Can you get the drive letters to show up on the left in ex..

At work we have so many network drives and in a recent upgrade to xp, the
drive letters are showing up at the very end of the drive description. In
certain applications, you only get to see a short portion of the beginning of
the drive info and with the complex naming schemes we have, it is difficult
to remember what's what and hard to tell the difference with just the
beginning showing. It's very easy to remember what we've designated as K or N
or P for example. Any way to switch these letters back to the beginning?

Thanks much!

Pat

Pat,

A registry edit is required to show the Drive-letters first. Start
Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

In the right-pane, create a new DWORD value named "ShowDriveLettersFirst"

Double-click "ShowDriveLettersFirst" and set it's Value Data to "4"

Close Regedit.exe

If you want to apply the changes to other computers (if in a network), you
may create a REG file and distribute to your other computers, or using Group
Policy.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Pat,
>
> A registry edit is required to show the Drive-letters first. Start
> Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
>
> In the right-pane, create a new DWORD value named "ShowDriveLettersFirst"
>
> Double-click "ShowDriveLettersFirst" and set it's Value Data to "4"
>
> Close Regedit.exe
>
> If you want to apply the changes to other computers (if in a network),
> you may create a REG file and distribute to your other computers, or
> using Group Policy.

See below for more help

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330193

Jerry

This did exactly what I wanted it to do. Had to reboot to see the change in
Explorer itself but the changed showed up immediately in other programs when
I did file, open.

Thanks for your help

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Pat,
>
> A registry edit is required to show the Drive-letters first. Start
> Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
>
> In the right-pane, create a new DWORD value named "ShowDriveLettersFirst"
>
> Double-click "ShowDriveLettersFirst" and set it's Value Data to "4"
>
> Close Regedit.exe
>
> If you want to apply the changes to other computers (if in a network), you
> may create a REG file and distribute to your other computers, or using Group
> Policy.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Pat B" <PatB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > At work we have so many network drives and in a recent upgrade to xp, the
> > drive letters are showing up at the very end of the drive description. In
> > certain applications, you only get to see a short portion of the beginning
> > of
> > the drive info and with the complex naming schemes we have, it is
> > difficult
> > to remember what's what and hard to tell the difference with just the
> > beginning showing. It's very easy to remember what we've designated as K
> > or N
> > or P for example. Any way to switch these letters back to the beginning?
> >
> > Thanks much!
> >
> > Pat

That is incorrect. Hence my post.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"jwill" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Pat,
>>
>> A registry edit is required to show the Drive-letters first. Start
>> Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
>>
>> In the right-pane, create a new DWORD value named "ShowDriveLettersFirst"
>>
>> Double-click "ShowDriveLettersFirst" and set it's Value Data to "4"
>>
>> Close Regedit.exe
>>
>> If you want to apply the changes to other computers (if in a network),
>> you may create a REG file and distribute to your other computers, or
>> using Group Policy.
>>

> See below for more help
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330193
>
> Jerry