No disk access on NTFS (Unknown Partition) drive

Peaches79

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2005
I recently upgraded my pc and one thing I wanted to keep over from my old system was my 120gig hdd; as a back up drive. On my old system this drive had been partitioned as a 20gig C: with all my system files and the 100gig D: with all my media files/college work etc.

My new system is an AMD64 with a 400gig SATA. I also upgrade my from windows xp to xp64. When I was installing xp64 I partitioned off 40gig of the new drive to be my new system files drive. Everything went well with the install and when windows booted up I loaded "Computer Management". I formatted the raw drive space into a 360gig NTFS system.

My system looked like this..

C: 40gig SATA
D: 360gig SATA
E: 20gig IDE
F: 100gig IDE

After using xp64 for a few day and being unable to get some of my hardware working I decided to downgrade OS and reformat my C so that I could re-install regular xp.

Also because I wanted to remove the partition from the E and F drives I copied all my files to a backup folder on my new D drive. I then proceeded to remove the partition and formatted the E drive.

However when I re-installed XP I cannont access the 360gig drive. In "Computer Manager" it displays thus

Volume : Media
Layout : Partition
Type : Basic
File System : NTFS
Capacity : 335.35GB
Free Space : 231.41GB
%Free : 69%
Fault Tol : No
Overhead : No

I believed that the problem was with xp. My system was now configured like this

C: 40gig Windows XP Installed.
D: 360gig unreadable, not appearing in explorer
E: 120gig free space

I assumed that if I re-installed xp64 I would get full access to my files. So I installed it to my E: not wanting to have to re-install xp again. Now that I had dual boot, I booted up xp64 and tried to retrieve my files. However when I loaded "Computer Management" the 360gig drive appears thus.

Volume : (blank)
Layout : Partition
Type : Basic
File System : (blank)
Capacity : 335.35GB
Free Space : 335.35GB
%Free : 100%
Fault Tol : No
Overhead : No

When I reboot into xp and it appears the other way.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get access to my files? I'm open to any suggestions.

sturm

Splendid
When you reinstalled xp did you delete the c partition and recreate it?
If you did and you had the d partition as an extended partition, it lost needed info to access that extended partition.
As far as getting the info it looks like it is there, according to the xp info. Youll need some data recovery software. Not to sure which one is best. Never had to use them.
Other than that I have no other ideas.
You might try making an NTFS boot disk and seeing if you can get it that way.