kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I purchased Windows XP Home Edition (OEM), great price.
However I installed it on my laptop to eliminate the 3 recovery disks that I was forced to use before. So when I installed it on my new desktop with oem hard drive I then tried to activate it, but the operator said you can only activate it once, unlike Windows 98, 2000...
My question is how can I get around this without being locked out after so many reboots?

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Buy a second copy.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Thats a tough situation that you are in. First if its OEM and you purchased it legit then Microsoft aint goin to help you. Personally I wouldnt even deal with it. Are you able to get past activation s screen, can you choose to activate later? Probally not, but if you are you can try Reset3 (been along time since Ive mentioned that, or even tried something like that for Windows XP. Whats the build of XP maybe there is something better out there???) Was it a trial version you got? Regardless. If its OEM and you can only activate it once then I think your screwed. Goto your local comp store and buy a retail copy of XP or do what everyone else does and DL it.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jes12345 on 08/10/02 09:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
get a pirated copy of XP... i mean [-peep-] you already paid for it once, so [-peep-] the greedy bastards at MS and just intall Windows XP PE (Pirated Edition) :eek:)

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

eden

Champion
Are you saying that if I had one computer ONLY, and formatted and reinstalled, I would also have to repurchase???
I mean I only and will only use my WinXP OEM Home CD to myself to this comp only, would never let anyone borrow it!

--
You are about to witness crazy, mindless, eye-gagging, naive programming, welcome to FOX!

eden

Champion
IIRC I have to call MS huh?
That's ok if I don't have to pay for a new copy like it seems with this guy here.

--
Is the opportunity to earn money by working, free?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
ROFLMAO you paid for windows xp!!! lol omg why the hell did you pay for it when you could get it for free?! search imesh or kazaa

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
You are right! He is a terrible person for being honest. Perhaps we should turn him in!

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
roflmao honesty should be encouraged sheesh this is a place to be free with words, besides I could erase the evidence sooooo easily lol... the crime is paying for a microsoft product!

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Turn him in? Honestly now.

911: "Orange County Emergency Services can I help you"
Lamo: "Yea someone on the internet admitted to pirating MS windows and want to report it"
911: "Ummmmm okay.. what does that mean? Because I overheard someone say the county was being fined for that exact same thing" LOL
Lamo: "click"

Lets not be childish ppl. Some ppl buy XP, some get it with their computer OEM and some download it for free. No reason act 3 and threaten to "tell", as if that'd do anything anyhow! I haven't paid for Windows since 3.1. I got 95 OEM, 98 and 98SE came with new systems. Millenium was my first OS to download, then came 2000 and now XP. I haven't seen Microsoft hurt financially from it, as I doubt we ever will :/ Alot of people double buy OSes. For instance they had an old 95 machine and bought ME as an upgrade and then a few months later decide to buy a new machine and get another copy of ME. Good old Microsoft got paid twice by the same person for Windows. I don't feel very sorry for Bill Gates, he has more money then I could ever spend and donate.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 08/14/02 05:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Well I did it!!!
I went to one of those greatttt!!!! file share sites, I won't mention the name because Bill himself is probably gonna read this hehe...got a registration crack program and it worked, took a little bit of hunting, got some bogas stuff at first but kept at it and succeeded... AHHH the internet is a great place to be. Thanks to all for the advise and good laugh, the APB is out....

<font color=red><b>Wealllovedisassemblingthingstoseehowitworks,butwhowantstoputitbacktogetheragain?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
congratulations! Welcome, you are one of us now... lol sounds like a cult! and bill if you are reading this [-peep-] you, you son of a bitch! God damn you to hell! and steve jobs if you are reading this the same applies! only much much worse! -The macintosh principal: design a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool would use! any way gratz man I am proud of you, fight the system!

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I thought Microsoft specifically said that you can install one copy of XP on your desktop and on your laptop. It was way back when people were first complaining about being forced to register every time you had to format, or if you replace more than 5 pieces of hardware or something.

Doesn't matter much to me, registering my copy is "Optional" :)

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
I believe that only applies to the retail version, the oem version is only good for a onetime activation (bunch of crap really) no matter, now I can use it as much as I want with my crack program...

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I bought the OEM, and I activated it a half dozen times. Granted it was the same hardware, but I decided to put it on another computer <b>instead</b>, and yeah I had to call Microsoft, but it was no problem. Maybe a month later, I don't know what I did, if I did anything, but on the task bar it said I had so many days to activate it. I thought I could do it on line now with no trouble, but nope had to call again. The guy I was talking to, we had a little trouble understanding each other. I think he wanted to ask me a few more question, but got short and just gave me some numbers.

So I'm not sure why some of you are saying you can only activate the OEM OS once.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
You can Only activate it (Windows XP OEM) against one system. I too called and spoke with an activation technician, and she told me the oem version of xp is only good for installation on one system. Ya your right, you can install it as many times as you like but only against the system you initially installed it on...

kdo2milger

Distinguished
May 26, 2002
Well I went and did it again, got a copy of xp pro corporate, and upgraded to xp pro, nice thing is I don't have to activate it and I still get updates...