Confused on Folder Sharing

OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.

I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a Lynksys
router.

I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.

All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security precautions
(MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).

Now, here is what I want to do.

I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this folder.
That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or with my
wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington

So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and I
thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.

Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture in
the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then followed
instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on the Wireless
and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might not be correct!)

I then rebooted the wireless.

I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in Windows
Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the network.

Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear that
the folder is enabled for sharing.

But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.

Suggestions??

Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and re-run
the Network Setup Wizard?

Mel

ahall

MB> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
MB> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a Lynksys
MB> router.

MB> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.

MB> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security precautions
MB> (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).

MB> Now, here is what I want to do.

MB> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this folder.
MB> That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or with my
MB> wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington

MB> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and I
MB> thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.

MB> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
MB> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
MB> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
MB> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture in
MB> the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then followed
MB> instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on the Wireless
MB> and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might not be correct!)

MB> I then rebooted the wireless.

MB> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in Windows
MB> Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the network.

MB> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear that
MB> the folder is enabled for sharing.

MB> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.

MB> Suggestions??

MB> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and re-run
MB> the Network Setup Wizard?

Are you using any firewalls?

What shows up in "My Network Places" in windows explorer?

ah

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Andrew:

On the desktop, there are lots of sub-folders. One says:

Washington on the Smith Computer (XXXXXXX)

Where Washington is the filename I'm sharing and Smith must be the name I
used when I first got the computer and (XXXXXXX) is I guess the ISP identity
for the computer.

I get none of that on the laptop.

HOWEVER, on the desktop I can do My Network Places/Entire Network/Microsoft
Windows Network/Home and it will list The Smith Computer(XXXXXX) and Joe
and Mary's Laptop(XXX).

On my laptop I have that structure but when I click on HOME it says access
denied.

Yes, I am using a firewall, ZoneAlarm.

However, I disabled ZoneAlarm for a few seconds to see if that would make a
difference and it did not.

I then added the IP addresses of the 2 computers to the trusted zone in
ZoneAlarm.

I am still stuck

MB

<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> MB> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
> MB> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a
> Lynksys
> MB> router.
>
> MB> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.
>
> MB> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security
> precautions
> MB> (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).
>
> MB> Now, here is what I want to do.
>
> MB> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this
> folder.
> MB> That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or
> with my
> MB> wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington
>
> MB> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing
> and I
> MB> thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.
>
> MB> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network
> Setup
> MB> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should
> have
> MB> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I
> chose
> MB> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the
> picture in
> MB> the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then
> followed
> MB> instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on the
> Wireless
> MB> and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might not be
> correct!)
>
> MB> I then rebooted the wireless.
>
> MB> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in
> Windows
> MB> Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the
> network.
>
> MB> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does
> appear that
> MB> the folder is enabled for sharing.
>
> MB> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my
> Wireless.
>
> MB> Suggestions??
>
> MB> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and
> re-run
> MB> the Network Setup Wizard?
>
> Are you using any firewalls?
>
> What shows up in "My Network Places" in windows explorer?
>
> ah
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

OK, I'm guessing you're running XP Home. There is a quirk in XP Home that
you cannot share any files that are in the Documents and Settings directory.
This includes both My Documents AND your desktop. There is a complicated
work around, but I wouldn't recommend it.

It's easier to share a folder in your C: drive. Just right click on it and
choose sharing and then follow the wizard.

Tom
"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
>
> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a
> Lynksys router.
>
> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.
>
> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security
> precautions (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).
>
> Now, here is what I want to do.
>
> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this
> folder. That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or
> with my wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington
>
> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and I
> thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.
>
> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture in
> the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then
> followed instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on
> the Wireless and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might
> not be correct!)
>
> I then rebooted the wireless.
>
> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in
> Windows Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the
> network.
>
> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear
> that the folder is enabled for sharing.
>
> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.
>
> Suggestions??
>
> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and
> re-run the Network Setup Wizard?
>
> Mel

Tom:

Yes I am aware of that.

I am sharing (trying to) such a folder and I can't make it work just yet
(hence my post)

Mel
> OK, I'm guessing you're running XP Home. There is a quirk in XP Home that
> you cannot share any files that are in the Documents and Settings
> directory. This includes both My Documents AND your desktop. There is a
> complicated work around, but I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> It's easier to share a folder in your C: drive. Just right click on it
> and choose sharing and then follow the wizard.
>
> Tom
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
>>
>> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a
>> Lynksys router.
>>
>> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.
>>
>> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security
>> precautions (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).
>>
>> Now, here is what I want to do.
>>
>> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this
>> folder. That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or
>> with my wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington
>>
>> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and I
>> thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.
>>
>> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
>> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
>> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
>> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture
>> in the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then
>> followed instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on
>> the Wireless and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might
>> not be correct!)
>>
>> I then rebooted the wireless.
>>
>> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in
>> Windows Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the
>> network.
>>
>> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear
>> that the folder is enabled for sharing.
>>
>> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.
>>
>> Suggestions??
>>
>> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and
>> re-run the Network Setup Wizard?
>>
>> Mel

Just another thought: could the router be the problem?

MB
> Tom:
>
> Yes I am aware of that.
>
> I am sharing (trying to) such a folder and I can't make it work just yet
> (hence my post)
>
> Mel
>> OK, I'm guessing you're running XP Home. There is a quirk in XP Home
>> that you cannot share any files that are in the Documents and Settings
>> directory. This includes both My Documents AND your desktop. There is a
>> complicated work around, but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>> It's easier to share a folder in your C: drive. Just right click on it
>> and choose sharing and then follow the wizard.
>>
>> Tom
>> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
>>>
>>> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a
>>> Lynksys router.
>>>
>>> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.
>>>
>>> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security
>>> precautions (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).
>>>
>>> Now, here is what I want to do.
>>>
>>> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this
>>> folder. That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or
>>> with my wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington
>>>
>>> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and
>>> I thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.
>>>
>>> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
>>> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
>>> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
>>> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture
>>> in the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then
>>> followed instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on
>>> the Wireless and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might
>>> not be correct!)
>>>
>>> I then rebooted the wireless.
>>>
>>> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in
>>> Windows Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the
>>> network.
>>>
>>> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear
>>> that the folder is enabled for sharing.
>>>
>>> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.
>>>
>>> Suggestions??
>>>
>>> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and
>>> re-run the Network Setup Wizard?
>>>
>>> Mel

This is a security restriction built in to XP Home. It's restricted on
purpose.

Search support.microsoft.com Somewhere on there are instructions on sharing
them. It requires changes in Safe Mode

MB_ wrote:

> OK -- somehow I am screwing this up.
>
> I currently have a Dell Dim 2400. It is set up for Broadband with a Lynksys
> router.
>
> I also have a new Dell Inspiron 2200 with a wireless card.
>
> All works perfectly and I've also taken some reasonable security precautions
> (MAC filtering, disabling SSID broadcasting, etc).
>
> Now, here is what I want to do.
>
> I have a FOLDER on my desktop. I would like to be able to share this folder.
> That is, I want to be able to use this folder with my desktop or with my
> wireless. Let's suppose this folder is c:\george\washington
>
> So, now I am attempting to join the wonderful world of file sharing and I
> thought I did it correctly, but maybe not.
>
> Firstly, I turned on my desktop and then the laptop. I ran Network Setup
> Wizard on my desktop. When I ran thru the steps, perhaps I should have
> chosen that this computer hooks up directly to the internet. But I chose
> that it hooks up to the internet via a residential gateway (the picture in
> the example seemed closer to what I had, but I'm not sure). I then followed
> instructions and rebooted the desktop. I then ran the Wizard on the Wireless
> and I chose the same thing. (I suspect these choices might not be correct!)
>
> I then rebooted the wireless.
>
> I then got on the desktop, right clicked the aforementioned file in Windows
> Explorer and designated it to be shared by all computers on the network.
>
> Well, when I check on the desktop under Windows Explorer it does appear that
> the folder is enabled for sharing.
>
> But I cannot find that shared folder anywhere when I use my Wireless.
>
> Suggestions??
>
> Also, if I have to change some setting, do I just start all over and re-run
> the Network Setup Wizard?
>
> Mel

Mel, could you clarify something: are you attempting to share the
directory over your local network (between 2 computers behind the same
router) or across the interner?

I'm going to assume behind the same router (although both are possible).
Can you "see" the host (the computer sharing the directory) from the
client? The easiest check is (from the client) to go to a DOS prompt
(Start -> cmd [ok]) and type: ping $hostname (where $hostname is the
name of the host sharing the directory). If you can see it, ping will
return a time in milliseconds. If you can't see the host by its
hostname, try pinging its IP address (to determine the address, on the
host in the DOS prompt run ipconfig). If you can't see the IP chances
are it's a firewall problem; if you can, try to "find" the host from the
client (Start -> Search -> For Files or Folders -> Computer or People).
Now search the hostname (if you could ping it) or the IP Address. You
should be able to figure it out from here.

Another thought I have is are you certain you're on your wireless
network (and not your neighbors)? This may seem like a stupid question,
but I can literally detect 39 wireless networks (I live in a complex
when I'm at school) from my couch and if I used the default settings for
my router I'd probably end up on my neighbor's network since it may have
the same SSID. I'd recommend setting a unique SSID for multiple
reasons; but at the very least, do it so you don't end on your neigbors
network withoud knowing it.

SURPRISE SURPRISE.
I gave up last night.

Today I booted up and it was there and works perfectly.

Why the time lag between setting up the network and having it show up on my
wireless??

Strange!!
Apparently, I did do it right.

Mel