Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to get rid of Quick Time ??

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 10:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
tray.

I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
start up list and runs in the background.

If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.

Thanks.


--James--

More about : rid quick time

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 4:38:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

James - disable QuickTime using the options within the program itself -
otherwise as you've found, it will tend to come back every time it get
launched by a website or whatever.


--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2004, Win9x)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
news:j-idnSDZh9bgPPPdRVn-sA@comcast.com...
>
>
> This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
> program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
> Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my
system
> tray.
>
> I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next
day.
> I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
> me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
> start up list and runs in the background.
>
> If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --James--
>
April 3, 2004 5:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Have you tried going into Quick Time's preferences? Or have you looked in
Quick Time's folder to see if there is an uninstall?

Personally, I hate Quick Time because it puts itself all over your computer.

Alias

"James Nipper" wrote
>
>
> This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
> program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
> Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my
system
> tray.
>
> I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next
day.
> I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
> me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
> start up list and runs in the background.
>
> If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --James--
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:40:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys tray,
there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits and
pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???

Thanks !!

--James--
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
news:862dncD37ObENfPdRVn-vg@comcast.com...
|
|
| Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the sys
tray,
| there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are greyed
| out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be bits
and
| pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely, it is a
| shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again, it looks
| like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left remnant
| files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???
|
| Thanks !!
|
| --James--

Look for a Quick time icon in Control Panel. Open it.

Disable (from the drop down menu) "Check for Updates Automatically" under
"Update Check" and "Quick Time system tray icon" under "Browser Plug-in."

--
D

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :) 

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:40:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

James, don't just simply delete, it may cause more problems. If you
can't find either Options or Preferences in QuickTime so that you can
disable it from the Startup menu, then find QuickTime in Add/Remove
and simply remove it from there. And if that doesn't work, then
download a small utility that manages the Startup process to do it for
you. I got one from one of the MVP's website (forget which MVP),
titled STARTUP CONTROL PANEL by Mike Lin (www.mlin.net).
Hope this helps.

Dan

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:1wybc.114121$8G2.49397@fe3.columbus.rr.com...
> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
> news:862dncD37ObENfPdRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> |
> |
> | Thanks for these comments. When I check on the icon in the
sys
> tray,
> | there is an option to open the program, etc, but those options are
greyed
> | out. When I did a search for Quicktime, I found what appear to be
bits
> and
> | pieces of the program. There is an unistall icon, but strangely,
it is a
> | shortcut icon and does nothing. There is no exec. file. Again,
it looks
> | like maybe I have deleted the entire program before, but it left
remnant
> | files. Perhaps I should delete all of them ???
> |
> | Thanks !!
> |
> | --James--
>
> Look for a Quick time icon in Control Panel. Open it.
>
> Disable (from the drop down menu) "Check for Updates Automatically"
under
> "Update Check" and "Quick Time system tray icon" under "Browser
Plug-in."
>
> --
> D
>
> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any
suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :) 
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.
>
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:41:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

To the last two responses,


1. As stated earlier, QuickTime is NOT found in Add/Remove programs.

2. I don't find a QuickTime icon in Control panel.

3. I can't get to any "Preferences" as the program seems to only have
remnants of files, with no exe file etc. The uninstall icon is only
a shortcut, and not accessible.

-------------------

This is all a bit weird to me.

--James--
April 3, 2004 5:41:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

James,

If the Quicktime icon isn't accessible via control panel, then I would
re-install Quicktime from the Web, then properly "remove" the full program
after you disable the start icon from running. It should wipe out everything
for you.

Phillip
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 5:57:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
>program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
>Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
>tray.

Do you have, or have you ever, had the email client Eudora
installed? For reasons beyond my ken, Eudora needs QuickTime to
render some graphics formats people tend to put in HTML{-ish}
[spit] emails. I believe it even used to include a stripped down
QT that you could optionally install - but my memory has been
going and this may be a false one. Particularly since I've had
QT installed long since for other reasons.

>I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
>I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
>me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
>start up list and runs in the background.
>
>If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.

Ample responses have been made to this. I just wanted to throw
in the Eudora thing as a possible explanation of how QuickTime
might have gotten put on your machine.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast]
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and only
got parts of it....

Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove programs.
It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.

Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?

Gram
--
Please respond to the newsgroup, mail from this account is usually deleted,
unread



"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
news:XYydnZU3CNnZTvPd4p2dnA@comcast.com...
>
>
> To the last two responses,
>
>
> 1. As stated earlier, QuickTime is NOT found in Add/Remove programs.
>
> 2. I don't find a QuickTime icon in Control panel.
>
> 3. I can't get to any "Preferences" as the program seems to only have
> remnants of files, with no exe file etc. The uninstall icon is
only
> a shortcut, and not accessible.
>
> -------------------
>
> This is all a bit weird to me.
>
> --James--
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Phillip and Gram, this is a good idea. I will try it.


--James--
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't have
to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.

On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
<Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:

> Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and only
> got parts of it....
>
> Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove programs.
> It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
>
> Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
> should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
>
> Gram
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

>>>>However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone<<<<<<<

......don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require installation.
You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to proper
install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
Heirloom, old and does it with descretion


"Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:BC9454C0.1C54D%debsguy@comcast.net...
> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
have
> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example),
I
> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
>
> On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
only
> > got parts of it....
> >
> > Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
programs.
> > It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
> >
> > Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
> > should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
> >
> > Gram
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.


On 4/3/04 12:55 PM, in article #ayJrSaGEHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

>>>>> However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone<<<<<<<
>
> .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
> unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require installation.
> You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
> method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to proper
> install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
> Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
>
>
> "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:BC9454C0.1C54D%debsguy@comcast.net...
>> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
> have
>> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
>> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on PCs
>> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I run
>> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine and
>> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example),
> I
>> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
>>
>> On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
>> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
> only
>>> got parts of it....
>>>
>>> Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
> programs.
>>> It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
>>>
>>> Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then it
>>> should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
>>>
>>> Gram
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Sorry, Richardson......my bad. I running through the posts, I thought you
were referring to doing that in Windows. You have my humble apologies.
Heirloom, old and stepped in it

"Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:BC9485F4.1C571%debsguy@comcast.net...
> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL
issues.
> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
>
>
> On 4/3/04 12:55 PM, in article #ayJrSaGEHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:
>
> >>>>> However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
> > would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's
gone<<<<<<<
> >
> > .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
> > unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require
installation.
> > You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
> > method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to
proper
> > install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
> > Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
> >
> >
> > "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:BC9454C0.1C54D%debsguy@comcast.net...
> >> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
> > have
> >> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
> >> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on
PCs
> >> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I
run
> >> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine
and
> >> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for
example),
> > I
> >> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
> >>
> >> On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
> >> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
> > only
> >>> got parts of it....
> >>>
> >>> Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
> > programs.
> >>> It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
> >>>
> >>> Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then
it
> >>> should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
> >>>
> >>> Gram
> >>
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

Richardson wrote:

> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.

Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.
April 3, 2004 7:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Do a search for a file called qttask.exe and move that file to another "junk
folder". That was what I had to do to stop it from loading all the time at
boot-up. I previously tried setting all the QT preferences to no, don't, etc.,
but until I changed the directory that the qttask.exe file was in, it kept
loading on boot-up.

BT



"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
news:j-idnSDZh9bgPPPdRVn-sA@comcast.com...
>
>
> This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use the
> program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up folder.
> Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in my system
> tray.
>
> I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the next day.
> I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the life of
> me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to my
> start up list and runs in the background.
>
> If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --James--
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 8:06:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc (More info?)

On 4/3/04 4:01 PM, in article 106u9ceg1h290b0@news.supernews.com,
"Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote:

>
> Richardson wrote:
>
>> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
>> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
>> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
>> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
>
> Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
> developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
> more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
> Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
> reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
> due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.
>
Hmmm...many would counter that the underlying Windows code is much more
hidden and proprietary than OSX. And, yes, I'm real glad that there are no
DLL and Registry fubars on the Mac platform; just as I am quite pleased that
it is never necessary to run Spybot (or anything similar) on a Mac. That
said, Quicktime works just fine on my PC.
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 8:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

No worries, mate...

On 4/3/04 3:57 PM, in article #Qyg#3bGEHA.264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

> Sorry, Richardson......my bad. I running through the posts, I thought you
> were referring to doing that in Windows. You have my humble apologies.
> Heirloom, old and stepped in it
>
> "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:BC9485F4.1C571%debsguy@comcast.net...
>> You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
>> application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
>> remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL
> issues.
>> It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
>>
>>
>> On 4/3/04 12:55 PM, in article #ayJrSaGEHA.3568@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:
>>
>>>>>>> However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for example), I
>>> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's
> gone<<<<<<<
>>>
>>> .....don't think this is the most desirable method of removing ANY app,
>>> unless it is a 'stand alone' application that does not require
> installation.
>>> You may have removed icons, folders and files with your 'drag and drop'
>>> method, but, the Registry will be full of ghosts. Subscribing to
> proper
>>> install/uninstall methods would be highly preferable.
>>> Heirloom, old and does it with descretion
>>>
>>>
>>> "Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:BC9454C0.1C54D%debsguy@comcast.net...
>>>> Yes, QT should be in the Add Remove control panel. However, it doesn't
>>> have
>>>> to take over a PC...just go through its preferences and limit it as you
>>>> wish. Quicktime is, imho, the best app for watching movie trailers on
> PCs
>>>> and Macs (I use both). By the way, as a simple point of comparison, I
> run
>>>> Quicktime, Real and Windows Media Player on Mac OSX. They all run fine
> and
>>>> co-exist with no issues. However, if I wanted to remove WMP (for
> example),
>>> I
>>>> would simply drag the application to the trash and empty...it's gone.
>>>>
>>>> On 4/3/04 10:42 AM, in article EXAbc.64890$K91.153209@attbi_s02, "Rina"
>>>> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Maybe it doesn't show up because you've already tried to remove it and
>>> only
>>>>> got parts of it....
>>>>>
>>>>> Quicktime shows up on my computer in the control panel/ add remove
>>> programs.
>>>>> It also shows up on the in the start menu and has it's own uninstall.
>>>>>
>>>>> Have you considered reinstalling, so that it will over write... then
> it
>>>>> should have all the proper places for a complete uninstall?
>>>>>
>>>>> Gram
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:54:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
require it.

Joan

Richardson wrote:

> On 4/3/04 4:01 PM, in article 106u9ceg1h290b0@news.supernews.com,
> "Mistoffolees" <mistyfac01@danang.rvn> wrote:
>
>
>>Richardson wrote:
>>
>>
>>>You are describing all of the issues that can happen when you delete an
>>>application in Windows. I was describing how ridiculously easy it is to
>>>remove an app like WMP on Mac OSX...no Registry to screw up; no DLL issues.
>>>It's a much cleaner environment for uninstalls.
>>
>>Hmmm...QuickTime is an Apple product. Be happy that apps
>>developed through use of the more "open" Windows SDK are
>>more pliable than those developed through the proprietary
>>Apple "toolbox" and ported for Windows use. In fact, the
>>reason there is no registry to screw up or DLL issues is
>>due to the fact that Apple uses a "closed" monolithic OS.
>>
>
> Hmmm...many would counter that the underlying Windows code is much more
> hidden and proprietary than OSX. And, yes, I'm real glad that there are no
> DLL and Registry fubars on the Mac platform; just as I am quite pleased that
> it is never necessary to run Spybot (or anything similar) on a Mac. That
> said, Quicktime works just fine on my PC.
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 7:48:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
the screen?

My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.

There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....

Gram



"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
news:mFLbc.15255$of.426@lakeread03...
> I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
> because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
> QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
> music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
> require it.
>
> Joan
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 7:48:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No Rina, I refused the upgrade. 6.4 works great for me now and if it
ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. :-)

Joan

Rina wrote:
> Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
> the screen?
>
> My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
> and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
>
> There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
>
> Gram
>
>
>
> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> news:mFLbc.15255$of.426@lakeread03...
>
>>I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
>>because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
>>QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
>>music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
>>require it.
>>
>>Joan
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 7:48:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
version, platforms supported and download options:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html

It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out whether
you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).


On 4/4/04 11:48 AM, in article E7Wbc.72196$K91.160116@attbi_s02, "Rina"
<Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:

> Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
> the screen?
>
> My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
> and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
>
> There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
>
> Gram
>
>
>
> "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
> news:mFLbc.15255$of.426@lakeread03...
>> I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
>> because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
>> QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
>> music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
>> require it.
>>
>> Joan
>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 7:48:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks for the information. I think I'll bypass it. I only use it for
the web and you need it for most Nancy Drew games.

Richardson wrote:

> Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
> version, platforms supported and download options:
>
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html
>
> It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out whether
> you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).
>
>
> On 4/4/04 11:48 AM, in article E7Wbc.72196$K91.160116@attbi_s02, "Rina"
> <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>
>>Question: Did you upgrade or say "no, later"... when their pop up comes on
>>the screen?
>>
>>My QuickTime version 6.4 seems to work just fine for my internet browsing
>>and viewing short videos, but I was curious what an upgrade would add.
>>
>>There are a few sites that would be useless without Quicktime....
>>
>>Gram
>>
>>
>>
>>"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
>>news:mFLbc.15255$of.426@lakeread03...
>>
>>>I have WinXP, QuickTime works fine on my PC's. I thank Apple for it,
>>>because I have cable and check out short movies videos, etc., I prefer
>>>QT to Windows Media Player. Also, iTunes is great for downloading
>>>music, and several games still require QT and some greeting card sites
>>>require it.
>>>
>>>Joan
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 10:18:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks, I don't usually go for the upgrade unless there's an indication that
I need it...

Quick time plays the movies from my digital camera, I've only made 2 or 3
and they were accidents! <giggle>

Rina

"Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
news:qnWbc.15515$of.12519@lakeread03...
> No Rina, I refused the upgrade. 6.4 works great for me now and if it
> ain't broke don't fix it is my motto. :-)
>
> Joan
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 10:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks, I think it's more than necessary (for now)

Rina

"Richardson" <debsguy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:BC95B525.1C73B%debsguy@comcast.net...
> Here is a link to solid information about Quicktime, including the current
> version, platforms supported and download options:
>
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/faq.html
>
> It's a very powerful application, but it's a good idea to figure out
whether
> you would benefit from upgrading to the Pro version (not for free).
April 5, 2004 1:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Read QTTIME on :

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_...


Mik

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
news:j-idnSDZh9bgPPPdRVn-sA@comcast.com...
>
>
> This is a problem that has bugged me for over a year. I NEVER use
the
> program called Quick Time. I have NEVER put it in my Start Up
folder.
> Yet, it runs in the background all the time, and the icon shows in
my system
> tray.
>
> I run msconfig and delete the entry, but it will show back up the
next day.
> I go to Add/Remove programs, but it is not listed there. For the
life of
> me, I can't figure out where it comes from and how it adds itself to
my
> start up list and runs in the background.
>
> If anyone can help me with this I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --James--
>
!