Brother MFC Printer And Scanning

I have a Brother MFC-6800. When I scan a document I can change the settings
(DPI, size, etc). But the next time I attempt to do a scan the defaults
always revert back to the original settings instead of the last settings I
chose.

According to Brother

"This is a specification of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system.
The Brother Windows XP scanner driver uses the Microsoft WIA's common user
interface for scanning.

At present Microsoft does not have a solution for this problem. "

Does anybody know whether this is an accurate statement? It would seem to
me to be a very odd oversight

Thanks

Richard

"Richard Speiss" <rspeiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Brother MFC-6800. When I scan a document I can change the
>settings (DPI, size, etc). But the next time I attempt to do a scan the
>defaults always revert back to the original settings instead of the last
>settings I chose.
>
> According to Brother
>
> "This is a specification of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system.
> The Brother Windows XP scanner driver uses the Microsoft WIA's common user
> interface for scanning.
>
> At present Microsoft does not have a solution for this problem. "
>
> Does anybody know whether this is an accurate statement? It would seem to
> me to be a very odd oversight
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

If Brother didn't supply its own scanner driver, then you're relying on the
generic Windows drivers. I suppose that in order for them to be compatible
with a wide variety of units, they made them as simple as possible, and
that's what you're stuck with.

On the other hand, I bought an incredibly cheap Canon scanner, and it has
its own drivers and software, and I can set a variety of custom scanning
options and they stick until I change them.

I don't know about the 6800, but we use 4800's here at my work all the time
and they have a special control panel you need to install to do anything
worthwhile with the scanner. If you only installed the driver and not the
control panel you can't do much. Check Brother's website for software
updates.

matt