Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell Laptop Bypass the center pin on the power supply.

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 7, 2011 1:14:08 PM

Hello,

Has anyone figured out a way to bypass the center pin and use a regular charger?

20.00 on ebay and my new dell charger will be here but in the mean time I want to have a charged battery so that I do not have to reboot every time I move to the truck from the house.
a b D Laptop
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 7, 2011 1:29:18 PM

Splice the connector end to a generic charger that has the same or better specs regarding DC voltage and watts.
Score
February 14, 2011 5:37:53 AM

Ubrales said:
Splice the connector end to a generic charger that has the same or better specs regarding DC voltage and watts.

I did splice in but that caused the laptop to work but not to charge the battery.

im thinking there is something else to communicate to the computer that there is another charger.

Thanks though
Score
Related resources
March 14, 2011 8:11:38 PM

the center pin on the dell charger sends a small signal to the laptop to start or stop charging the battery. most replacement or charger look alikes have voltage ratings at the center pin which disables the charging system on dells. the signal on dell chargers comes from a small prom chip inside the charger. its probably unlikely you can bypass this, especially by splicing the cord to another charger.
Score
a b D Laptop
a c 87 ) Power supply
March 14, 2011 10:08:55 PM

mercrls said:
the center pin on the dell charger sends a small signal to the laptop to start or stop charging the battery. most replacement or charger look alikes have voltage ratings at the center pin which disables the charging system on dells. the signal on dell chargers comes from a small prom chip inside the charger. its probably unlikely you can bypass this, especially by splicing the cord to another charger.

Yet another 'Dell proprietary' feature to force consumers to buy Dell products at exorbitant prices.
Score
March 22, 2011 3:30:49 AM

Would be nice to know what that prom signal was and how to recreate it.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 26, 2012 2:32:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!