Solved

USB Device Can Perform Faster?

Tags:
  • USB
  • Devices
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 8, 2012 12:25:38 PM

Hi there, I;m new to the forums (this being my first post) and hoping you can help me. So please bear with me, I've written quite abit in detail about my question (hehe, that's an understatement) and I appreciate your patience as I'm not much of a techie.
I have an Acer Aspire 5542-5462 laptop (◦CPU/Ram: 2.2 GHz / 3838 MB) w/ Windows 7 and the product details indicates I have four 2.0 USB ports (2 on the right side, 2 on the left). Today I connected my 1TB external "SimpleDrive" hard drive in order to do a backup which I'd done previously but my last one was afew months ago and this time got the same "This Device Can Perform Faster - Your USB Mass Storage Device can perform faster if plugged into a hi-speed port" message as others have. This is the first time I've received this message.
Below that is a window with the heading "The hubs shown in BOLD type have free ports that can support the HI-SPEED USB device." and in the window it shows 2 separate "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" and under each it shows a sub-heading "USB Root Hub #6 ports# in BOLD TYPE. Under the 1st USB Root Hub it reflects all 6 as being "Unused Port" and under the 2nd USB Root Hub it reflects all but the 5th of 6 as being "Unused Port" and the 5th as "USB Composite Device".
I went online to find out about the USB "This Device Can Perform Faster" message and what it meant, along with solutions. I've tried the following:

-Went into the "Device Manager" window and the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" sub-menu which reflects, in order, 2 "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", 4 "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller", 2 "USB Composite Device", 1 "USB Mass Storage Device" and finally 6 "USB Root Hub".
Per online instructions I right-clicked on each one and used the "Update Driver Software" #via a "Search online for updates" option# and received a "The best driver software for your device is already installed; Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date" for each and every one.
-Secondly per online suggestions I checked each USB Root Hub and all reflected as running at "full-speed" instead of the optimum "hi-speed" #which was indicated as to what should be showing if using a true 2.0 USB port#.
So basically what I'm asking is if I have the current drivers already installed and my laptop's 4 USB ports are all supposed to support 2.0, then why aren't those USB Root Hubs running at HI-SPEED instead of the slower full-speed? Is there something I've missed? Or is there nothing wrong at all? My previous backups have taken upwards of 12+ hours to complete and I want to make sure that I'm using the fastest means possible. Thanks very much in advance for any help! Best regards,

More about : usb device perform faster

October 8, 2012 12:45:57 PM

Hi buddy, has your laptop done any updates recently?

I had the same thing with chipset drivers and bios updates before.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:32:04 PM

Open disk manager and connect the 1TB external "SimpleDrive" delete the driver entry that appears remove the 1TB external "SimpleDrive" and reconnect. This should renew the driver for your device.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 5:07:35 PM

I'd wager that the external drive is a USB 3.0 drive. If so then the message is perfectly normal.
November 27, 2012 6:21:32 AM

Yes the problem is solved as the "simpledrive" is a USB 3.0 drive.My laptop does not have a USB 3.0 port so the message is normal.
m
l
November 27, 2012 6:22:03 AM

Best answer selected by hayden11.
m
l
September 19, 2013 3:13:29 AM

da22 said:

Hey da22, I installed Slimdrivers recently and updated most of my drivers. Now im getting that message "This device can perform faster if connected to a super speed usb 3.0 port". It happend immediately after i updated the drivers. Any help pls?
m
l
September 19, 2013 3:18:05 AM

da22 said:

Hey da22, I installed Slimdrivers recently and updated most of my drivers. Now im getting that message "This device can perform faster if connected to a super speed usb 3.0 port". It happend immediately after i updated the drivers. Any help pls?
m
l
!