Format USB HD??

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
My friend bought a USB 2.0 HD by Comstar. When I plug it into his or my system, windows XP finds the USB device, but does not display it as a hard drive. Inside device manager, the driver is installed properly, and the drive is recognized. The problem lies down to the drive isn't formatted or parititioned properly.

When I start Parition Magic 7.0 or 8.0, the program crashes with the error message "Bad Parition table data". So I used the windows XP start up disk to re-partition the disk, and I couldn't use it to format the drive for some reason.

So does anyone know how I can format the hard drive??

Thanks,

MIng

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I mananaged to get the HD to show up under My Computer when I initially turn it on. When I left click on it, windows says "THe drive is not formatted, would you like to format it??" When I click yes, windows says it cannot format the drive.

Do I have a dead HD?? Also, the message from Parition Magic "Error 100: Parition Table is Bad" is also a little worrying. I was tempted to take the drive out of the box, but it's an aftermarket solution, and I do not want to break the warranty sticker.

Cheers,

Ming

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Yeah, It's my friend's HD, and he never got it to work. However, it's past 30 days, so he may need to warranty the HD. I was just wondering if there was some way I could fix it.

Back to the store it goes :D