Logon screen after windows update?

August 1, 2005 7:54:20 PM

I just did a windows update. One of the items was this .net thing. Now, when I
start my pc, I'm required to click my username to logon. Before, it just went
to the Windows desktop. How do I change it back to the way it was?

Thanks,

Tommy Flynn
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:54:21 PM

Revisit the Windows Update web site and download the
critical update for .NET Framework.

The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP
after you install the .NET Framework 1.1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827072

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Tommy Flynn" wrote:

| I just did a windows update. One of the items was this .net thing. Now, when I
| start my pc, I'm required to click my username to logon. Before, it just went
| to the Windows desktop. How do I change it back to the way it was?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Tommy Flynn
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:34:11 AM

Hi Tommy,

See "control userpasswords2" section in this article:

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231

Also, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Tommy Flynn" <noreply@nodomain.com> wrote in message
>I just did a windows update. One of the items was this .net thing. Now,
>when I
> start my pc, I'm required to click my username to logon. Before, it just
> went
> to the Windows desktop. How do I change it back to the way it was?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tommy Flynn
August 2, 2005 1:34:12 AM

Thanks. I tried several of these solutions. At one point, my pc just locked up
when I restarted. Since I'm the only user of this pc, I decided that I didn't
need .Net Framework, so I uninstalled it. This actually went ok but it still
requires me to click on my username at startup even without .net. Under User
Accounts there is only me an a Guest Account which is turned off. How can I
change it back to going straight to my desktop at startup?

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:34:11 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Tommy,
>
>See "control userpasswords2" section in this article:
>
>How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315231
>
>Also, see:
>
>The Welcome to Windows screen appears when you start Windows XP after you
>install the .NET Framework 1.1:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:15:26 AM

The Control Userpasswords2 method works very well. Please try it again. The
delay may occur if incorrect username or password is entered when using the
Userpasswords2 dialog.

--

!