Constantly Have to Reset Router

I have two computers connected to a D-Link DI-804U router. Only one
computer is in use about 99% of the time. At seemingly random times,
however, I will be unable to connect to the Internet (via SBC DSL,
PPPOE) and am forced to go into the router's setup, where I see
"Cable/DSL not active" and two buttons, "Release" and "Renew."
Clicking "Renew" solves the problem and an IP address is displayed.

I'm getting tired of this and am ready to buy a new router, if this is
indeed the cause. Please advise.
2 answers Last reply
More about constantly reset router

    A couple of things then.

    First this newsgroup is for the Microsoft networking hardware only.

    Second your ISP is sending you a PADT which terminates your PPPoE
    connection (This is the cause of this problem about 99.99999999999% of
    the time with the remaining being an AOL connection which will drop for
    no reason whatsoever).

    Third the solution is unknown to me because you are not using the
    Microsoft hardware.

    I'd suggest posting in either a general networking newsgroup or one
    specifically for D-link.

    noozgroop wrote:

    > I have two computers connected to a D-Link DI-804U router. Only one
    > computer is in use about 99% of the time. At seemingly random times,
    > however, I will be unable to connect to the Internet (via SBC DSL,
    > PPPOE) and am forced to go into the router's setup, where I see
    > "Cable/DSL not active" and two buttons, "Release" and "Renew."
    > Clicking "Renew" solves the problem and an IP address is displayed.
    >
    > I'm getting tired of this and am ready to buy a new router, if this is
    > indeed the cause. Please advise.

    I am experiencing the same problems with my MN-700. It
    seems to perform a disconnet every 30 minutes. I do
    remember seeing a setting that allows you to disconnect
    connections after a set number of minutes. Do anyone
    recall that setting?

    In fact, i have to reset (release and renew) my
    configurations. Oh, I am using all Microsoft Hardware.

Routers Networking