nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

my CD RW draw has developed a mind of it's own and seems to have taken up the
Hokey Kokey. It will open, close and move it between of it's own volition.
While doing so all other opperations are not able to be used, includind
continuing with a word document.
I have run Norton and others but this has not cured the problem.

Suggestions please.

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my CD RW draw has developed a mind of it's own and seems to have taken up
> the
> Hokey Kokey. It will open, close and move it between of it's own volition.
> While doing so all other opperations are not able to be used, includind
> continuing with a word document.
> I have run Norton and others but this has not cured the problem.
>
> Suggestions please.

There are spyware programs as well as "joke" programs that will do that. Do
a check for spyware (I recommend AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, and
an online scan at Trend Micro when you're done, just to make sure) and if
you're on a home network, check for giggling in other rooms.

Otherwise it could be an electrical or mechanical malfunction that's making
the drive erratic, or it could be some program that's gone buggy. CD drives
are pretty cheap, so if you don't have a spare one to test, buying a new one
isn't so terrible, and you can get yourself a faster one while you're at it.