Another Magic Eraser convert...

I tried the Magic Eraser on my Motordome shop out and all I can say is
wow. It didn't totally remove the ball swirls, but the playfield looks
way nicer than I ever expected. I didn't really have any trouble
getting the haze to clean up using Novus 2, and with a good waxing this
game's looking good.

Just my opinion,
K2
14 answers Last reply
More about another magic eraser convert

    Howdy,

    Magic Eraser? Where did you buy it? Had you already cleaned the
    playfield with Novus 2 then use Magix Eraser? Sorry about so many
    questions but I'm really interested because I own a real nice Grand
    Prix but the ball swirls are a blemish that I would love to see gone.
    Don't hold back, more info please! :-)

    Hoe many times did you use Magic Eraser to achieve the desired results?
    Did it have any effect on the playfield such as color removal or
    dulling of finish. I look forward to hearing more.

    Thanks,
    Mark

    Has anyone used Magic eraser on a Kiss Playfield. I'm curious as to if
    the swirl marks came out in the center of the machine in the 4 row KISS
    letter area.

    John

    I buy mine at Dillons grocery store. In the isle with all the household
    cleaning materials. I recently cleaned up a Nitro Ground Shaker and
    man, it was like night and day. There is a woman and a man beside each
    other on the playfield. They both looked like they were lizard people.
    When I got done, it was incredible. I actually rememberd to take before
    and after shots! I also did this to a Close Encounters. Another great
    example and I also took before and after pics. I use 70% rubbing
    alcohol on my Magic Erasers. I think that the alcohol gets down into
    the micro cracks and helps to wash out the embedded dirt while the
    eraser sands away the top layers.

    You can go right through the paint however. I got greedy once and
    continued to scrub and scrub on a white spot on the playfield thinking
    I would get it even more briliant white. Next thing I knew, I saw the
    playfield wood! But, it takes a lot of scrubbing and pushing hard to do
    that. Keep your pressure light and watch carefully as you are
    scrubbing. You will slowly see the change take place from dirty, to
    semi-dirty, to cleaner etc. Like Ray said, it won't get out all of it
    but it will look fantastic compared to what you started with.

    I also don't use the entire eraser at once. I rip it off about 1 1/2
    inch rectangles (width wise) and use my pointer and middle finger
    together to hold the eraser and to scrub. It allows me to get into the
    hard to reach areas as well as on the open playfield areas.

    Doug

    I second the point of it will remove paint. The secret for using Magic
    Erasers is don't get greedy with the results. Just about the time you
    think "just a little more to get it 100%/perfect", you'll see bare
    wood.

    billg

    Worked great on center of my BK but then looked in RGP and worried
    whether I had rubbed it too long, maybe 50 or 100 rubs in a given spot
    at the most, when somebody warned that more than SIX rubs could start
    taking off paint?!
    So I just tested a spot under the apron and it didn't start wearing
    down to the ink till about 500 or 600 rubs. And this is a game with
    the old laquer. Depends on how much laquer you have left on your
    playfield for sure, if it's really thin where you can see woodgrain or
    you already have bare wood exposed around the general area, watch out.

    We have them available through our site: www.actionpinball.com

    Or many grocery stores carry them in the household cleaners section.

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Has anyone used Magic eraser on a Kiss Playfield. I'm curious as to if
    > the swirl marks came out in the center of the machine in the 4 row KISS
    > letter area.

    They'll usually take away maybe 75% or more of the swirl marks- never all of
    them (nothing will)- your results can vary from game to game and so on.
    I've had nothing but excellent results with using them. I've talked to a few
    people who claim they didn't do much for them on their games- your results
    may vary.

    We used 2 Magic Erasers to clean up a Bally Six Million Dollar Man playfield
    in a game we recently did one of our Signature Series restorations on- Magic
    Eraser, then cleaned off and clearcoated, then a few coats of Kit Carnauba
    wax. I'd say it took 15 years of wear off of the playfield's surface-
    really turned out well. I think we still have pics of that game posted on
    our website so you can have a look or get more info if interested-
    www.actionpinball.com Sold in 2 days so we never really got much time to
    enjoy it but it really turned out nice!

    Highly recommended!

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    Web: www.actionpinball.com

    There is another brand that Home Depot carries that I believe runs quite a
    bit cheaper and is the same thing.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "Ray Johnson - Action Pinball" <staff@actionpinball.com> wrote in message

    > Or many grocery stores carry them in the household cleaners section.

    Mark:

    Lots of Magic Eraser details here:
    http://arcadearchive.com/pinball/magic/

    Magic Erasers are available at big supermakets, Wal-Mart,
    and Home Depot (sometimes).

    -Mark
    --
    http://pinballpal.com/

    <mdefrayne@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Howdy,
    >
    > Magic Eraser? Where did you buy it? Had you already cleaned the
    > playfield with Novus 2 then use Magix Eraser? Sorry about so many
    > questions but I'm really interested because I own a real nice Grand
    > Prix but the ball swirls are a blemish that I would love to see gone.
    > Don't hold back, more info please! :-)
    >
    > Hoe many times did you use Magic Eraser to achieve the desired results?
    > Did it have any effect on the playfield such as color removal or
    > dulling of finish. I look forward to hearing more.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Mark - here's a link to a pictuer of it.
    http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml
    I got mine from Ray @ action pinball
    http://www.aros.net/~rayj/action/partsgen.htm and they work great.
    Just be careful - it WILL take paint off if you rub to hard for too long. I
    didn't prep my FH playfield with novus or anything, just wet the sponge and
    lightly rub areas until they lighten up ( clean ). I only used 1 sponge for
    the entire playfield. If dirt is too ground in, then theres nothing you can
    do - so be careful, but it will look better than before you started.

    Devon

    Otto wrote:
    > There is another brand that Home Depot carries that I believe runs quite a
    > bit cheaper and is the same thing.
    >
    > Otto

    Correct, Otto. I just used one of them tonight and it worked great!

    Al

    my box of 4 Mr. Clean sponges was 2.98 I think at Kmart, and unless you
    are cleaning entire playfields, this is enough to last you a
    lifetime...Frenchy

    If you are an Aussie you can find the same thing at Big W called Balbo
    power pads. Packet of 2 will set you back about $5.

    Dave

    Bought pack of 4 last night a Lowe's for $3.89.

    Charlie L.

Games World Of Warcraft Video Games