How to determine type of XP Product Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

I purchased two old Compaq computers, both with Win XP product labels with XP
Product Keys.

I attempted to reinstall windows using the XP Corp addition I use at work,
but it would not take the product key from the PC. I don't want to use the
key from work, so I am not sure what to do.

How do I know if this is a retail product key or an oem product key, or? I
don't feel like reinstalling again using a retail copy just as a test.

Thanks...

"Mike T" <Mike T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased two old Compaq computers, both with Win XP product labels with
>XP
> Product Keys.
>
> I attempted to reinstall windows using the XP Corp addition I use at work,
> but it would not take the product key from the PC. I don't want to use
> the
> key from work, so I am not sure what to do.
>
> How do I know if this is a retail product key or an oem product key, or?
> don't feel like reinstalling again using a retail copy just as a test.
>
> Thanks...

If it's a sticker on the side of the case, it's OEM. The stickers on the
retail versions are affixed to a cardboard folder, and aren't going to be
easy to peel off and put anywhere else.

The only CD you're going to be able to use is an OEM one; neither retail nor
volume license work, and in fact, a generic OEM may not work either,
considering they're Compaqs. But that's your best bet.

BTW, you might not want to say you use a Corporate edition of XP at work. It
makes it sound like you work for Blackbeard and Friends, Inc. There really
is no such thing is a Corporate Edition -- that's the name that's used for
the ubiquitous pirated versions. Companies use Volume Licensing, or VL for
short.

And yes, you probably don't want to use the company's VL key on personal
computers at home. It may save you a few bucks, but if the company gets
audited (or if the company runs its own audits) and you get caught it could
get ugly.

You need to contact Compaq/HP and order the Recovery CDs.

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike T" wrote:

| I purchased two old Compaq computers, both with Win XP product labels with XP
| Product Keys.
|
| I attempted to reinstall windows using the XP Corp addition I use at work,
| but it would not take the product key from the PC. I don't want to use the
| key from work, so I am not sure what to do.
|
| How do I know if this is a retail product key or an oem product key, or? I
| don't feel like reinstalling again using a retail copy just as a test.
|
| Thanks...

If therre are "sticker" on the old Compaqs, then this is OEM version.

The Retail version usually has a small folder where is the XP CD is stored.
You find the CD Key on an orange sticker on that folder.

Also, Microsoft does not offer a Corp. addition. They offer a "Volume
License" edition. XP Corp. edition "usually" means that the CD is a pirated
version.

"Mike T" <Mike T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased two old Compaq computers, both with Win XP product labels with
>XP
> Product Keys.
>
> I attempted to reinstall windows using the XP Corp addition I use at work,
> but it would not take the product key from the PC. I don't want to use
> the
> key from work, so I am not sure what to do.
>
> How do I know if this is a retail product key or an oem product key, or?
> don't feel like reinstalling again using a retail copy just as a test.
>
> Thanks...

OK...

Yes - I know that the version we use at work (or used to - most PC's that we
order come pre-installed) is the Volume Licensed edition - I was just in a
hurry - I didn't mean to indicate I was using a pirated version. Every one
needs to lighten up just a little...

I was afraid that I would have to get original OEM CD's... I was hoping I
would not have to go through the hastle, but such is life. One would think
that I would be able to use any valid version of XP, but...

Thanks anyway...

> OK...
>
> Yes - I know that the version we use at work (or used to - most PC's that
> we
> order come pre-installed) is the Volume Licensed edition - I was just in a
> hurry - I didn't mean to indicate I was using a pirated version. Every
> one
> needs to lighten up just a little...
>
> I was afraid that I would have to get original OEM CD's... I was hoping I
> would not have to go through the hastle, but such is life. One would
> think
> that I would be able to use any valid version of XP, but...
>
> Thanks anyway...

I figured that you meant VL, but you're probably going to get more polite
answers if you say that instead of Corp., and I wasn't sure if you knew the
difference.

If you can still get the CDs from Compaq, they're going to be a lot cheaper
than buying new versions of XP for those computers; otherwise, the generic
oem CD may install with those keys, but you won't know until you try it.