USB Hub off ebay won't do 2.0

Superphilipp

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Hi.

I got a USB hub off of ebay claiming to be USB 2.0. The description was "Aktiv USB 2.0 Hub - 7 Port - mit Netzteil" (= "with PSU"). So it came with a PSU, which of course I connected. It says "USB 2.0 hub" right on the hub, and there's also a "USB 2.0: 480 Mbps" sticker.

Plugging the hub into any of my mobo's (Asrock 939 dual SATA2) USB ports, all of which are USB 2.0, yields the same result: Devices connected to the plug will work, but only at "Full-Speed" (USB 1.1). If I connect my 2.0 webcam, which was the point of this exercise, a vista balloon popup says "This device could perform faster" and recommends connecting it to a USB 2.0 port. A-hah-hah.

The two (seperated into one three- and one four-port) "Generic USB hub"s that pop up in the device manager both have "Hub is operating at full speed" in their "Advanced" tab, and correctly list all the connected devices under "Power". Just my webcam isn't properly recognised, which you wouldn't expect from a 1.1 hub.

Did I buy junk off of ebay or am I missing a special driver? My OS (Vista Ultimate 32 bit SP1) is fully updated.

PCKing

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
That's the reason why I really hate eBay when it comes to computer stuffs. You don't have a chance to test it like the one you can do on a computer resale store.