I have a computer with XP SP2 that has worked fine for a long time. I
now have an issue when I start the PC - the first pass at start-up only
runs through the motherboard hardware checks, goes to a black screen and
then immediately restarts.

I then get to the list of choices (start in safe mode etc.). I select
"start Windows normally", and this time, XP starts OK - no restarts or
other problems.

This behavior occurs each time I start up from cold.

I'm thinking of doing an XP repair - if I do, should I use the original
XP disc or a slipstreamed version with SP2 included?

Steve

--
steheap

peter

Sounds like a repair install is called for. You'll have to slipstream Sp2
into your original CD using (I recommend) Autostreamer and Nero or similar
burning software.
See "How to repair XP" here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"steheap" <steheap.1t3j1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have a computer with XP SP2 that has worked fine for a long time. I
> now have an issue when I start the PC - the first pass at start-up only
> runs through the motherboard hardware checks, goes to a black screen and
> then immediately restarts.
>
> I then get to the list of choices (start in safe mode etc.). I select
> "start Windows normally", and this time, XP starts OK - no restarts or
> other problems.
>
> This behavior occurs each time I start up from cold.
>
> I'm thinking of doing an XP repair - if I do, should I use the original
> XP disc or a slipstreamed version with SP2 included?
>
> Steve
>

> --
> steheap

Malke

steheap wrote:

> I have a computer with XP SP2 that has worked fine for a long time. I
> now have an issue when I start the PC - the first pass at start-up
> only runs through the motherboard hardware checks, goes to a black
> screen and then immediately restarts.
>
> I then get to the list of choices (start in safe mode etc.). I select
> "start Windows normally", and this time, XP starts OK - no restarts or
> other problems.
>
> This behavior occurs each time I start up from cold.
>
> I'm thinking of doing an XP repair - if I do, should I use the
> original XP disc or a slipstreamed version with SP2 included?
>
> Steve

Before you go through a Repair Install, check your hardware. Swap the
power supply out for a known-working one. If that solves the issue,
throw the original psu out.

If the psu is good and that isn't causing the problem:

1. Check for clues in Event Viewer. Start>Run>eventvwr.msc [enter]

2. What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
Any new hardware, drivers, etc.?

3. Try clean-boot troubleshooting per:
Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

If you have slipstreamed version with SP2 included then repair install
with that.
see also:-
regards,
ssg MS-MVP