How to get rid of Quick Time ??

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
tray.

I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
start up list and runs in the background.

If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.

Thanks.

--James--
26 answers Last reply
More about quick time
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    James - disable QuickTime using the options within the program itself -
    otherwise as you've found, it will tend to come back every time it get
    launched by a website or whatever.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2004, Win9x)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

    > This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
    > program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
    > Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my
    system
    > tray.
    >
    > I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next
    day.
    > I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
    > me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
    > start up list and runs in the background.
    >
    > If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --James--

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Have you tried going into Quick Time's preferences? Or have you looked in
    Quick Time's folder to see if there is an uninstall?

    Personally, I hate Quick Time because it puts itself all over your computer.

    Alias

    "James Nipper" wrote

    > This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
    > program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
    > Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my
    system
    > tray.
    >
    > I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next
    day.
    > I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
    > me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
    > start up list and runs in the background.
    >
    > If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --James--

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys tray,
    there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
    out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits and
    pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
    shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
    like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
    files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???

    Thanks !!

    --James--
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    | Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys
    tray,
    | there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
    | out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits
    and
    | pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
    | shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
    | like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
    | files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???
    |
    | Thanks !!
    |
    | --James--

    Look for a Quick time icon in Control Panel. Open it.

    Disable (from the drop down menu) "Check for Updates Automatically" under
    "Update Check" and "Quick Time system tray icon" under "Browser Plug-in."

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    James, don't just simply delete, it may cause more problems. If you
    can't find either Options or Preferences in QuickTime so that you can
    disable it from the Startup menu, then find QuickTime in Add/Remove
    and simply remove it from there. And if that doesn't work, then
    download a small utility that manages the Startup process to do it for
    you. I got one from one of the MVP's website (forget which MVP),
    titled STARTUP CONTROL PANEL by Mike Lin (www.mlin.net).
    Hope this helps.

    Dan

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
    message news:1wybc.114121$8G2.49397@fe3.columbus.rr.com...
    > "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
    > |

    > | Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the
    sys
    > tray,
    > | there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are
    greyed
    > | out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be
    bits
    > and
    > | pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely,
    it is a
    > | shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again,
    it looks
    > | like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left
    remnant
    > | files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???
    > |
    > | Thanks !!
    > |
    > | --James--
    >
    > Look for a Quick time icon in Control Panel. Open it.
    >
    > Disable (from the drop down menu) "Check for Updates Automatically"
    under
    > "Update Check" and "Quick Time system tray icon" under "Browser
    Plug-in."

    > I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    > I was just trying to help.
    > Please use your own best judgment before implementing any
    suggestions or
    > advice herein.
    > No warranty is expressed or implied.
    > Your mileage may vary.
    > See store for details. :)
    >
    > Remove shoes to E-mail.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    To the last two responses,

    1. As stated earlier, QuickTime is NOT found in Add/Remove programs.

    2. I don't find a QuickTime icon in Control panel.

    3. I can't get to any "Preferences" as the program seems to only have
    remnants of files, with no exe file etc. The uninstall icon is only
    a shortcut, and not accessible.

    -------------------

    This is all a bit weird to me.

    --James--
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    James,

    If the Quicktime icon isn't accessible via control panel, then I would
    re-install Quicktime from the Web, then properly "remove" the full program
    after you disable the start icon from running. It should wipe out everything
    for you.

    Phillip
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

    >This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
    >program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
    >Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
    >tray.

    Do you have, or have you ever, had the email client Eudora
    installed? For reasons beyond my ken, Eudora needs QuickTime to
    render some graphics formats people tend to put in HTML{-ish}
    [spit] emails. I believe it even used to include a stripped down
    QT that you could optionally install - but my memory has been
    going and this may be a false one. Particularly since I've had
    QT installed long since for other reasons.

    >I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
    >I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
    >me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
    >start up list and runs in the background.
    >
    >If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.

    Ample responses have been made to this. I just wanted to throw
    in the Eudora thing as a possible explanation of how QuickTime
    might have gotten put on your machine.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

    Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and only
    got parts of it....

    Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove programs.
    It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.

    Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
    should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?

    Gram
    --
    Please respond to the newsgroup, mail from this account is usually deleted,
    unread

    > To the last two responses,
    >

    > 1. As stated earlier, QuickTime is NOT found in Add/Remove programs.
    >
    > 2. I don't find a QuickTime icon in Control panel.
    >
    > 3. I can't get to any "Preferences" as the program seems to only have
    > remnants of files, with no exe file etc. The uninstall icon is
    only
    > a shortcut, and not accessible.
    >
    > -------------------
    >
    > This is all a bit weird to me.
    >
    > --James--

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Phillip and Gram, this is a good idea. I will try it.

    --James--
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't have
    to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
    wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
    and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
    Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
    co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
    would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.

    On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
    <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and only
    > got parts of it....
    >
    > Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove programs.
    > It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
    >
    > Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
    > should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
    >
    > Gram
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone<<<<<<<

    ......don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
    unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require installation.
    You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
    method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to proper
    install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
    Heirloom, old and does it with descretion

    "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
    have
    > to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
    > wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
    > and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
    > Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
    > co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example),
    > would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
    >
    > On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
    > <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
    only
    > > got parts of it....
    > >
    > > Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
    programs.
    > > It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
    > >
    > > Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
    > > should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
    > >
    > > Gram

  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
    It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

    On 4/3/04 12:55 PM, in article #ayJrSaGEHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

    > would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone<<<<<<<
    >
    > .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
    > unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require installation.
    > You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
    > method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to proper
    > install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
    > Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
    >

    > "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
    > have
    >> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
    >> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
    >> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
    >> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
    >> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example),
    >> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
    >>
    >> On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
    >> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
    > only
    >>> got parts of it....
    >>>
    >>> Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
    > programs.
    >>> It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
    >>>
    >>> Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
    >>> should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
    >>>
    >>> Gram

  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Sorry, Richardson......my bad. I running through the posts, I thought you
    were referring to doing that in Windows. You have my humble apologies.
    Heirloom, old and stepped in it

    > You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    > application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    > remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL
    issues.
    > It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

    > > would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's
    gone<<<<<<<

    > > .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
    > > unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require
    installation.
    > > You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
    > > method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to
    proper
    > > install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
    > > Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
    > >

    > > "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
    > > have
    > >> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
    > >> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on
    PCs
    > >> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I
    run
    > >> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine
    and
    > >> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for
    example),
    > >> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.

    > > only

    > > programs.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    Richardson wrote:

    > You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    > application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    > remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
    > It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

    Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
    developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
    more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
    Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
    reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
    due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Do a search for a file called qttask.exe and move that file to another "junk
    folder". That was what I had to do to stop it from loading all the time at
    boot-up. I previously tried setting all the QT preferences to no, don't, etc.,
    but until I changed the directory that the qttask.exe file was in, it kept

    BT

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

    > This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
    > program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
    > Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
    > tray.
    >
    > I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
    > I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
    > me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
    > start up list and runs in the background.
    >
    > If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --James--

  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

    On 4/3/04 4:01 PM, in article 106u9ceg1h290b0@news.supernews.com,
    "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote:

    > Richardson wrote:
    >
    >> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    >> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    >> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
    >> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
    >
    > Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
    > developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
    > more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
    > Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
    > reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
    > due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.

    Hmmm...many would counter that the underlying Windows code is much more
    hidden and proprietary than OSX. And, yes, I'm real glad that there are no
    DLL and Registry fubars on the Mac platform; just as I am quite pleased that
    it is never necessary to run Spybot (or anything similar) on a Mac. That
    said, Quicktime works just fine on my PC.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    No worries, mate...

    On 4/3/04 3:57 PM, in article #Qyg#3bGEHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

    > Sorry, Richardson......my bad. I running through the posts, I thought you
    > were referring to doing that in Windows. You have my humble apologies.
    > Heirloom, old and stepped in it
    >
    > "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    >> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    >> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL
    > issues.
    >> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

    >>> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's
    > gone<<<<<<<
    >>>
    >>> .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
    >>> unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require
    > installation.
    >>> You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
    >>> method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to
    > proper
    >>> install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
    >>> Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
    >>>

    >>> "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> have
    > PCs
    > run
    > and
    > example),

    >>> only

    >>> programs.

    > it

    I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    require it.

    Joan

    Richardson wrote:

    > On 4/3/04 4:01 PM, in article 106u9ceg1h290b0@news.supernews.com,
    > "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote:
    >

    >>Richardson wrote:
    >>

    >>>You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
    >>>application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
    >>>remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
    >>>It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
    >>
    >>Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
    >>developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
    >>more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
    >>Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
    >>reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
    >>due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.
    >>

    > Hmmm...many would counter that the underlying Windows code is much more
    > hidden and proprietary than OSX. And, yes, I'm real glad that there are no
    > DLL and Registry fubars on the Mac platform; just as I am quite pleased that
    > it is never necessary to run Spybot (or anything similar) on a Mac. That
    > said, Quicktime works just fine on my PC.

    Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
    the screen?

    My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
    and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.

    There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....

    Gram

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    > because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    > QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    > music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    > require it.
    >
    > Joan

    No Rina, I refused the upgrade. 6.4 works great for me now and if it
    ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. :-)

    Joan

    Rina wrote:
    > Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
    > the screen?
    >
    > My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
    > and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
    >
    > There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
    >
    > Gram
    >

    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    >>because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    >>QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    >>music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    >>require it.
    >>
    >>Joan

    Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
    version, platforms supported and download options:

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html

    It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out whether
    you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).

    On 4/4/04 11:48 AM, in article E7Wbc.72196$K91.160116@attbi_s02, "Rina"
    <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
    > the screen?
    >
    > My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
    > and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
    >
    > There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
    >
    > Gram
    >

    > "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >> I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    >> because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    >> QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    >> music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    >> require it.
    >>
    >> Joan

    Thanks for the information. I think I'll bypass it. I only use it for
    the web and you need it for most Nancy Drew games.

    Richardson wrote:

    > Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
    > version, platforms supported and download options:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html
    >
    > It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out whether
    > you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).
    >

    > On 4/4/04 11:48 AM, in article E7Wbc.72196$K91.160116@attbi_s02, "Rina"
    > <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
    >>the screen?
    >>
    >>My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
    >>and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
    >>
    >>There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
    >>
    >>Gram
    >>

    >>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
    >>>because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
    >>>QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
    >>>music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
    >>>require it.
    >>>
    >>>Joan

    Thanks, I don't usually go for the upgrade unless there's an indication that
    I need it...

    Quick time plays the movies from my digital camera, I've only made 2 or 3
    and they were accidents! <giggle>

    Rina

    > No Rina, I refused the upgrade. 6.4 works great for me now and if it
    > ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. :-)
    >
    > Joan

    Thanks, I think it's more than necessary (for now)

    Rina

    > Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
    > version, platforms supported and download options:
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html
    >
    > It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out
    whether
    > you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Read QTTIME on :

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_q.htm

    Mik

    "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

    > This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use
    the
    > program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up
    folder.
    > Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in
    my system
    > tray.
    >
    > I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the
    next day.
    > I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the
    life of
    > me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to
    my
    > start up list and runs in the background.
    >
    > If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > --James--

Dell Microsoft Computers