pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was getting a new system in a few weeks and was looking for some PC3200 RAM that I can get down to CL2 timings. I wanted to know if wusy or someone had experience with some cheap RAM that could do this easily. I wasn't really looking into overclocking, I just wanted to tighten the timings.

And I was eventually going to go with 2GB of RAM, probably 4x512. The system was a A64 3000+ 939, not sure which mobo to pick. Are there mobos out there that can't handle tightening timings? I know its imperitive for overclocking but wasn't sure if it was so for timings.

<A HREF="http://www.big-boys.com/articles/leeroy.html" target="_new">Leeroy you phenom!</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crucial Ballistix PC3200 runs at 2-2-2-8 (rated timings), Corsair has some PC3200 2-2-2-5. I'd just jump up to the Ballistix PC4000 2.5-3-3-8 and drop it to 2-2-2-8, and plan for later overclocks.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been told the Epox NF4-ultra is a good board to tweak with...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I've had good experience with OCZ and found <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211" target="_new">this</A>.
I wasn't sure if there were value ram that could tighten there timings to a pure CL2 level. That Crucial Ballistix (PC3200) were pretty cheap so I may go with those. The overclocking option with PC4000 would be pretty cool, but being an owner of a gig of VX ram, the only thing I felt doing was tightening the timings.

(\__/) + (\__/) = ((\\____//))
(='.'=) + (='.'=) = ((==''..''==))
(")_(") + (")_(") = ((""))__((""))
BunnyFusion!!! It looks like there is no stopping bunny now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's a great freaking price! I just ordered 2GB of that new Corsair XMS3500LL Pro, heck Newegg has it but it's not even on Corsair's list yet.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I have a DFI NF4 Ultra. But I'm getting rid of my rig and building one of the nearly the same performance for about $500 less. Lets just say I found some places to buy from :smile: .

I always thought Abit was all bells and wistles but couldn't overclock worth a hizzy. I'll have to look at those also.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
There already on back-order. Wow.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
It looked like dfi knew what they were doing when I got my board. But which version should I be looking <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=1283&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=736:7587&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=22&Submit=Property" target="_new">at</A>
Under $100 was my goal. There are primarily the KN8 and AN8 versions.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Does it matter if the brand of memory I'm getting isn't on their list?

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
So is there any difference between these two.
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211" target="_new">1</A>
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227204" target="_new">2</A>
#2 looks oddly similar to the PC4000 VX.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that's odd, obviously the first one is better for stock speeds.

pokemon

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
I was thinking about going with #2 though, I'm sure they advertise it lower on stock voltage to let you know it can reach higher frequencies on tighter timings, with higher voltages of course. I think I'm going to stick with the 1G of ram though. Probably invest in a 500W FPS PSU, get the ABIT Mobo wusy suggested and stick with a 3000+.