oem

I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my advantage to
install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the new key. I
would like to get away from oem.
12 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    You'll have to perform a "Repair Install" using the
    new Product Key and the Windows XP CD that came
    with it.

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote in message
    >I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
    > I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my advantage to
    > install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the new key. I
    > would like to get away from oem.

    You should be able to do a repair install with the new key and software, as
    long as the new version has the same or later service pack as what's
    currently on the computer. If the new one has an older service pack, there
    are still ways to get around it, but it's just not as easy.

    By the way, your first sentence said you had a retail version oem -- which
    is it, retail or oem? If you've already got retail, doing a repair install
    isn't going to get you anywhere, unless you're doing it to fix a problem.

    D.Currie wrote:
    > "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
    >>I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my advantage to
    >>install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the new key. I
    >>would like to get away from oem.
    >

    > You should be able to do a repair install with the new key and software, as
    > long as the new version has the same or later service pack as what's
    > currently on the computer. If the new one has an older service pack, there
    > are still ways to get around it, but it's just not as easy.
    >
    > By the way, your first sentence said you had a retail version oem -- which
    > is it, retail or oem? If you've already got retail, doing a repair install
    > isn't going to get you anywhere, unless you're doing it to fix a problem.

    oops, its oem, come with hardware, the new is retail

    I do not see any advantage to installing the retail version. My systems come with OEM
    CDs, and they do everything that the retail version CDs do (with the exception of
    installing on another system). If your system is performing OK, why risk problems which
    could arise installing the retail version? (Although I have never had a problem doing
    repair installs, others have, so why risk it?) If in the future you do have a problem
    with the system, that requires a reinstall, and you have backed up your data files, that
    would be the time to do a clean install with the retail version (even then I would not
    waste it, if you already have the OEM CD that came with the system). So, my answer to
    your original question is that there really is no advantage installing the retail version.

    T.C.

    t.cruise wrote:
    > I do not see any advantage to installing the retail version. My systems come with OEM
    > CDs, and they do everything that the retail version CDs do (with the exception of
    > installing on another system). If your system is performing OK, why risk problems which
    > could arise installing the retail version? (Although I have never had a problem doing
    > repair installs, others have, so why risk it?) If in the future you do have a problem
    > with the system, that requires a reinstall, and you have backed up your data files, that
    > would be the time to do a clean install with the retail version (even then I would not
    > waste it, if you already have the OEM CD that came with the system). So, my answer to
    > your original question is that there really is no advantage installing the retail version.
    >
    > T.C.
    >

    > "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>D.Currie wrote:
    >>
    >>>"brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote in message

    >>>You should be able to do a repair install with the new key and software, as
    >>>long as the new version has the same or later service pack as what's
    >>>currently on the computer. If the new one has an older service pack, there
    >>>are still ways to get around it, but it's just not as easy.
    >>>
    >>>By the way, your first sentence said you had a retail version oem -- which
    >>>is it, retail or oem? If you've already got retail, doing a repair install
    >>>isn't going to get you anywhere, unless you're doing it to fix a problem.
    >>>

    >>oops, its oem, come with hardware, the new is retail

    Thanks, TC that is good, I will hold on to new xp may put it on another
    system. This one is working ok, I have done fresh install, and repair
    installs useing the oem disk. thanks much..

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > You should be able to do a repair install with the new key and
    > software, as long as the new version has the same or later
    > service pack as what's currently on the computer.

    That's not true. e.g. you can repair install an SP2 system with an
    SP1 CD. The result will be SP1 so it then needs to be rolled forward
    to SP2 + later fixes again.

    "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote

    >I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
    > I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my advantage to
    > install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the new key. I
    > would like to get away from oem.

    Why?

    Alias

    Alias wrote:
    > "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote
    >

    >>I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
    >>I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my advantage to
    >>install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the new key. I
    >>would like to get away from oem.
    >

    > Why?
    >
    > Alias

    Why, thats what I ask Would it be to my advantage

    In news:eWTPpOslFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    brandy <brandy@iximd.net.com> typed:

    > Alias wrote:
    >> "brandy" <brandy@iximd.net.com> wrote
    >>

    >>> I have a retail ver. oem xp home on my machine.
    >>> I just rec. a new boxed ver xp home. Would it be to my
    >>> advantage to
    >>> install the new one, and if so can I repair install with the
    >>> new
    >>> key. I would like to get away from oem.
    >>

    >> Why?
    >>
    >> Alias
    >>

    > Why, thats what I ask Would it be to my advantage

    If yours is a complete generic OEM version, rather than one
    customized for a particular OEM machine, it's identical to the
    retail version, and I don't see any advantage to doing so, other
    than that it would give you the ability to get technical support
    from Microsoft. Since support is available on newsgroups like
    this one, I wouldn't bother doing it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> You should be able to do a repair install with the new key and
    >> software, as long as the new version has the same or later
    >> service pack as what's currently on the computer.
    >
    > That's not true. e.g. you can repair install an SP2 system with an
    > SP1 CD. The result will be SP1 so it then needs to be rolled forward
    > to SP2 + later fixes again.

    It doesn't always work. Sometimes the user gets a message that they're
    trying to overwrite a newer version with an older one, and then the install
    halts.

    Other people have reported error messages during and after doing a repair
    install with an older version over a newer one. The error messages disappear
    when the service packs and updates are done, but some people panic.and halt
    the install mid-stream.

    I'm sure that sometimes it also works, but those people wouldn't be posting
    to a newsgroup asking for help if it worked. I haven't tried doing a repair
    from newer to older myself, because I've got the updated CDs I need to do it
    the easy way. But posts here indicate that there are enough problems to
    warrant warning someone that they might have problems.

    That message comes up when someone attempts an upgrade such as Windows XP
    Home SP-2 to Windows XP Pro SP-1 or no SP installed.
    It does not matter for a Repair Installation.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > It doesn't always work. Sometimes the user gets a message that they're
    > trying to overwrite a newer version with an older one, and then the
    > install halts.
    >
    > Other people have reported error messages during and after doing a repair
    > install with an older version over a newer one. The error messages
    > disappear when the service packs and updates are done, but some people
    > panic.and halt the install mid-stream.
    >
    > I'm sure that sometimes it also works, but those people wouldn't be
    > posting to a newsgroup asking for help if it worked. I haven't tried doing
    > a repair from newer to older myself, because I've got the updated CDs I
    > need to do it the easy way. But posts here indicate that there are enough
    > problems to warrant warning someone that they might have problems.

    I've had customers report that they've seen that message on repair installs,
    and there is some other peculiar error message that pops up now and then as
    well when doing a repair on top of an older SP'd version.

    Personally, I've never seen it, but after a few phone calls, I get the idea
    that it's not always smooth. And then again, since I'm not sitting there
    watching them, they might be trying to go from Home to Pro. Over the phone
    ya never know.

    > That message comes up when someone attempts an upgrade such as Windows XP
    > Home SP-2 to Windows XP Pro SP-1 or no SP installed.
    > It does not matter for a Repair Installation.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> It doesn't always work. Sometimes the user gets a message that they're
    >> trying to overwrite a newer version with an older one, and then the
    >> install halts.
    >>
    >> Other people have reported error messages during and after doing a repair
    >> install with an older version over a newer one. The error messages
    >> disappear when the service packs and updates are done, but some people
    >> panic.and halt the install mid-stream.
    >>
    >> I'm sure that sometimes it also works, but those people wouldn't be
    >> posting to a newsgroup asking for help if it worked. I haven't tried
    >> doing a repair from newer to older myself, because I've got the updated
    >> CDs I need to do it the easy way. But posts here indicate that there are
    >> enough problems to warrant warning someone that they might have problems.

Microsoft OEM Windows XP