jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I installed ZoneAlarm (version 2 Pro), a bunch of things ask for excess I said yes to all, accept for messenger. It ask if I wanted to update, so I did. Pretty much after that I been lock out of the Internet. When I uninstall and reinstall ZoneAlarm, it recognizes the previous setting, even though I said to get rid of everything and deleted the folders.

I have firewall on, don't know if that matters or not. Does anybody have any suggestions to what I have to do. I'm not sure what is stopping me from getting on the Net, but don't really feel like fooling around to see just what setting, or settings or version is stopping me. Thanks

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.firewall-net.com/en/zonealarm/config.php?PHPSESSID=418eea97db903bde677cd77f09b1b20d" target="_new">Configuration of ZoneAlarm</A>

but don't really feel like fooling around to see just what setting, or settings or version is stopping me.
My friend ... that's just a bad attitude, and there's no good excuse for it. You already know if you want to run a new program, you are going to have to be willing to read through the documentation and figure out how to use it. Nearly everything you will ever install will need to be customized. I don't recall using too many programs in the past that worked correctly with nothing but the default settings.

This kind of mindset is the biggest reason I post in online forums ... trying to convince people to protect themselves, and to do the necessary research before installing new hardware and software. In other words, to avoid being lazy, and trying to do as little as possible to run their computers, like it's a big refrigerator that has only one purpose ... to cool your beer, milk and ham salad.

A computer is a little more complex than that, and does a bit more than just keep the mustard chilly. Ergo, it requires more work to maintain than the 'fridge.

I think that a power-user like yourself has an inherent responsibility to set a good example. But that's just my opinion, and you know how I am. You may disagree. I know that you've had some frustating experiences recently. But that's still not a good reason to deliberately cause even more problems with your computers.

By the way, if you installed this version in Win98Se, you're alright. But you'll need version 3 to be compatible with WinXP.

As for your specific problem, go down the Program list, and start looking to see if there is a service or a program that has been denied Local or Internet Access.

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hi Toey

"My friend ... that's just a bad attitude, and there's no good excuse for it.'

The reason I said that was because I was lacking motivation. Sure at point blank, it seems stupid for saying that. I recall last time installing ZoneAlarm, as long as I gave excess to everything right away I was ok. I then made a upgrade that added a few new feature. A lot of good these features did, because they stopped a lot of web pages from working or displaying the page correctly. I disable all the features that I just upgraded and then everything was back to normal.

Now I do the same with WinXP, also make the upgrade and notice many many more feature to tweak, I'm thinking isn't this just lovely, why does it have to be so complicated. I'm using a hub, does that matter? I have my Firewall on, does that matter? Do I have the right version, why does ZoneAlarm look so different? Do I have to click or un click every freaking check box, which I did, but there were many more to click. I'm thinking to myself I said ok to everything from the get go, why isn't it working! I shouldn't have to go check something to say yes I would like access to the Interenet. So many questions, so many possibility's. And the bottom line, do I even need ZoneAlarm, because WinXP already has Firewall.

I just wasn't pacific enough with my concerns. I'll upgrade again to version 3 and go from there.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Honestly, ZoneAlarm 2.0 with XP is so so with performance. When ZA 3.0 first came out for XP it really sucked, but the last two updates fixed any issues and with the many added built-in features of ZA 3.0, I say upgrade. It's ad blocker alone is worth it. It blocks 99% of pop-ups and even ad banners, and it's intergrated with the firewall, thus saving the resources of having two seperate programs.

So my suggestion, upgrade to 3.0... 2.0 will continue to only provide iffy performance.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Finally got it to work, disabled everything till I got it to work. I even updated to version 3. something. At first I didn't think I was going to be able to, cause it was talking about version 3.0 to a newer one, me coming from version 2 was surprised it work. During the install it was acting funny, first saying it can't because of a missing file, but at the same time, it was working. So two things pop up, one saying no dice, and the other one going threw. Anyway it seems to be working ok.