How to remove dual boot startup screen

August 1, 2005 6:44:03 PM

I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail CD of XP
pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full reformat.
I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot screen as XP
Home no longer exists?
August 1, 2005 6:44:04 PM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:44:03 +0100, "Adrian Boliston"
<adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote:

>I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail CD of XP
>pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full reformat.
>I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
>a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot screen as XP
>Home no longer exists?

I've never had to do this with XP but I expect the dual boot menu is
stored in the mbr so I would expect if you boot to the XP cdrom's
recovery console and type "fixmbr" without the quotes it will
overwrite the mbr and delete the dual boot menu. That's how you get
rid of the boot menu with Linux anyway, just overwrite the mbr.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:44:04 PM

Open the boot.ini file on the C:\ drive with notepad. Remove the lines
associated with Windows XP Home. Save file. You're done.
Adrian Boliston wrote:
> I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail CD of XP
> pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full reformat.
> I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
> a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot screen as XP
> Home no longer exists?
Related resources
August 1, 2005 6:44:04 PM

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a
> retail CD of XP pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup
> which includes a full reformat. I now have XP pro up and running, but
> I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
> a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot
> screen as XP Home no longer exists?

Start>Run>msconfig [enter]

Look on the boot.ini screen and click the button to fix boot paths.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

You're wrong. (but no harm will come of it if someone does those steps). As
mentioned by others, modifying boot.ini is all that is needed. The easiest
way is Malke's.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Fisher" <fisher@noemail.here> wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:44:03 +0100, "Adrian Boliston"
> <adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail
>>CD of XP
>>pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full
>>reformat.
>>I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen
>>giving
>>a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot
>>screen as XP
>>Home no longer exists?
>>
> I've never had to do this with XP but I expect the dual boot menu is
> stored in the mbr so I would expect if you boot to the XP cdrom's
> recovery console and type "fixmbr" without the quotes it will
> overwrite the mbr and delete the dual boot menu. That's how you get
> rid of the boot menu with Linux anyway, just overwrite the mbr.
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:12:41 PM

> Adrian Boliston wrote:
>
>> I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a
>> retail CD of XP pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup
>> which includes a full reformat. I now have XP pro up and running, but
>> I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
>> a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot
>> screen as XP Home no longer exists?
>
> Start>Run>msconfig [enter]
>
> Look on the boot.ini screen and click the button to fix boot paths.

Thanks this seems to have sorted it - there was a button labelled "check
paths" and it detected that the xp home path was not valid and deleted it
automatically.
August 5, 2005 4:36:00 AM

"" wrote:
> I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I
> had a retail CD of XP
> pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which
> includes a full reformat.
> I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual
> boot" screen giving
> a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this
> dual boot screen as XP
> Home no longer exists?

This question has been answered so any times, did you actualy bother
to search?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awindowsfo...

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-remove-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1335186