birdeye

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2005
ok I have just build myself a new computer the only problem is that I can't get Windows Home to intsall on my HD. I have had the exact same problem previously with the HD, basicly once I get to the point where I choice the partition windows say that it doesn't see any HDs. However the bios and everything else recognizes the HD just fine. The HD in question is a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 (SATA). I just recently built my mom a computer with a Hitachi SATA HD. I'm wondering it any has had the same prpblem with this HD and if anyone knows a good SATA HD that windows will install on. Thx

You haven't listed enough info to help you, is SATA on the M/B? or are you using a PCI RAID card?, are the CMOS settings correct?, are you hooked to the right SATA header?, have you installed the M/Bs SATA drivers [if thats a necessity] using the F6 feature at the start of the XP Home boot process?, if its M/B SATA!

What M/B brand and model?

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not a hard drive problem, I hope you didn't return a working drive, as that would drive our prices up.

XP will see most SATA drives that are recognised in main motherboard BIOS as a normal ATA drive. If you have RAID mode enabled, or if you use the interface from another chip (such as an onboard Promise controller), that doesn't work, you need to load a driver instead.

That thing when you're first booting off the XP CD that tells you to press F6 to load third parts SCSI/RAID drivers from floppy, yes, that message is there for non-integrated controllers, also needed for integrated controllers in RAID mode.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS