Is there a way to change from 32 bit win7 pro to 64 bit

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
without buying a new copy of WIN7 PRO , Laptop came with 32 bit home prem and I upgraded to pro , but only 32 bit , can't use all the mem with 32 bit .
. I have win 7 pro 64 discs can I install that and use the serial number from the upgrade to change from 32 bit to 64 bit ?

G

Yes, you would need to do a clean install to upgrade to 64 bit. Keep your serial # close.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Hi...

The only option you have is to back up all your critical data and format the system drive and re-install the 64-bit OS. You can search hi and low on the inter-tubes and they will all provide you with the same answer.

There is no way possible to physically upgrade a 32 bit install to 64 bit. Specifically, yes, you can use the same license to "upgrade" with, but the actual installation will be a brand new fresh one, there are too many major differences in the way the OS kernel it's self works to make it physically "upgradable". So you will need to save all your files, and reinstall all your programs. Be happy to know that the vast majority of modern 32 bit programs will reinstall and work perfectly fine under a 64 bit OS.

Just interested in the disks, did you get a 32bit and a 64bit 'Upgrade' disk with the upgrade pack? If so you'll be upgrading Pro to Pro, post how you get on....(Never used an upgrade disk, so just curious..)

It will save the old 32 OS install into a folder called Win7.old, or something like that, and then do a complete fresh install of the 64 bit version of the OS. You will have to reinstall all programs and apps under the new installation.

Pretty much the same as an ordinary Install disk then, choosing 'Upgrade' as opposed to 'Custom Install'...

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

it was an online upgrade , no disk involved , just a serial number for the upgrade , but I do have a full win pro dvd with the 64 and 32 bit , so I guess I'll use that and use the upgrade serial number when it asks for the serial number
Hope it works , 32 bit just des not cut it with 8 gb of mem.
Thanks guys !

Well, if it fails because you're using a plain install disk and the licence is fixed to the upgrade, you may have to re-install the Home Premium. Should be possible if you still have the recovery partition on your HDD...

jerry6

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
dodger ,
they gave a set of numbers I assume can be used for a reinstall using a disc , but you may be right it could be fixed to the upgrade and the partition ahome premium is on , hope not though