Hello, I'm running under Windows XP and I'm having the following
problem. The "alt+tab" hot key on my computer's keyboard is not
working. Any idea please ?

Thank You

Ovide

Did you install the XP Powertoys?If that be the case try removing just
the ALT-TAB powertoy and see if that makes any difference.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

ovide.parravicini@pierre-fabre.com wrote:
> Hello, I'm running under Windows XP and I'm having the following
> problem. The "alt+tab" hot key on my computer's keyboard is not
> working. Any idea please ?
>
> Thank You
>
> Ovide

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

I have the same problem and i am not using powertoys!

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Did you install the XP Powertoys?If that be the case try removing just
> the ALT-TAB powertoy and see if that makes any difference.
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> ovide.parravicini@pierre-fabre.com wrote:
> > Hello, I'm running under Windows XP and I'm having the following
> > problem. The "alt+tab" hot key on my computer's keyboard is not
> > working. Any idea please ?
> >
> > Thank You
> >
> > Ovide

Alias

I just tried it and it works fine. I have XP Pro SP2

Alias

"buck" <buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have the same problem and i am not using powertoys!
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> Did you install the XP Powertoys?If that be the case try removing just
>> the ALT-TAB powertoy and see if that makes any difference.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> ovide.parravicini@pierre-fabre.com wrote:
>> > Hello, I'm running under Windows XP and I'm having the following
>> > problem. The "alt+tab" hot key on my computer's keyboard is not
>> > working. Any idea please ?
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>> > Ovide

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

It does not do it always.Sometimes you will have the same icon 3-4 times and
you have to do alt-tab 3-4 time to get back where you were :-(

"Alias" wrote:

> I just tried it and it works fine. I have XP Pro SP2
>
> Alias
>
> "buck" <buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I have the same problem and i am not using powertoys!
> >
> > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you install the XP Powertoys?If that be the case try removing just
> >> the ALT-TAB powertoy and see if that makes any difference.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> ssg MS-MVP

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:35:07 -0700, "buck"
<buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It does not do it always.Sometimes you will have the same icon 3-4 times and
>you have to do alt-tab 3-4 time to get back where you were :-(

That's because you have several instances of the same program open.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

No I have just one instance of the program but 4 icons on the alt-tab!

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:35:07 -0700, "buck"
> <buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >It does not do it always.Sometimes you will have the same icon 3-4 times and
> >you have to do alt-tab 3-4 time to get back where you were :-(
>
> That's because you have several instances of the same program open.

> http://OakRoadSystems.com
> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

kelly

Depends....

Go to Start/Run and type in msconfig. Click the Startup tab and uncheck
startup item taskswitch if it is present (if not, ignore the next sentence).
After restarting your computer, Windows reverts back to the classic task
switcher.

Either way: To activate manually: Modify these registry values:
Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

"CoolSwitch"
"CoolSwitchColumns"
"CoolSwitchRows"

....to reflect how many columns and rows, respectively, you want to appear in
the Alt+Tab cool switch display. That might help.

Alt-Tab Replacement- With this PowerToy, in addition to seeing the icon of
the application window you are switching to, you will also see a preview of
the page. This helps particularly when multiple sessions of an application
are open.

Line 237 (right hand side): http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP

"buck" <buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem and i am not using powertoys!
>
> "S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> Did you install the XP Powertoys?If that be the case try removing just
>> the ALT-TAB powertoy and see if that makes any difference.
>>
>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> ovide.parravicini@pierre-fabre.com wrote:
>> > Hello, I'm running under Windows XP and I'm having the following
>> > problem. The "alt+tab" hot key on my computer's keyboard is not
>> > working. Any idea please ?
>> >
>> > Thank You
>> >
>> > Ovide

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Great ! I have the pre-sp2 alt-tab back and its working much better.
You are wonderful !!! Its saving me lots of keystrokes.
Thanks....

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:11:52 -0500, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

>Line 237 (right hand side): http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Kelly,

Just a thought, but why not number both sides? Or you could have
237A and 237B. It would be a lot shorter than "237 right hand side"
for you and all the people who refer to them.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:06:02 -0700, "buck"
<buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Great ! I have the pre-sp2 alt-tab back and its working much better.

I still don't understand what you mean by "pre-SP2 Alt-Tab". I saw
no change in function of Alt-Tab with SP2. Could you satisfy my
curiosity, please, and say what the nature of the change was for
you?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
-- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Buck

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

The window on the alt-tab is bigger in size than it was before sp2.It has
more details and a preview of the task eg you will see the word document
itself when you do alt-tab.
I guess it take more memory and it does not work properly when you have lots
(4-5) of windows opened.

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 06:06:02 -0700, "buck"
> <buck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Great ! I have the pre-sp2 alt-tab back and its working much better.
>
> I still don't understand what you mean by "pre-SP2 Alt-Tab". I saw
> no change in function of Alt-Tab with SP2. Could you satisfy my
> curiosity, please, and say what the nature of the change was for
> you?

> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
> "My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
> -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

buck wrote on Thu, 25 Aug 2005:

>The window on the alt-tab is bigger in size than it was before sp2.It has
>more details and a preview of the task eg you will see the word document
>itself when you do alt-tab.

I don't know what you were using, but that is not what I see here, using
SP2. I opened a Word doc especially to check: I see an icon of a
document with the Word "W" imposed on it, and the name of the document
in a box below all the running program icons.

The other icons work the same way as I alt-tab through them, showing the
title of the current task in the box. Sounds to me like you had some
third-party "improvement" loaded.

--
Nightowl

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 00:49:39 +0100, Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]>
wrote:

>buck wrote on Thu, 25 Aug 2005:
>
>>The window on the alt-tab is bigger in size than it was before sp2.It has
>>more details and a preview of the task eg you will see the word document
>>itself when you do alt-tab.
>
>I don't know what you were using, but that is not what I see here, using
>SP2. I opened a Word doc especially to check: I see an icon of a
>document with the Word "W" imposed on it, and the name of the document
>in a box below all the running program icons.
>
>The other icons work the same way as I alt-tab through them, showing the
>title of the current task in the box. Sounds to me like you had some
>third-party "improvement" loaded.

Ditto -- this is why I was confused. I did not understand the "SP2"
reference/blame at all. (Thanks for the explanation, Buck.)

Something good for me came out of this whole discussion, though. I
downloaded MS's Alt-Tab power toy and installed it. I like it a tiny
it better than the standard Alt-Tab display.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
"My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."