ADAM - Active Directory Application Mode

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Active Directory
  • Windows XP
August 1, 2005 11:20:05 AM

Hello,

I am installing ADAM on my XP professional SP2 laptop. The installation
seems to complete ok.

When I try to connect to the ADAM through ADSI using my local Administrator
account I receive a timeout error 'The operation returned because the timeout
period expired . If I try and read the LDAP using LDP, it connects, and
issues the message 'Retrieving base DSA information...' and nothing else
happens.

I tried to uninstall however I receive the error

Active Directory could not connect to the directory service DD7XYK1J:389.
Skipping this step will cause uninstall to not save recent data changes to
another replica, and metadata will not be removed from the configuration set.
This is not suggested. The connection failed with the following error:
Error 1053

... which I can skip and the uninstall seems to complete successfully.

I used the standard ports for the installation.

I am logged onto the local machine with local admin rights.

Can somebody help me troubleshoot the setup, I have tried 4 times now and
still no success. It seems easy but I should have known better.

More about : adam active directory application mode

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:06:13 PM

> Hello,
>
> I am installing ADAM on my XP professional SP2 laptop. The installation
> seems to complete ok.
>
> When I try to connect to the ADAM through ADSI using my local
> Administrator
> account I receive a timeout error 'The operation returned because the
> timeout
> period expired . If I try and read the LDAP using LDP, it connects, and
> issues the message 'Retrieving base DSA information...' and nothing else
> happens.
>
> I tried to uninstall however I receive the error
>
> Active Directory could not connect to the directory service DD7XYK1J:389.
> Skipping this step will cause uninstall to not save recent data changes to
> another replica, and metadata will not be removed from the configuration
> set.
> This is not suggested. The connection failed with the following error:
> Error 1053
>
> .. which I can skip and the uninstall seems to complete successfully.
>
> I used the standard ports for the installation.
>
> I am logged onto the local machine with local admin rights.
>
> Can somebody help me troubleshoot the setup, I have tried 4 times now and
> still no success. It seems easy but I should have known better.

Let's start with the basics. What is the name and operating system of your
Domain Server?

carl
August 1, 2005 5:29:04 PM

Hello Carl,

I am not sure what OS my domain server runs, although I think it is windows
server 2003 my domain server name is finance.

I do not log onto the domain server on my laptop to do the installation, I
log on to the local machine with the local admin user.

Thanks

"Vagabond Software" wrote:

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am installing ADAM on my XP professional SP2 laptop. The installation
> > seems to complete ok.
> >
> > When I try to connect to the ADAM through ADSI using my local
> > Administrator
> > account I receive a timeout error 'The operation returned because the
> > timeout
> > period expired . If I try and read the LDAP using LDP, it connects, and
> > issues the message 'Retrieving base DSA information...' and nothing else
> > happens.
> >
> > I tried to uninstall however I receive the error
> >
> > Active Directory could not connect to the directory service DD7XYK1J:389.
> > Skipping this step will cause uninstall to not save recent data changes to
> > another replica, and metadata will not be removed from the configuration
> > set.
> > This is not suggested. The connection failed with the following error:
> > Error 1053
> >
> > .. which I can skip and the uninstall seems to complete successfully.
> >
> > I used the standard ports for the installation.
> >
> > I am logged onto the local machine with local admin rights.
> >
> > Can somebody help me troubleshoot the setup, I have tried 4 times now and
> > still no success. It seems easy but I should have known better.
>
> Let's start with the basics. What is the name and operating system of your
> Domain Server?
>
> carl

August 1, 2005 6:08:06 PM

> Hello Carl,
>
> I am not sure what OS my domain server runs, although I think it is
> windows
> server 2003 my domain server name is finance.
>
> I do not log onto the domain server on my laptop to do the installation, I
> log on to the local machine with the local admin user.
>
> Thanks

Ok, is this something your IT folks told you to install on your laptop? Is
your laptop a member of the corporate domain or are you installing ADAM in a
workgroup configuration?

Also, please disable real-time virus scanning while working with ADAM or at
least 'exclude' *.dit, *.log, *.edb, and *.chk files that are in the
"\Microsoft ADAM" folder hierarchy from real-time protection.

Carl
August 2, 2005 5:36:03 AM

Hi,

The laptop is a member of the domain Finance. I am trying to install ADAM
for an application I work with to test functionality, I thought it would be
easier than trying to get IT to set up a test ADS for me.

I disable my viruscan software completely and it makes no difference. The
personal firewall is allowing traffic through port 389 which is the only port
I am trying to connect through

I also installed ADAM on a laptop XP SP2 which is connected to a workgroup,
as an Admin user, and I receive exaclty the same set of error messages.

Any thoughts.

Peter

!