User Account

Hi All,
Please can anyone help,
In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin Privileges
to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen again
so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back to
how is was.
I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do this but
I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.

Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security

Regards tonyq

More about user account

    Only an Admin account can change the settings from a restricted to an
    admin, so you'd have to log on as another account that has admin rights, or
    use the administrator account. If the administrator account is not avialable
    to log in as on the welcome screen boot into safe mode and it will be there,
    and then you can change the other account back.

    "tonyq" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Please can anyone help,
    > In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin Privileges
    > to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
    > and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
    > another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen again
    > so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back to
    > how is was.
    > I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do this but
    > I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.
    >
    > Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security
    >
    > Regards tonyq

    Login as built-in Administrator (from Safe Mode), or an admin-equivalent
    account in Normal mode, and then change the "subject" account type back to
    Administrator level.

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "tonyq" <tonyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > Please can anyone help,
    > In� User Accounts� I changed one of the accounts that had Admin
    > Privileges
    > to Limited Privileges (was having problems getting Microsoft Updates Page)
    > and now find that I am unable to view the screen where you can change to
    > another account. Please can anyone tell me how I can view this screen
    > again
    > so as to be able to change to another account, or am I able to revert back
    > how is was.
    > I thought I would be able to use System Restore or “Go Back� to do
    > this but
    > I have lost the right to be able to do this with the change.
    >
    > Running Windows XP Home with SP2.( with updates) Norton Internet Security
    >
    > Regards tonyq

    Hi
    thanks for your replys
    I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
    screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
    see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
    --
    Regards tonyq

    tonyq wrote:

    > Hi
    > thanks for your replys
    > I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
    > screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
    > see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise

    Did you login to the built in Administrator account

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi,
    Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
    I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
    password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
    built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
    accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
    the computer.
    I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
    accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
    I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
    Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
    --
    Regards tonyq

    "Rock" wrote:

    > tonyq wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > thanks for your replys
    > > I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
    > > screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
    > > see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
    >
    > Did you login to the built in Administrator account
    >
    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi
    seeing as I am unable to post a screenshot,this is what options there use to
    be when I opened User Accounts:
    UNDER: PICK A TASK
    Change an Account
    Create a New Account
    Change the way users log on or off

    Now what I get is:

    UNDER: PICK A TASK
    Create a Password
    Change my Picture
    Change my Net.Passport
    --
    Regards tonyq

    "tonyq" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
    > I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
    > password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
    > built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
    > accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
    > the computer.
    > I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
    > accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
    > I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
    > Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
    > --
    > Regards tonyq
    >

    > "Rock" wrote:
    >
    > > tonyq wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > thanks for your replys
    > > > I booted up in safe mode went to user accounts in control panel got the same
    > > > screen as before, showing the one user account with limited privs,could not
    > > > see option to change the account back to admin privs. Please advise
    > >
    > > Did you login to the built in Administrator account
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rock
    > > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi all,
    thank you for all your help,I am now back to where I was before I changed
    user account to
    " Limited". Booted up in safe mode again and put the name "Administrator"
    in the name line as suggested . I had been putting the name which the account
    had been set up for eg "Richard" thinking this is what you meant. Silly Me.
    Thanks again
    Regards tonyq

    tonyq wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > thank you for all your help,I am now back to where I was before I changed
    > user account to
    > " Limited". Booted up in safe mode again and put the name "Administrator"
    > in the name line as suggested . I had been putting the name which the account
    > had been set up for eg "Richard" thinking this is what you meant. Silly Me.
    > Thanks again
    > Regards tonyq
    >

    > "tonyq" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>seeing as I am unable to post a screenshot,this is what options there use to
    >>be when I opened User Accounts:
    >>UNDER: PICK A TASK
    >>Change an Account
    >>Create a New Account
    >>Change the way users log on or off
    >>
    >>Now what I get is:
    >>
    >>UNDER: PICK A TASK
    >>Create a Password
    >>Change my Picture
    >>Change my Net.Passport
    >>--
    >>Regards tonyq
    >>

    >>"tonyq" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>Sorry but I am not sure what you mean by, built in Administer accout, before
    >>>I changed one of the accounts there were three user accounts, none set with a
    >>>password ,with not using a password does this mean that I was using the
    >>>built in Administer account all the time? Up till I changed one of the
    >>>accounts (bad move)to limited, no one ever used to change accounts to go on
    >>>the computer.
    >>>I have pasted a screenshot of what I see on screen when I now go into user
    >>>accounts, safe mode or normal start up.
    >>>I hope this makes some kind of sense to you.
    >>>Sorry seems I am unable to paste the sceenshot in this message.
    >>>--
    >>>Regards tonyq

    Ok glad you got it fixed. As you now know the built in administrator
    account is named "Administrator".

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User