Some of My Picture Files Are in Blue Font

August 1, 2005 1:01:02 PM

I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list my
picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me, and
what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this. Thank
you in advance for your help.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:14:02 PM

Blue font on filenames means that they are compressed. Right click on the
file> properties > advanced > you will be able to see if Compress contents
to save disk space is checked or not.

"Frank" wrote:

> I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
> that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
> with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list my
> picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
> regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
> this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me, and
> what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this. Thank
> you in advance for your help.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:27:31 PM

Hi Frank,

It just means they are compressed - they will continue to work fine in this
state. There is no need for concern.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
> that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
> with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list
> my
> picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
> regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
> this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me,
> and
> what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this.
> Thank
> you in advance for your help.
August 1, 2005 4:30:05 PM

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
>that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
>with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list my
>picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
>regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
>this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me, and
>what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this. Thank
>you in advance for your help.

Blue type means that the file or folder is compressed. It takes less
space that way, but is perfectly accessible. It doesn't need to be
"corrected".

If you really, really, don't like that, just right-click it, choose
"Properties". Click the "Advanced..." button on the "General" tab. Set
the "Compress contents to save disk space" attribute as you like.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Thank you for the reply Tim (actually thanks to everyone who replied). I
realize I have no cause for concern, and you have instructed me how to
reinstate the file back to not compressed, but I guess my question is - How
did these particular files get that way? As I mentioned in my initial post -
it's not all the JPG files, just some of them. What did I do to cause those
files to compress?

"Tim Slattery" wrote:

> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
> >that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
> >with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list my
> >picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
> >regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
> >this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me, and
> >what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this. Thank
> >you in advance for your help.
>
> Blue type means that the file or folder is compressed. It takes less
> space that way, but is perfectly accessible. It doesn't need to be
> "corrected".
>
> If you really, really, don't like that, just right-click it, choose
> "Properties". Click the "Advanced..." button on the "General" tab. Set
> the "Compress contents to save disk space" attribute as you like.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:03:21 PM

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for the reply Tim (actually thanks to everyone who replied). I
>realize I have no cause for concern, and you have instructed me how to
>reinstate the file back to not compressed, but I guess my question is - How
>did these particular files get that way? As I mentioned in my initial post -
>it's not all the JPG files, just some of them. What did I do to cause those
>files to compress?

I think that XP will automatically compress seldom used files and
folders to conserve disk space.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Was "Disk Cleanup" run on the drive perhaps?

Frank wrote:

> Thank you for the reply Tim (actually thanks to everyone who replied). I
> realize I have no cause for concern, and you have instructed me how to
> reinstate the file back to not compressed, but I guess my question is - How
> did these particular files get that way? As I mentioned in my initial post -
> it's not all the JPG files, just some of them. What did I do to cause those
> files to compress?
>
> "Tim Slattery" wrote:
>

>>"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
>>>that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
>>>with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list my
>>>picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
>>>regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
>>>this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me, and
>>>what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this. Thank
>>>you in advance for your help.
>>
>>Blue type means that the file or folder is compressed. It takes less
>>space that way, but is perfectly accessible. It doesn't need to be
>>"corrected".
>>
>>If you really, really, don't like that, just right-click it, choose
>>"Properties". Click the "Advanced..." button on the "General" tab. Set
>>the "Compress contents to save disk space" attribute as you like.
>>
>>--
>>Tim Slattery
>>MS MVP(DTS)
>>Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 9:17:00 PM

Hi

The files in blue are compressed.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Professional. I have digital picture files (mostly JPG)
> that reside on PCs Hard drive. I use the Dell Paint Shop to edit and work
> with my photos. Within the past few months I have noticed that when I list
> my
> picture files under a specific folder, some of the file names are in the
> regular black font and others are now in the blue font. i have no idea why
> this is or what is happening. I am hoping someone can explain this to me,
> and
> what I did to create this issue. Also, how I go about correcting this.
> Thank
> you in advance for your help.
August 2, 2005 7:28:04 AM

Yes, absolutely. I run "Disk Cleanup" probably 2 or 3 times per week. Is that
not a good thing to do? Also - why is this happening to only ceratin JPG
files and not all of them. What is so different about the files that are
getting compressed. They all come from the same Digital Camera and all get
accessed about the same amount of time.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Was "Disk Cleanup" run on the drive perhaps?
>
> Frank wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the reply Tim (actually thanks to everyone who replied). I
> > realize I have no cause for concern, and you have instructed me how to
> > reinstate the file back to not compressed, but I guess my question is - How
> > did these particular files get that way? As I mentioned in my initial post -
> > it's not all the JPG files, just some of them. What did I do to cause those
> > files to compress?

> >>Blue type means that the file or folder is compressed. It takes less
> >>space that way, but is perfectly accessible. It doesn't need to be
> >>"corrected".
> >>
> >>If you really, really, don't like that, just right-click it, choose
> >>"Properties". Click the "Advanced..." button on the "General" tab. Set
> >>the "Compress contents to save disk space" attribute as you like.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Tim Slattery
> >>MS MVP(DTS)
> >>Slattery_T@bls.gov

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:34:20 PM

Look at the settings next time you run it and make sure you "uncheck"
compress old files.

Frank wrote:

> Yes, absolutely. I run "Disk Cleanup" probably 2 or 3 times per week. Is that
> not a good thing to do? Also - why is this happening to only ceratin JPG
> files and not all of them. What is so different about the files that are
> getting compressed. They all come from the same Digital Camera and all get
> accessed about the same amount of time.
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Was "Disk Cleanup" run on the drive perhaps?
>>
>>Frank wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you for the reply Tim (actually thanks to everyone who replied). I
>>>realize I have no cause for concern, and you have instructed me how to
>>>reinstate the file back to not compressed, but I guess my question is - How
>>>did these particular files get that way? As I mentioned in my initial post -
>>>it's not all the JPG files, just some of them. What did I do to cause those
>>>files to compress?

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:58:00 AM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:28:04 -0700, "Frank"

>Yes, absolutely. I run "Disk Cleanup" probably 2 or 3 times per week. Is that
>not a good thing to do? Also - why is this happening to only ceratin JPG
>files and not all of them. What is so different about the files that are
>getting compressed. They all come from the same Digital Camera and all get
>accessed about the same amount of time.

JPEG are already lossily compressed, so all "compressing" them will do
is increase the processing overhead in managing them.

Modems have been smart enough not to try to compress the
uncompressible since V.42bis, which was long, long ago. Whether NTFS
is equally smart, and just "fakes" the compressed state, or really is
dumb enough to compress compressed files, is another matter.

The only thing I can think of, is if some pics from the camera have
..JPG extension but are in fact uncompressed, and the NTFS compression
thing is kicking in only for these?

Sucess-proof your business! Tip #37
When given an NDA to sign, post it on your web site
!