low virtual memory

Have recently seen a warning message that my virtual memory is low and that
Windows is working to increase it. Have not had a lot of programs running
at same time, so really perplexed about why my virtual memory is low. Last
msg I saw regarding this subject was about 15 minutes ago and only thing I
was busy with was defragmenting an external drive. Can someone give me some
suggestions on how to correct this problem? Hopefully in layman's terms.
Thanks

Make sure you don't have spyware and adware and do some virus checking

"donnie 13" wrote:

> Have recently seen a warning message that my virtual memory is low and that
> Windows is working to increase it. Have not had a lot of programs running
> at same time, so really perplexed about why my virtual memory is low. Last
> msg I saw regarding this subject was about 15 minutes ago and only thing I
> was busy with was defragmenting an external drive. Can someone give me some
> suggestions on how to correct this problem? Hopefully in layman's terms.
> Thanks

Windows increasing it means that it has fixed it itself. Perhaps the paging
file had just.. shrunk 0_0

--
- Mark Randall
http://zetech.swehli.com

"donnie 13" <donnie13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have recently seen a warning message that my virtual memory is low and
> that
> Windows is working to increase it. Have not had a lot of programs
> running
> at same time, so really perplexed about why my virtual memory is low.
> Last
> msg I saw regarding this subject was about 15 minutes ago and only thing I
> was busy with was defragmenting an external drive. Can someone give me
> some
> suggestions on how to correct this problem? Hopefully in layman's terms.
> Thanks

Hi

Please have a look at the following article by the late Alex Nichol:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"donnie 13" <donnie13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have recently seen a warning message that my virtual memory is low and
> that
> Windows is working to increase it. Have not had a lot of programs
> running
> at same time, so really perplexed about why my virtual memory is low.
> Last
> msg I saw regarding this subject was about 15 minutes ago and only thing I
> was busy with was defragmenting an external drive. Can someone give me
> some
> suggestions on how to correct this problem? Hopefully in layman's terms.
> Thanks

Jim

"donnie 13" <donnie13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have recently seen a warning message that my virtual memory is low and
that
> Windows is working to increase it. Have not had a lot of programs
running
> at same time, so really perplexed about why my virtual memory is low.
Last
> msg I saw regarding this subject was about 15 minutes ago and only thing I
> was busy with was defragmenting an external drive. Can someone give me
some
> suggestions on how to correct this problem? Hopefully in layman's terms.
> Thanks
Let windows manage the size of the pagefile. A small pagefile can cause
this problem. By the way, isn't defrag a heavy user of virtual memory?
Jim

TRENDING THREADS