics memory with 1024MB dedicated.

what do you suggest me. I like to play most games demanding games, do multimedia stuffs and use VM ware on my machine for running windows server 2008. how about Moonlight white and expresso black ... which is good?

would 2815MB total available graphics memory with 1024MB dedicated would make more stuffs than 1 GB 230M ? Does L2 Cache helps in games ? would P7450 will be outdated soon as i7 series on the way.

Heard that 4650 not likely to be build in the same configuration as in desktop.

Pls advice me!!!! on this two option.
m
0
l
December 3, 2009 7:46:06 AM

tical2103 said:
Its supposed to ship today. Im not sure if the games I play are highend, but I will be playing DragonAge Origins and Borderland on it. I do a lot of multi tasking, thats why I bought it. I will let you know how it longs on thewe games, but if you have aa high end game in mind let me know




any updates on the I7 Laptop?

pls provide an update ,about the performance... i would like to order one.. if its good in Games and multitasking...

Rgds

Rehan
m
0
l
!