User Account

August 1, 2005 12:46:10 PM

Hi All,
Please can anyone help,
In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin Privileges
to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen again
so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back to
how is was.
I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do this but
I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.

Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security

Regards tonyq

--

More about : user account

August 1, 2005 12:58:12 PM

Only an Admin account can change the settings from a restricted to an
admin, so you'd have to log on as another account that has admin rights, or
use the administrator account. If the administrator account is not avialable
to log in as on the welcome screen boot into safe mode and it will be there,
and then you can change the other account back.

"tonyq" wrote:

> Hi All,
> Please can anyone help,
> In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin Privileges
> to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
> and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
> another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen again
> so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back to
> how is was.
> I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do this but
> I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.
>
> Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security
>
> Regards tonyq

August 2, 2005 1:38:28 AM

Login as built-in Administrator (from Safe Mode), or an admin-equivalent
account in Normal mode, and then change the "subject" account type back to
Administrator level.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"tonyq" <tonyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> Please can anyone help,
> In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin
> Privileges
> to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
> and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
> another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen
> again
> so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back
> how is was.
> I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do
> this but
> I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.
>
> Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security
>
> Regards tonyq

August 2, 2005 1:38:29 AM

Hi
thanks for your replys
I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
--
Regards tonyq

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Login as built-in Administrator (from Safe Mode), or an admin-equivalent
> account in Normal mode, and then change the "subject" account type back to
> Administrator level.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "tonyq" <tonyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > Please can anyone help,
> > In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin
> > Privileges
> > to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
> > and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
> > another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen
> > again
> > so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back
> > how is was.
> > I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do
> > this but
> > I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.
> >
> > Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security
> >
> > Regards tonyq
> >
> > --

August 2, 2005 1:38:30 AM

tonyq wrote:

> Hi
> thanks for your replys
> I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
> screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
> see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise

Did you login to the built in Administrator account

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,
Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
the computer.
I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
--
Regards tonyq

"Rock" wrote:

> tonyq wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > thanks for your replys
> > I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
> > screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
> > see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
>
> Did you login to the built in Administrator account
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:21:04 PM

Hi
seeing as I am unable to post a screenshot,this is what options there use to
be when I opened User Accounts:
UNDER: PICK A TASK
Change an Account
Create a New Account
Change the way users log on or off

Now what I get is:

UNDER: PICK A TASK
Create a Password
Change my Picture
Change my Net.Passport
--
Regards tonyq

"tonyq" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
> I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
> password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
> built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
> accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
> the computer.
> I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
> accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
> I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
> Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
> --
> Regards tonyq
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
> > tonyq wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > thanks for your replys
> > > I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
> > > screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
> > > see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
> >
> > Did you login to the built in Administrator account
> >
> > --
> > Rock
> > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:08:05 AM

Hi all,
thank you for all your help,I am now back to where I was before I changed
user account to
" Limited". Booted up in safe mode again and put the name "Administrator"
in the name line as suggested . I had been putting the name which the account
had been set up for eg "Richard" thinking this is what you meant. Silly Me.
Thanks again
Regards tonyq

"tonyq" wrote:

> Hi
> seeing as I am unable to post a screenshot,this is what options there use to
> be when I opened User Accounts:
> UNDER: PICK A TASK
> Change an Account
> Create a New Account
> Change the way users log on or off
>
> Now what I get is:
>
> UNDER: PICK A TASK
> Create a Password
> Change my Picture
> Change my Net.Passport
> --
> Regards tonyq
>

> "tonyq" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
> > I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
> > password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
> > built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
> > accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
> > the computer.
> > I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
> > accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
> > I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
> > Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
> > --
> > Regards tonyq

> > > Did you login to the built in Administrator account
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rock
> > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 3, 2005 11:04:49 AM

tonyq wrote:

> Hi all,
> thank you for all your help,I am now back to where I was before I changed
> user account to
> " Limited". Booted up in safe mode again and put the name "Administrator"
> in the name line as suggested . I had been putting the name which the account
> had been set up for eg "Richard" thinking this is what you meant. Silly Me.
> Thanks again
> Regards tonyq
>

> "tonyq" wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>seeing as I am unable to post a screenshot,this is what options there use to
>>be when I opened User Accounts:
>>UNDER: PICK A TASK
>>Change an Account
>>Create a New Account
>>Change the way users log on or off
>>
>>Now what I get is:
>>
>>UNDER: PICK A TASK
>>Create a Password
>>Change my Picture
>>Change my Net.Passport
>>--
>>Regards tonyq
>>

>>"tonyq" wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
>>>I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
>>>password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
>>>built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
>>>accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
>>>the computer.
>>>I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
>>>accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
>>>I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
>>>Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
>>>--
>>>Regards tonyq

Ok glad you got it fixed. As you now know the built in administrator
account is named "Administrator".

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User