Audigy or on board audio?

MJGoodson

Distinguished
May 22, 2005
I just got an ASUS AV8 mobo and I'm wondering if the on board audio is on par with my Audigy 1. Does the Audigy really pick up that much of the audio workload or has on board technology made it obsolete?

M.

Try testing them out since you have both at your disposal and report back your findings, that would be of more interest fact wise than someone telling you what they think.

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW

jubei_woop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
onboard audio is pretty good for standard free sound. but it will never beat a standalone card. even the new soundblaster live is better and its only £10. if you plan on recording, you cant really use the onboard sound as it just has poor signal to noise ratio.

magnet

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2005
Hi there, I recently purchased the x-Fi Platinum and I have written a mini review at this Creative x-fi forum: http://www.productionforums.com/index.php?f=70

concluding in short, its a nice card

I would go for a creative x-fi which are better and newer than the old audigy's. They have completely rebuilt this from scratch and makes the audigy old technology. I actually read the review on this site that made me first interested.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was using onboard for battlefield2, lots of errors in the sound (eg, while walking about on foot, i had the constant noise of all the vehicles in the map right behind me the whole time), bought a X-Fi extreme music & it all fixed (game has an X-Fi audio mode, yay)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

margag_

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2005
had same dilema had a sb live and realtek highdef audio onboard
the onboard was picking a lot of noise from the other components of the board and had to push speaker level high and master volume low to be nice. when recording it was very bad.
with the sb live none of these problems

i did go for the sb option.

P4 530 asus p5gd1 O/C 3.3ghz
Dual Channel 1gb DDR400 3-3-3-8
Msi NX6600le MOD 8x1,3vp 375/533
and pushing on...-