Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,
What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home edition
and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard option
under system tools.
--
Aaron

Malke

Aaron wrote:

> Hi all,
> What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important
> word/excel
> files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home
> edition and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back
> up wizard option under system tools.

It really depends on how and where you are saving the data. The simplest
thing is to regularly burn all the items to cd-r manually. Or if you
want something running in the background to funnel everything to one
particular folder (which you will then regularly burn to cd-r) use
something like SecondCopy from www.centered.com.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Aaron" wrote:

| Hi all,
| What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
| files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home edition
| and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard option
| under system tools.
| --
| Aaron

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Now that I do have the wizard, should I send it to a CD? If so, what type of
CD should I store this info on. I really appreaciate the help.
--
Aaron

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Aaron" wrote:
>
> | Hi all,
> | What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
> | files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home edition
> | and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard option
> | under system tools.
> | --
> | Aaron

Unless you've redirected the destination folders, everything you listed
is stored under your user profile folder in Documents & Settings. You
can use the Files and Settings Wizard to create a composite of all that
data into a single module. However, I would suggest that you burn to
CD/DVD-R your My Documents, Email stores and Address book as
a minimum. Since these are the most critical user data, you would want
them in a Readable format - for easy recovery.
Pictures & Music are generally quite large and aren't modified as much
as other personal data. Also, those are usually already in a compressed
form, so additional encapsulation isn't really beneficial.
The easiest form of backup is an Image. It's a true copy of a drive or a
partition stored in a compressed module or modules.However, Images
store data much like a zip - so recovering individual files/folders isn't as
easy as a simple backup operation.
Actually, I recommend that users employ both methods. Backup your
personal data and then Image your XP instance.
The key to any backup or image is verification. You always want to
take time to ensure that the data is written correctly and can be retrieved
if needed. Nothing is worse than having a backup or image that turns
out to be unrecoverable. For images this entails doing a verification pass
on the image output to compare it's contents to the source drive. For
backups, you'll want to explore the disk or media and make sure you
can read and access the information.

"Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
> files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home
> edition
> and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard
> option
> under system tools.
> --
> Aaron

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I tried using a CD-RW Rewritable (700MB PNY Tech), but I'am unable to open
many files on other computers. I have also noticed that word will freeze on
both computers quite often when I am retrieving from the disk. Any
suggestions?????
--
Aaron

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:07:04 -0700, Aaron wrote:

> Hi all,
> What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
> files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home edition
> and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard option
> under system tools.

If you have a CD-RW or a DVD-/+RW drive, burn them to a RW disk each week.
If you don't have a CD/DVD burner, then purchase a cheap external USB
drive and copy your files to it once a week or as needed.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:36:03 -0700, Aaron wrote:

> I tried using a CD-RW Rewritable (700MB PNY Tech), but I'am unable to open
> many files on other computers. I have also noticed that word will freeze on
> both computers quite often when I am retrieving from the disk. Any
> suggestions?????

Burn them at a lower speed - around 2x or 4x and see if that makes a
difference. You might also try different CDRW disks, like Memorex or
Maxell.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Alias

Get an external hard drive, either a case with an internal HD put inside it
or a for-real external HD (the former is cheaper). Either clone an image of
your system using Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost. Or, just copy the
files over manually using Windows Explorer.

Alias

"Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi all,
> What is the best way to back up my favorites, music, important word/excel
> files, address book, pics etc. etc. I am currently running XP home
> edition
> and don't have access to the XP windows file to add the back up wizard
> option
> under system tools.
> --
> Aaron