Another email eBay Scammer Technique

I did a Google search (thanks to some earlier advice I got from Korn
about Google searching) but did not find any RGP postings about the
following email I just got with the Subject Heading of,
"You have successfully added a new email address" However, I entered
that complete heading into a general Google search and found lots of
recent postings (May and June) about it.

The email is *not* from eBay or PayPal and is a scam.
Here is the entire text of the email:

You have added phoneseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
eBay account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact eBay customer service at:
http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay

Thank you for using eBay!
The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
answered. For assistance, log in to your eBay account and choose the
"Help" link in the header of any page.

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay. Protect yourself against
fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet
Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the eBay URL every time you log in
to your account.

eBay Email ID PP007

Bob >
> You have added phoneseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
> eBay account.

I'm averaging about 6 of these a week right now. They must have this
set up on an automated mailer.

Mario
Pinthetic

Yeah, I got one from Paypal. Sent it to spoof@paypal.com when I thought it
seemed odd. They verified that it was not form them and indeed a scam.

Chris

"Bob Rentzer" <lawcal@lawcal.com> wrote in message
>I did a Google search (thanks to some earlier advice I got from Korn
> about Google searching) but did not find any RGP postings about the
> following email I just got with the Subject Heading of,
> "You have successfully added a new email address" However, I entered
> that complete heading into a general Google search and found lots of
> recent postings (May and June) about it.
>
> The email is *not* from eBay or PayPal and is a scam.
> Here is the entire text of the email:
>
> You have added phoneseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
> eBay account.
>
> If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
> your account, please contact eBay customer service at:
> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay
>

> Thank you for using eBay!
> The PayPal Team
>

> Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
> answered. For assistance, log in to your eBay account and choose the
> "Help" link in the header of any page.

> PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD
>
> NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay. Protect yourself against
> fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet
> Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the eBay URL every time you log in
> to your account.

> eBay Email ID PP007

Yet another one I"ve gotten recently:

It looks just like a PaPal "You've got cash" email,
and it even linked to a legitimate eBay auction that
had just ended (for a cell phone). The email makes
it look like you have been paid for the auction item,
even though you're not the seller.

The PayPal links in the email of course go to their
zombie servers where they can steal your PayPal
ID.

It's getting more and more dangerous out there.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

"Bob Rentzer" <lawcal@lawcal.com> wrote in message
>I did a Google search (thanks to some earlier advice I got from Korn
> about Google searching) but did not find any RGP postings about the
> following email I just got with the Subject Heading of,
> "You have successfully added a new email address" However, I entered
> that complete heading into a general Google search and found lots of
> recent postings (May and June) about it.
>
> The email is *not* from eBay or PayPal and is a scam.
> Here is the entire text of the email:
>
> You have added phoneseller@yahoo.com as a new email address for your
> eBay account.
>
> If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with
> your account, please contact eBay customer service at:
> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay
>

> Thank you for using eBay!
> The PayPal Team
>

> Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
> answered. For assistance, log in to your eBay account and choose the
> "Help" link in the header of any page.

> PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD
>
> NEVER give your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
> http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay. Protect yourself against
> fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet
> Explorer or Netscape) and typing in the eBay URL every time you log in
> to your account.

> eBay Email ID PP007

I don't know if a string I start will go to someone who has me in
their killfile so maybe somebody wants to take it upon themselves to
tell "Someotherguy" about this.

He put me into his killfile when I was new to the RGP and long before I
wised up! :)

I hold no grudge (and am sorry he remains upset with me) since the
fraternal order I belong to preaches to, "forgive a fault and commend a
virtue."

Bob