RonDardis

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Hello,
I have a 220v mobile espresso cart.
The location where I'd like to put the cart in on a 110v system. Is there anyway to connect the cart to the outlet or adapt the cart itself?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
depends on what the cart requires.
if it needs the current from the 220v .. then the only way to make that happen is to provide the current.
110v fuse arent readily available to handle the same current as the 220v fuses.
also
the fuse box has tabs for the circuit breakers.. trying to use ONE set of tabs for the current might cause those tabs to either melt or get really really hot and maybe melt the circuit breaker.
could come at the cost of increased electrical consumption if the tabs get hot and refuse to allow electricity through.
you could end up wasting like 500 watts of power for when the tabs get hot.

220v circuit breakers take up two 110v slots.. and that means there are extra tabs to allow the current to flow.

the frequency to make the cart operate fully might be different at 220v than at 110v
i know that we are supposed to see 60hz for 110v ... but who REALLY knows if 220v frequency is really 60hz
maybe it is 55hz or 65hz ?
that could really make the espresso cart unhappy.. to the point of working less efficient and completely dieing soon.
or
maybe it works better, and maybe it works better and completely dies soon.

as the final thought..
it might not be the current being used at all.. as it might be the voltage number needed.

electrical people can make adaptors for doubling 110v to 220v at the power outlet (plugging the adaptor into the wall outlet)
they can also change the voltage frequency too.
but
the only thing they cant do is request more current from the wall outlet because there would be problems in the fuse box.

how the adaptor is made depends on whether you save electricity or use a lot more (or use exactly the same).