Drive can read video/music discs but can't read data discs

My 3-year-old HP Pavilion ze1230 laptop has no problem playing
commercial video DVDs and audio CDs. These discs load quickly and
smoothly.

But the drive no longer reads data discs at all. When I load a data CD,
the drive rattles and clanks for a long time and finally gives up. The
drive used to read data discs fine, but at some point that stopped
working.

I find it puzzling that the drive can read video and music DVDs and CDs
but cannot read data discs. Have you ever encountered this symptom
before and know whether there's a fix? I've looked for new drivers but
haven't found any that address this problem.

Thanks,
- Bob

I was once told by a good friend who sells laptops online
(Onlinelaptops.com) that the DVD ROM has separate channel for Data and
another one for DVD. I just replaced a DVD on a Gateway laptop a few
weeks ago with the same problem.

Dewaine