Sign in with
Your question

Partition os hard drive ?

Last response: in Windows 7
October 8, 2012 3:49:48 PM

I have my OS on a 1TB WD black drive and three green WD 2TB drives for storage. Can I partition my OS drive while I am still using it ? or do I have to format the whole drive over and then partition and re-install the OS on it. I am running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. :) 

More about : partition hard drive

a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 5:28:02 PM

There are programs, such as Partition Magic, which will do in situ partitioning, but there is still always a chance of something going wrong and losing all data. So make sure to have a backup beforehand.
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 7:41:27 PM

dodger46 said:
I use EaseUs Partition Master on an experimental system, I find it very simple to use and it has never failed...
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-E...

You mean hasn't failed yet. If you value your data, make a backup before messing with the partition structure.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 9:24:37 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You mean hasn't failed yet. If you value your data, make a backup before messing with the partition structure.

Bubble... Meet pin.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 9, 2012 5:51:25 AM

Just sayin', can only tell it like it is... and we all back up regularly on two alternate devices, so no worries if there's a hiccup, eh?
m
l
October 9, 2012 8:13:59 AM

Actually no partition software could 100% guarantee data protective so backup your important data is recommended. And compare with EaseUS another partition magic alternative software AOMEI Partition Assistant is very perfect.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:53:28 AM

If you are using Windows 7, you can shrink or expand a partition as required through Computer Management. I've created multiple partitions on my OS drive without a hitch. However as everyone here has pointed out, there is ALWAYS a possibility of data corruption, so please backup or at least take a snapshot/image of the system drive in case you need to re-image.
Also keep in mind that the partitioning done from within Windows does take time depending on how large the new partition is and the physical drive size.

Added information:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2674-partition-vol...
m
l
!