Does this happen to anyone else?

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2005 12:58:44 PM

I saw this comment on a recent thread, and it coincided with something
I've been pondering for a while:

DWGoett Jun 10, 7:42 am show options

i have a buddy that will play a new pin and spank it pretty bad until i

explain the rules and he trys to start making shots. Then i beat him
regularly.
weird how that works.
Dan

I generally notice that whenever I play a game I haven't played
before.. I seem to have a fairly good (if not great) game the first
few times I play it. Then as I start to figure out the rules, and try
to "make" certain shots to complete objectives, my scores tend to fall
off, sometimes dramatically. With practice, and some consistent play
on a single game, I can tend to make shots much more often and increase
the scoring in the long run, but the phenomenon had me thinking...
Does just random flipping count as a strategy?

I'd casually refer to this as the "TOMMY EFFECT". I mean without the
distraction of making specific shots, let alone in some sort of order,
and the sole objective being keeping the ball in play, can one score
higher than someone trying to make shots with equal skills?

Case in point: I recently added a LOTR to my collection. I had never
played it prior to it's arrival in my basement. First game I played, I
eventually had to turn it off since I kept getting extra balls,
jackpots, multiballs, etc. and I had no idea at the time what I was
doing to obtain each. I just played simply to keep the ball in play as
long as possible. I thought to myself this game sure seems a bit easy,
I wonder what all the hype is about. Of course, 2 months later, Im
pulling my hair out trying to get any further than a few hundred mil,
and still trying to complete all multiballs in a single game, etc.

Am I alone here?
Vinny

More about : happen

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:09:08 PM

I scored like 1.7 billion on my first couple of games on GNR (3 balls),
and now its really hard for me to break into that score level. It is
definitely luck . It is really odd..
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:19:52 PM

On a similar note, I've observed/pondered for years the effect of
playing a 2 or 4 player game by myself. You would think all 4 scores
would be about the same, right? Almost never. And the machines are
working fine. What's that all about?!

Vinny Pin wrote:
> I saw this comment on a recent thread, and it coincided with something
> I've been pondering for a while:
>
> DWGoett Jun 10, 7:42 am show options
>
> i have a buddy that will play a new pin and spank it pretty bad until i
>
> explain the rules and he trys to start making shots. Then i beat him
> regularly.
> weird how that works.
> Dan
>
> I generally notice that whenever I play a game I haven't played
> before.. I seem to have a fairly good (if not great) game the first
> few times I play it. Then as I start to figure out the rules, and try
> to "make" certain shots to complete objectives, my scores tend to fall
> off, sometimes dramatically. With practice, and some consistent play
> on a single game, I can tend to make shots much more often and increase
> the scoring in the long run, but the phenomenon had me thinking...
> Does just random flipping count as a strategy?
>
> I'd casually refer to this as the "TOMMY EFFECT". I mean without the
> distraction of making specific shots, let alone in some sort of order,
> and the sole objective being keeping the ball in play, can one score
> higher than someone trying to make shots with equal skills?
>
> Case in point: I recently added a LOTR to my collection. I had never
> played it prior to it's arrival in my basement. First game I played, I
> eventually had to turn it off since I kept getting extra balls,
> jackpots, multiballs, etc. and I had no idea at the time what I was
> doing to obtain each. I just played simply to keep the ball in play as
> long as possible. I thought to myself this game sure seems a bit easy,
> I wonder what all the hype is about. Of course, 2 months later, Im
> pulling my hair out trying to get any further than a few hundred mil,
> and still trying to complete all multiballs in a single game, etc.
>
> Am I alone here?
> Vinny
June 10, 2005 3:35:51 PM

It happens to me all the time that way too. Another thing that seems to
always happen is on any given game I seem to have one fantastic ball
(including multiple extra balls earned on that ball), the rest I might
as well of been not playing. Last night I had 7mil starting my last
ball on MB and ended up with 3.8 billion. Darn I wish I would have
played them first two balls :-) Might as well set my games to 1 ball,
seems that's all I seem to ever play.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:26:27 PM

Yea, my 13 yr old kid did this in his first 10-12 games ever on I*J
last year. He gets to the Eternal Life wizard mode and nearly completed
it. He hasn't been close since and I have yet to even get there...

He blames it on me for shopping and cleaning the game. :)

Al
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:06:14 PM

See, this is what happens when you score well on your first few
games.....the pin gods become angry and the curse of tawaballba falls
upon you. A virgin sacrifice may be required....:-)

Tim
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:00:52 AM

Isn't this what pinball has over video gaming...You have reality of the real
world, opposed to the computer simulation that has a defined rule set...

!