How to remove dual boot startup screen

I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail CD of XP
pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full reformat.
I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot screen as XP
Home no longer exists?
6 answers Last reply
More about remove dual boot startup screen

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:44:03 +0100, "Adrian Boliston"
    <adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote:

    >I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a retail CD of XP
    >pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which includes a full reformat.
    >I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
    >a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot screen as XP
    >Home no longer exists?

    I've never had to do this with XP but I expect the dual boot menu is
    stored in the mbr so I would expect if you boot to the XP cdrom's
    recovery console and type "fixmbr" without the quotes it will
    overwrite the mbr and delete the dual boot menu. That's how you get
    rid of the boot menu with Linux anyway, just overwrite the mbr.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    Open the boot.ini file on the C:\ drive with notepad. Remove the lines
    associated with Windows XP Home. Save file. You're done.

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a
    > retail CD of XP pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup
    > which includes a full reformat. I now have XP pro up and running, but
    > I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
    > a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot
    > screen as XP Home no longer exists?

    Start>Run>msconfig [enter]

    Look on the boot.ini screen and click the button to fix boot paths.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    You're wrong. (but no harm will come of it if someone does those steps). As
    mentioned by others, modifying boot.ini is all that is needed. The easiest
    way is Malke's.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Adrian Boliston wrote:
    >
    >> I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I had a
    >> retail CD of XP pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup
    >> which includes a full reformat. I now have XP pro up and running, but
    >> I get an annoying "dual boot" screen giving
    >> a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this dual boot
    >> screen as XP Home no longer exists?
    >
    > Start>Run>msconfig [enter]
    >
    > Look on the boot.ini screen and click the button to fix boot paths.

    Thanks this seems to have sorted it - there was a button labelled "check
    paths" and it detected that the xp home path was not valid and deleted it
    automatically.

    "" wrote:
    > I recently brought a laptop with XP Home preloaded, but as I
    > had a retail CD of XP
    > pro I thought I'd boot from that CD and run setup which
    > includes a full reformat.
    > I now have XP pro up and running, but I get an annoying "dual
    > boot" screen giving
    > a choice of XP pro and XP home! How can I get rid of this
    > dual boot screen as XP
    > Home no longer exists?

    This question has been answered so any times, did you actualy bother
    to search?

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=site%3Awindowsforumz.com++%2Bremove+%22dual+boot%22&btnG=Search&meta=

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-remove-dual-boot-startup-screen-ftopict403222.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1335186